Extra Chapter 4: Consequences
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week after returning to Jubert Island, Glyn and the others work on restoring the manor to a more livable condition. With the help of the villagers and a lot of effort, the restoration was going along efficiently. After a hard day's work on rebuilding and refurbishing their home, everyone sits around the courtyard as they look over the training ground.

            “So maybe we should expand?” Miller asks.

            “Why?” Glyn asks.

            “Well, this Pepper girl uses magic, right? We don’t have the space for a magic user to train.”

Glyn nods. “Your right. We may have to expand the backyard a bit. But this space works well for standard warrior types.”

            “What about an archery field?” Tisha asks.

            “Why? You’re the only archer and you rarely miss.”

She shakes her head. “Come on, I need to practice. And besides that, I was thinking about teaching everyone some archery.”

            “That sounds too cumbersome.”

            “Come on, you could use some training. Every Elf worth their salt knows the basics of using a bow.”

Glyn smirks. “Well, I’m a Half-Elf so I’m fine with my current archery skills. Besides, I’m pretty sure you’re just trying to make fun of me.”

She turns her head away. “I’d never do that.”

            “Of course.”

Miller stares at the two and laughs.

            “What’re you laughing about!?” Glyn yells out.

            “Can you guys not shout? I want to enjoy this nap while the sun is out!” Faye yells out.

Fiona shakes her head. “Come on Faye. You can’t be this lazy.”

            “Just a quick little cat nap. We’ve been working hard for days. I’m in for a cheat day or two.”

Tan lands on the ground. “There’s no helping her when she gets like this.”

            “But she does have a point. We should take this lull to relax when we can. We don’t want to be too worn out if we suddenly get attacked.” Sam says.

            “But if we’re too lax, then we’re going to get beaten easily,” Fiona says.

Glyn stares at the group and laughs. “All of you make a valid point. But I say that right now it’s most important that we take a rest until we fully recover.”

            “See, the boss agrees with me,” Faye says.

            “It may be inappropriate, but we shouldn’t baby her too much. She’ll take every inch you give her.” Fiona says.

            “Maybe. But who’d want to mess with us right now? No one’s even caught onto us yet.” Glyn says.

Mila rushes through the gates towards the group, with Rufus following behind her.

            “Glyn, Brother, we’ve got trouble!” She screams out.

            “Big trouble,” Rufus says, trying to catch his breath.

            “What kind of trouble?” Miller asks.

            “A ship. A big one. It just docked in the harbor.”

Glyn tenses up. “Did you see who came out of it? Did they attack the village!?”

            “No. They docked and there were a ton of guys in some silver armor.”

            “Silver armor?” Glyn tilts his head. “Oh, crap. Those are the crown guard.”

As he speaks, the sound of horns echoes over the island as Glyn shakes his head.

            “Ah, crap.”

            “What?” Miller asks.

            “Everyone inside. We’ve got to at least present ourselves like we’re running properly.”

            “What’s happening?” Mila asks.

            “The armor and those horns don’t tell me….” Tisha says.

Glyn sighs. “Some noble asshole decided to have an unannounced visit. And judging from the fact that they can command the crown's guard, that means that they’re someone of high standing. Crap.”

            “What do we do?”

            “Well, they can’t start a fight here, no matter who they are or what’s happening on the mainland. It’ll be seen as interference and everyone will gang up on them. And sadly, I can imagine who they are.” Glyn shakes his head. “But let’s move inside for now. We can’t have an audience here, of all places.”

            “Nobles care a lot about appearances, don’t they?” Miller asks.

            “Sadly.” Glyn sighs. “Okay, everyone, follow my directions to the letter.”

 

Glyn sits in the waiting room of the manor with Tisha and Mila standing behind him. He takes in a breath to calm himself as the two watch over him. After a while, the door opens with Miller leading Fenwick into the room. He walks with a sluggish pace, hunched over and with his head low to the ground as another man walks alongside him. The brown-haired large rotund man walks inside wearing an elegant cloak, but keeping his sword at his side as he looks at Glyn with a smile.

            “Ah, young Mattox, it’s been some time, hasn’t it?”

            “A few years, Count Fenwick.” Glyn stands and bows to the man as Tisha and Mila follow his lead. “What do we do the honor of your presence?”

Count Fenwick sits down opposite Glyn and smiles. “Calm down, my boy. I just came to check on the situation here and stopped by and congratulate the winner of the first clash.”

            “It was nothing.”

            “I imagine. My boy isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. I can argue with that.” The count says.

Glyn turns to the still-motionless Fenwick. “I’m surprised you made the trip personally. Are the Shadow’s reports not enough?”

            “You know as well as I that sometimes you need to see things for yourself. I was coming to make sure that certain rules are being followed, but it looks like that isn’t an issue.”

            “Oh? Do tell.”

            “Sorry, but I cannot. I’ll make this trip brief. I do hope you have a fun time with the rest of this little game. Who knows, maybe you’ll win it all and sit on the throne.”

Glyn shakes his head. “Sorry to say I don’t believe I’d make it that far in the game.”

Count Fenwick smiles as everyone in the room turns to him, unable to look away. “You should have more confidence in yourself, my boy. You bested the heir to House Fenwick. Not a simple task, no matter the incompetence on display.”

            “I’m just trying to stay humble. I can’t picture rising above my station so much, but I’ll keep your words in mind.”

            “Good. Now I must be off. Have yourselves a good day.”

Count Fenwick leaves with Miller, escorting him out of the manor. After waiting a few minutes, the three breathe a sigh of relief.

            “What the hell was that!?” Tisha asks.

            “That man is….”

Glyn nods. “Count Fenwick. Considered the most despicable man in the royal court. I can understand most of his actions, but something about that man rubs me the wrong way, no matter how many times we meet.”

Mila’s eyes turn to a figure sitting on the couch. “Glyn!?”

            “Oh right. Hey, asshole, your dad’s leaving you behind.” Tisha says to Fenwick as he remains motionless. “Come on….”

Glyn stands in front of her. “Leave it, Tisha.”

            “Huh?”

As everyone watches, Fenwick’s head rolls off of his body and the corpse slumps over in his seat. The three stand in silence as the corpse sits motionless.

            “He’s dead,” Tisha says.

            “But he was walking earlier when he came in.”

            “A zombie spell. He was dead long before he came here.” Glyn says.

Tisha nods. “Did his father kill him for losing?”

            “Not the Count’s standard play. I imagine either his death was self-inflicted or someone got to him when they were on the boat.” Glyn examines the body. “It looks like the only post-mortem injury is his decapitation.”

            “What….”

            “Let’s cremate him.” Glyn stands up and turns away from Fenwick. “It’s not ideal. But it’s the only thing I can think to do to give him so peace.”

            “Fine, but what was that guy here for, anyway?” Tisha asks.

            “One to show us Fenwick was dead. Secondly, to drive the point home that he is watching us.” Glyn clenches his teeth. “That old bastard. One of these days….”

 

Count Fenwick walks down the road, headed back to town as a small smile forms on his face.

            “Come young Mattox. Show me what you are capable of, you boy. After all, I need at least one capable son to inherit the family name.”

0