Ch.43: The Path to War pt.3
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a dark basement, two men sit tied up in chairs, unconscious, as Glyn stands in the room's corner, reading. As one man awakens, Glyn closes his book as they turn towards him. He stands up to stand before the pair. He stares into the man’s eyes, examining him as he notices an odd shine glowing around his eyes.

            “I see that’s how it is. I guess you can’t trust those close to you, huh?” He says, walking away from the man.

            “You’re the Lordling brat. I don’t know what your game is, but we won’t talk. You can’t get anything out of us.”

Glyn nods. “I know that. You idiots signed a cursed contract. There was no way Fenwick was going to let you live. That would’ve left him too many loose ends.”

            “What’re you talking about?”

            “I’m talking about the contract he had you sign before coming out here. It was cursed. Or he’s using some high-grade magic to see through your eyes. It’s hard to tell, but if you look in a mirror, you’ll notice an odd, subtle glow behind your eyes. That’s him watching.”

            “What? There’s no magic like that!”

            “It’s a curse. A corruption of magic genius. Either way, he’s watching us right now. How’re you doing Fenwick?”

            “You're insane.”

Glyn sighs. “I’ve been trying to find some way to save you, but I don’t have the right resources, so sadly, there’s nothing I can do for you.”

            “Hey what do you mean? What’s going to happen?”

            “Your friend died from a heart attack caused by a curse tied to your contract. The only thing I can do now is make your last moments peaceful. But sadly, I can’t let you go because of how much damage you could cause to the island.”

The man turns to the unconscious man, noticing he’s not breathing. “Hey. Hey, what did you do to him?”

            “Nothing. He woke up first and died from his curse. I believe it’ll happen to you soon enough.”

The man stares at Glyn as his heart races. “Hey wait. Wait…. Wait….” He screams out as his heart races and he suddenly stops.

            “Rest well,” Glyn says, closing his book as he stands up and leaves the basement.

At the top of the stairs, Miller and Rufus stand.

            “We could’ve joined you down there,” Miller says.

Rufus nods. “We are supposed to help you.”

            “Thanks. But I’d rather not have Fenwick get a better look at you. Now we have to prepare.”

Miller nods. “I’ve gathered everyone in the courtyard again.”

            “Thanks. And the bodies.”

            “We’ll take care of them don’t worry about it,” Rufus says.

Glyn clenches his teeth. “I have to take care of Fenwick. Someone who sees lives as so disposable is someone who shouldn’t sit on any throne.”

 

The three enter the courtyard, where everyone stands around. Glyn nods as everyone stands around. Mila rushes up to him as Tisha grabs her and shakes her head. He takes a breath and forces a smile on his face as everyone nods.

            “The saboteurs have been taken care of. And with the war’s start only four days away, I doubt he’ll have the time to play that game again. Now we also only have four days to get work done, but I have a plan and it’ll work to keep the village safe. I just ask all of you to believe in me and go along with it. If you have any objections, I’ll hear them here.”

Mila nods as she stands in front of the group. “Glyn. We’re ready. There’s a lot of work we have to do, but we’re ready to do it and we’re ready to do it.”

            “Then let’s get to work, everyone. Ivar, go check on your uncle’s progress with the boat. Rufus check our weapons and makes sure we’re ready for a fight. And Faye, check on our food stores.”

            “Roger!” They all say in unison.

Tisha nods. “I’m going to make some new arrows. It’ll take some time for me to prepare them and charge them with my magic.”

Zanrit nods. “I’ll seal up the dungeon for now. In its current state, it’d be bad if someone were to disturb it.”

            “Thanks, you two. Mila.”

            “Yes!”

            “I have a special task for you. We’re going to make use of the magic circle in the basement to prepare something special.”

She nods. “Ready!”

            “Glyn. Is there anything else we’ll need to prepare?”

            “Nothing I can think of now. But when this craziness is over, if we survive, then we should celebrate. But if I should die, I want you to do what you can to flee with your lives. Understood?”

Everyone nods.

            “I have no intentions of sacrificing myself anytime soon,” Otso says.

Sam nods along. “I’ll do what I can to defend the captain. Outside of that, I have no obligations to avenge anyone.”

            “Good. Let’s make sure none of us dies.” Glyn turns to Miller. “And Miler, I’ll do what I can to keep Mila safe. I know you’ll worry too much if she’s out in the field and you can’t watch over her.”

Miller coughs. “Thank you. But Mila is a fine warrior in her own right. You make sure you don’t go passing out from using too much magic.”

            “That’s a hard thing to promise. But I’ll try my best.”

Mila smiles as her tails swing in the wind. “Everyone! Let’s do our best and win this game!”

            “You don’t have to tell us twice.” Tan says.

Fiona nods. “We’re gonna beat their asses and win this and beat that prick back!”

Faye smirks and rushes up to Mila. “We’re gonna show that idiot what happens when you mess with us.”

            “Let’s have a good war,” Zanrit says.

Tisha rolls her eyes. “What the hell is a good war?” She pulls out her arrows and stares into the distance. “I won’t rest until I run that asshole through with a quiver full of arrows.”

Glyn smirks, looking out at the group. “Looks like I don’t have to say anything to rally the troops. All I can say now is, let’s kick his ass!”

            “Roger!” Everyone yells out at once.

0