Ch.64: Parent and Child
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            “Good evening, everyone. I’m Glyn’s mother Aoife. Thank you all for watching over my dear boy, and more, recently my dear daughter as well,” Aoife says, introducing herself.

Everyone gathers in the manor preparing for the night as the sun sets when Aoife walks through the doors with Tisha at her side. Tisha looks away, blushing brightly as Aoife stands with an ever-present grin on her face from her introduction.

            “Mother!” Glyn yells out.

He runs up to her, and she opens her arms wide, embarrassing him in a hug. “Oh, dear boy. Did you miss your Mama so much?”

            “Stop it, Mom!”

            “Mama!” Eliana yells out, rushing ahead.

            “Oh, Eli, come in here too.” She scoops up Eliana and holds her and Glyn tight. “Ah, how I missed having both my children in my arms.”

Glyn breaks free of her grip. “Cut that out, Mom. I’m far told old for that.”

            “No matter how hold you get, you’ll always be my baby.”

            “That’s going to be awkward considering at some point I’m going to look older than you considering I’m a Half-Elf.”

            “Oh, but don’t you know your mother’s genes are strong? You may end up baby-faced forever.”

Aoife and Glyn trade verbal blows as everyone watches the pair.

            “I think I get how Glyn became who he is now,” Sam says.

            “She’s a very energetic woman, that’s all I can say,” Ivar says.

Otso nods. “She seems to be a very magnetic person.”

Glyn glares at the three, who turn away nervously.

            “Anyway, Mother, why are you and Eli here? It’s not safe, you know, and you’re breaking the rules.”

            “We’re not. I confirmed it with the Shadows, and we are allowed temporary visitations. How do you think Count Fenwick came here?”

            “I don’t know. Political privilege.” Glyn pauses and then looks at his mother. “What you know….”

            “Everyone does. When he returned, he announced the death of his son and named a relative as the new heir to his house. Likely another child of his.”

Glyn laughs. “It’s almost comical. That idiot went solely by his family name and worked so hard to be recognized. Only to be replaced in less than a week.”

            “It is sad. But do not dwell on that.”

            “Why should I? That idiot dug his own grave. I just gave him the push he needed to fall into it. And I’d do it again to keep Eliana safe.” Glyn crosses his arms, staring at his mother.

Eliana holds close to Aoife as Glyn’s expression softens. “Glyn. I understand what you did. Why you came this far but….”

            “If you understand, then there’s nothing else that needs to be said. For now, let’s rest. The sun’s going to go down now and we almost have your room ready.”

            “Oh? We can’t stay in your room?” Aoife asks with a grin.

Glyn blushes. “What do you take me for a child!?”

            “Yes.”

            “Mother….”

            “Is there some reason we can’t share your room? Maybe you’re having a nightly rendezvous with one of the ladies here. There are plenty of lovely ladies on this island.”

Glyn blushes and shakes his head. “Fine, whatever!”

            “See Eli, I told you he’d listen.”

Eliana smiles before turning her head away. “Good. I have to ensure my Half-Brother isn’t engaging in illicit affairs with some trollop.”

            “Trollop, that’s a new one.”

            “See I’ve been studying!” Eliana yells out excitedly.

            “That’s good. I’m just concerned about what you’re studying.”

Aoife laughs, watching the two as everyone stares at them curiously.

            “So, this is a family?” Mila asks herself under her breath.

 

Elsewhere in the forest, two girls stand in front of a cavern as a monster rushes at them. They attack, capturing it and dragging it off into the cavern and then sealing it away.

            “That’s the third one tonight. Are you sure they’ll be ready?”

            “Trust me. I’m getting a bunch of them ready. This breeding pit is perfect for riling up a few powerful monsters.”

            “Are we sure we should do this? Would Fenwick want us to do this?”

One girl slaps the other in the face. “Shut up. If you want to run away now, then do it! I won’t turn away now! We’ll take out that Half-Elf Bastard and then we’ll kill the Count himself!”

            “But….”

She cries. “Did you hear how easily he tossed Fenwick aside? He didn’t even wait or mourn. He just tossed him away and chose someone else for ‘his’ role.”

            “You're right. We have to do this. We have to avenge Fenwick.”

 

Hours later, Glyn sits at his desk as his mother and sister sit on his bed, looking over the various books. Eliana, bored, puts down her book and rushes to Glyn’s side, grabbing hold of him with a bright smile. He returns her smile as Aoife looks at the pair with her smile.

            “So, why did you come here?”

            “I heard about Fenwick. You left to take care of him and now he’s gone, so you can come home now.”

Glyn pauses. “Eli I….”

            “Eliana.” Aoife holds out her arms. “Come now, it’s nearly your bedtime. If you stay up too late, you’ll get cranky.”

            “But I…”

            “Tomorrow, I’ll show you around the island. We don’t have anything too fancy, but we do have a dungeon.”

Eliana’s eyes go wide. “A dungeon! I’ve always wanted to go into one. Mom talks about how dangerous and awesome they were to dive into and I’ve always wanted to see one!”

            “Aria was an adventurous sort back in the day.”

            “From the way I hear it, you were the most dangerous one in that group.”

Aoife smiles. “Just because I know more about poisons than your average person doesn’t make me that dangerous.”

            “You scare me, Mom,” Glyn says.

            “Anyway, Glyn. I know you’re having a hard time what to do now. But I know in the end you’ll make the right decision.” Aoife says with a Glyn staring at her.

            “Mother, I… I’ve decided.” Glyn stares down at Eliana and smiles. “I have to protect Eliana. I will keep her safe.”

0