Ch.80: The Misty Isle pt.2
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Monsters move through the mist as Mila raises her sword. A bird shaped monster flies in bearing large talons at her as Mila swings her blade. Her sword moves through the monster like air, failing to slice through it as the talons dig into her arm. Glyn runs to her side as the monsters surround them. Mila leaps up in a rage as the flame around her tails burns brighter and hotter now with four tails extending from her body.

            “Leave us alone!” She screams, firing off a large fireball that burns away anything in its path.

The mist fades away, growing weaker as the fires around Mila burn brighter. Alongside the mist, the monsters slowly become transparent, barely able to stand amidst the heat.

            “Mila.” Glyn grabs hold of her as she rages. “Calm down Mila! Please listen to me!”

The King Piece in Glyn’s chest responds to him, glowing as Mila cries in pain. Her fourth tail fades away, leaving only three as Glyn falls over, an intense pain shoots through his body.

            “Damn it. That was a huge shot of Mana.”

Mila calms, taking a breath as she turns to Glyn. “Glyn!?”

            “Calm down, it’s only a bit of pain. Focus on the bizarre monsters around us.”

            “Oh, okay.” She turns to the monsters as they stare at her cautiously.

Glyn stares and smirks. “It looks like your little display spooked them a bit. Not like we can hit them, anyway.”

            “What can we do?”

            “Keep up the heat. They can’t leave that mist looks like, and your fire is keeping the mist away.”

            “Then how can we fight them?”

            “We can’t. For now, let’s make our way back to the beach and then wait for that sun to come up, then we can try again.”

She nods and increases the output of her flames. The mist breaks away, unable to withstand the heat as the pair slowly back away, keeping their eyes on the mass of monsters amid the mist. As they back away, a stream of water shoots ahead towards Mila, soaking her tails. As her flames die down, the mist grows thicker, surrounding the pair as the monsters rush forward.

Glyn grabs hold of his book cautiously, ready to cast a spell only for a figure to fly overhead. The figure crashes down, flapping a large pair of wings and sending a wave of wind out that blows the mist and the monsters away. They stand, turning towards Glyn and Mila and holding onto a large spear.

            “Who are you?” They ask obscured by the darkness.

Glyn smirks. “Sorry, but isn’t it proper manners to introduce yourself first?”

            “I was asking you?”

The mist encroaches upon the three as the monstrous figures return.

            “We have to get out of here,” Mila says as she shakes off the water. “Glyn….”

Glyn shakes his head. “Fine, we’ll leave. Besides, I’m sure we’ll see our mysterious savior again.”

            “I wasn’t saving you. I was trying to gather information.”

            “Same difference in this case.”

Mila tugs on Glyn’s arm, pulling him away. “We have to move!”

            “Alright, alright. Until next time!” Glyn waves at the figure as they hold out their spear.

They smirk as a monster rushes towards them. They swing their spear sending off a gust of wind that blows the monster away. Monsters surround them, brandishing clubs and weapons as the mist envelops them.

            “I fought my way out before. And I’ll do it as many times as it takes!” They yell, flying into the air.

 

Glyn and Mila exit the tree line and rush onto the beach, with Glyn falling over himself. Mila looks over at him and he sits up with a smirk on his face.

            “That was enlightening.” He says, laughing.

            “Glyn?”

            “Monsters made of mist. As if they were not fully formed, but they appeared conscious. Quite fascinating.”

            “Um… is it?”

            “On a purely academic level, it is. But for all intents and purposes in our case, its terrible news.” He shakes his head. “And while I couldn’t see it, one of them is capable of shooting water to take out your flames. I imagine that any other countermeasures against the mist have similar counters. Almost as if the mist itself were a thinking being developing ways to stop others.”

            “Is that the way you see it, Glyn, bastard of House Mattox?” A voice comes from the tree line.

A young man with short red hair leaps down from the trees, landing in front of Glyn and Mila wearing the rags of a suit. Glyn stares at him in disbelief before a smile returns to his face. He bows to the young man, who gives him a powerful stare.

            “And how might I help young Issac of House Pearson?” Glyn asks.

Mila looks on confused. “Glyn….”

            “It seems this island is more of a trap than I thought. Considering we ran into another King Candidate in a place like this.”

            “What!?”

            “You’re not one for beating around the bush. I heard a lot about you, so I know not to let my guard down around you. Even if you’re a Half-Elf who can’t use magic.”

            “Judging from the look of your clothes, you’re in a tight spot, too. So, let’s talk as castaway kings, shall we?”

0