Ch.33: The Rival Lord
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The house of Fenwick. One house brought into nobility because of their connection to the king. Their bloodline possesses a special power that was pivotal to defeating the demon lord, and because of this, they hold a special position over all other nobles. The current Count Fenwick has gained a notorious reputation while his heir and son are equally infamous. Seeking further power, he joined the war, wanting to indulge in absolute power outside of his father’s grasp.

 

Glyn leads Fenwick up to the manor as his guard surrounds him. He examines the area with a smug expression on his face, stopping every few steps to comment on the surroundings. As they arrive at the manor, the pawns stand around the entrance curiously as Fenwick stares at them.

            “Are these all your soldiers, Glyn? It’s somewhat shabby, of course. What could one expect from such a rural island?” He glances at each of them, taking special note of the girls and licking his lips. “But there are some amazing fruits hidden in this dirt.”

He turns to Mila, only for Miller to step in front of him.

            “I remind you. You cannot lay a finger on me or my allies until the week is up.” Glyn says, not turning back.

He nods. “That’s fine. I was just joking. I’m not so unbecoming to demand another man’s woman. But we have much to discuss Glyn Mattox.”

            “I guess we do.”

Glyn leads him inside as Mila stares at him.

            “Who is that guy?” Fiona asks.

            “And why is he followed by all women?” Ivar asks.

Miller takes a breath. “He’s one of the King Candidates and someone Glyn seems to know. His attitude changed the moment he saw him.”

            “He seemed more rigid than before,” Tan says.

Rufus shakes his head. “So, they have issues. But why is he here? I thought those petty lords weren’t supposed to move around until the end of the week.”

            “That’s what Glyn is trying to figure out how I imagine.”

 

Glyn leads Fenwick into his study as he sits down on a makeshift sofa. He stares around at the dingy room as he shakes his head. Glyn ignores him, sitting opposite as Fenwick snaps his fingers and his guards stand behind him.

            “So, what is this about?” Glyn asks.

            “You know what this is about. I was chasing a criminal. You know we cannot let criminals have their way on our islands. We need to maintain law and order.”

            “Would this criminal happen to be an Elf?”

He laughs. “What? Feel some type of companionship to an Elf? Is your Elvan side showing now?”

            “I despise my Elvan half. Although I equally despise my human half. I’m a Half-Elf, not part Elf or part human, get it right already.”

            “Sorry. I apologize if I’ve offended you in any way.”

            “If you cared, then you would’ve remembered after the third time.”

He smiles. “Come now. We both know how busy we are. I’ve been managing some territory in my father’s lands while you’ve been away studying. There’s oh so much to remember and keep track of.” He turns to face his guards. “Isn’t that right, ladies?”

            “Yes, My Lord!” The four yell out in unison.

            “Are these your allies?”

            “If you mean my pieces, they are just some of my Pawns. I’ve acquired a full set, but it appears you’re quite lacking. Am I right?”

Glyn tenses up as the door opens. Mila and Miller enter making their way to Glyn’s side. The pair stand behind him at attention as Glyn stares at them.

He smiles, leaning forward. “Well, you know what they say. It’s about quality, not quantity. My Pawn here might just be worth two or more Knights if you ask me.”

            “So, you say.” He says. “But let us discuss our plans for the future.”

            “Yes, let us discuss,” Glyn says.

            “Plans for the future?” Mila asks.

            “Did Glyn not tell you? His house and mine or linked.”

Glyn nods. “Yes. My family is technically a vassal to House Fenwick. But we have long bought our lands from them and earned the rights of minor nobility.”

            “That might be a fact, but do not forget the old contracts that still bind us. And who your family relies on for protection and economic resources.”

            “Trust me, I remember that. But that has nothing to do with us right now.” Glyn stands and smiles. “During the duration of the war, the candidates are to abandon all former ties and holdings for the sake of the war! That includes old contracts and family ties!”

Fenwick shakes his head. “Yes, that is true on paper. But in the end, the war has to end sometime and I’m sure that any words said during the war will have an effect afterward.”

            “If you survive, that is.”

            “Oh, is that a threat, Mattox?”

Glyn smirks. “I can tell you’re nervous. It’s in your posturing and voice. You came in with your guards and they’ve kept their hands on their weapons this entire time.” Glyn nods, leaning back into his chair. “I admit they are nice eye candy. But I wonder just how skilled they are compared to my warriors.”

Miller pulls out his sword and stares at the girls. “I’m ready to test my metal.”

            “I am too!” Mila yells out, grabbing her sword.

Fenwick laughs, his laughter echoing throughout the room. “You’ve got some balls on you, Glyn!”

            “Do I have your full attention now?”

            “Oh, you sure do. We both know neither of us can attack. The shadows are watching us closely.” Fenwick smiles and claps his hands. The girls lower their guard as he leans forward. “I’ll soon leave you to your devices. But know this as soon as this war begins, I will come straight to you and when I do, I’ll crush you, your little party here, and I’ll burn this entire island and take what’s valuable for myself.”

Glyn stands. “And when I beat you. I’ll finally get you to shut your bloody trap.”

            “But there is one thing. I cannot leave until the criminal is in my possession. Hand over the Elf and I will leave you to it.”

The doors open and Tisha walks in. She bows to Fenwick and then moves over to Glyn, bowing.

            “Report,” Glyn says.

            “I’ve come to say the Elf is dead. He died peacefully, letting out one last breath.” She says with her eyes closed.

Fenwick shakes his head. “That is a shame. I was hoping to have him for a bit longer. It was fun to see him tremble and squirm while we tortured him.”

Tisha shakes as Glyn puts his hand on her shoulder. “You heard her. Your criminal is dead. So, you have no business here anymore, unless you’ve suddenly gained interest in a corpse.”

            “It would be too costly to drag a dead body along with us at sea. I will let you deal with cleaning up the mess. It’s a role you should get used to for as soon as I am king, you’ll be assigned to cleaning the royal toilet's sewage.” Fenwick stands, making his way to the doors. “And I’m so jealous. Not only that cute fox, but such a lovely Elf. I can’t wait to have a taste of them.”

Fenwick’s guards open the doors and he leaves with Miller going behind them as an escort.

            “You did well holding yourself back,” Glyn says to Tisha.

Mila rushes to her side. “Are you okay?”

She stands glaring at the doorway. “That was the one, right?”

            “Yeah. The young Count Fenwick son and heir of the old Count Fenwick.” Glyn sits down in his chair. “The asshole is so pompous he refuses to even use his first name, only his family name. Not that I can blame him.”

Tisha sighs. “I’ll kill him. I don’t care whose son he is. The things he did…. He is truly someone who has no right getting a hold of the power the throne holds.”

            “I know what you mean. That asshole is the reason I came out here.”

            “Really?” Mila asks.

Glyn nods. “Yeah. I came here to this little war for one purpose. To make sure that he doesn’t get his hands on the crown and if necessary that I put him on the ground with my own hands!”

            “Glyn.” Mila grabs his hand.

            “It’s alright. I’m just a little antsy.” Glyn says. “Hose Mattox owes quite a lot to the Fenwick’s. It’s just a shame that the latest generation is nothing more than a duo of assholes.” Glyn says, staring out of the window at the large black ship. “We have a lot to prepare for. Much more than I originally imagined.”

1