Ch.56: Fenwick’s Last Stand
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Glyn and the others stand on the edge of a cliff overlooking a wide, green valley in the middle of the mountains. In the middle of the lush greenery, a large modern manor sits surrounded by a bubble that pulsates with magical energy. Pepper walks to the front of the group, holding out the staff Magic Tool and gathering her mana as the staff glows. She unleashes a burst of air down at the bubble, breaking it in a loud burst that echoes across the mountainside.

            “Alright then. Hey Ricard, you want to say it?” Glyn asks, turning to Ricard.

Ricard rolls his eyes and turns back to the group of men brandishing weapons gathered behind them. “Fine then. Let’s force that asshole off our island!”

The crowd cheers and holds their weapons high, ready for the fight to come.

 

Inside his manor, Fenwick watches from his study, staring out of the window as his barrier breaks. Two mercenaries run in and he turns to them with a stern expression on his face.

            “Sir! The barrier’s broken and an army of islanders is on their way.”

            “Calling it an army would be optimistic.” He says. “The real threat is Glyn and his forces. They’ll be coming too.”

A burst of energy comes out of his body as he grabs a sword from under his desk. He smiles and walks from the desk and moves to the doorway.

            “Let’s go. Let’s mop up these peasants and then take care of Glyn and his mob. I’ll have to put my future brother-in-law in his place.” Fenwick says with a stern look on his face. “Let’s move!”

 

Outside of the manor, the mercenaries clash with the islanders. The weakened islanders mounting whatever energy they have left to push their offensive. But the mercenaries push back twice as hard as unrelenting. Zanrit swings his club at the mercenary’s defensive line, forcing open a hole for the islanders use to charge ahead, getting behind several of them and forcing their lines into chaos. Amongst the ongoing battle, Glyn walks forward with Tisha and Mila at his side. Pepper walks behind the group as Tisha fires off arrows at random mercenaries and Mila takes down any mercenaries that draw in close.

            “These mercenaries aren’t as impressive as I expected them to be,” Glyn says.

Mila knocks one back with a fireball as she turns to Glyn. “Maybe they’re just too many of them for them to be of note?”

            “Or more likely the idiot paid for quantity more than quality,” Tisha says.

Pepper nods. “Most of the skilled combatants went to Jubert Island or were sent on investigations.”

            “So, he’s spread himself too thin. Works perfectly for me.” Glyn stares ahead. “Let’s get inside that tacky place and bring it all down.”

            “That’s an idea I like!” Tisha fires off an arrow that flies into the ground.

The arrow grows into a large vine that erupts from the ground, forcing open a pathway to the manor’s door. Zanrit joins the group as they move forward, taking out any mercenaries that rush towards them.

            “You got this Ricard?” Glyn asks, looking back.

Ricard shakes his head. “Hurry up and take out that idiot!”

            “Okay, we will.”

 

Glyn and the others rush inside and, as the doors open, a pair of mercenaries charge towards them. Zanrit beats them away, sending them flying into a wall as the group makes their way through the halls. The group walks through the halls as Glyn shakes his head at the decadent decor as everyone keeps their eyes out for any traps.

            “So where would he be?” Tisha asks, pulling back on her bow. “I’m waiting to shove an arrow into his chest.”

She fires off an arrow at a mercenary sneaking up on them.

            “And this place is infested with mercenaries. Just how much money did he have to throw around?” Zanrit asks.

            “He probably got a loan from a relative. But as for where he is….”

            “He’s likely hiding in the ballroom waiting for you,” Pepper says.

            “Sounds like him.” Glyn rolls his eyes. “Let’s get this mess over with!”

 

The group moves through the halls to the back of the manor to a large, opulent room shining with splendor. In the middle of the overly elegant ballroom, a handful of mercenaries stand around waiting for the group and above them on the second floor, Fenwick stands looking down at Glyn as he holds onto his sword.

            “It’s been a while, Glyn.”

            “It’s been over a week. But I guess you could say that’s a while,” Glyn says as a smile comes to his face. “How’s it feel to be on your last legs?”

Fenwick laughs. “You have put me in quite a pickle. I was trying to prepare for unknown threats, but I should’ve expected something from you before anyone else.”

            “Well, you were planning to strike at me first.”

            “Yes, I was. Although it appears some of my forces went above my orders and sabotaged you. For that, I do apologize.”

            “Huh? I didn’t think you’d apologize for anything. Maybe you should say sorry to all those girls you deflowered back at school.”

Fenwick laughs. “They should be thankful. Some of them should be so lucky as to carry the bastard of House Fenwick.”

            “You and your father are scum, you know that?”

            “Be it as it may. But we both know the allegations surrounding your parentage.”

Glyn glares at Fenwick as a black mist spills out of his book. “That just proves the entire bloodline is scummier than I can imagine.”

            “Come then, whether you be my brother or brother-in-law, today you are my enemy and here and now I’ll crush you and end your ambitions!” Fenwick yells out.

Glyn laughs. “I hold no ambitions to take the throne. My only reason for being in this game is to take you out and stop someone like you from getting it. You rushing out to me did me a huge favor.”

            “So, my haste is the architect of this mess. No matter, destroy them all!” He yells out, ordering the remaining mercenaries.

Glyn holds out his hand. “Let’s end this mess!”

Two mercenaries charge ahead, brandishing oversized blades. Zanrit runs in and counters them as both sets push him back as a third comes in. Tisha fires off an arrow that knocks them back as a pair of fireballs launch forward at the group. Mila fires off a blast, taking out the fireballs as Glyn stands behind her, holding out his book as he gathers mana to cast a spell.

            “Better now than never……”

Before he can fire off his spell, Pepper walks up from behind him and grabs his hand, pulling him back. “I’m sorry.”

            “Pepper, so you couldn’t hold out any more? I should’ve guessed this would happen.”

Glyn stares at her face as her chest glows from the Queen Piece inside of her. Mila forces Pepper back as she clutches at her chest and falls to the ground.

            “What’s going on?” Mila asks.

            “Glyn’s forcing her with the Queen Piece. She’s been resisting it, but she’s at her limits anymore and she’ll lose control over her mana.”

            “What!?” Tisha asks. “Hey, asshole. You should know that’d kill her, right!?” She yells at Fenwick.

Fenwick stares at Pepper with a disdainful look on his face. “It’s a shame. But she’ll get what a traitor deserves.”

Pepper laughs. “Sorry about this. It looks like this is where I’m going to meet my end.”

            “Pepper!” Mila yells out.

Pepper screams out as the air around her twists and twirls into rampaging small spirals. The room shakes as the air itself seems to quake, and Glyn turns his focus to her. Mila stands at his side as the two stare at her.

            “Tisha, Zanrit, take care of the mercs. I’ll take care of Pepper.”

The two stare at him and nod.

            “Glyn?” Mila asks.

            “I’m not letting her die. I’m going to save her and stop Fenwick all in one go!” He yells out holding out his hand. A Bishop Piece appears in the palm of his hand. “I’m defiantly going to save her!”

0