Ch.87: Escape Plan
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            “So, they're stuck in a Misshapen Dungeon.” Tisha says.

Pepper nods. “Glyn says it’s a Malformed Dungeon.”

            “Either way, it’s a Dungeon without an exit. We have to smash them out of there.” Fiona says.

The three stand on the deck of the ship, looking out at the distant fog. Rufus works to maintain the wind barrier as Ivar patrols the waters searching for the Dungeon. The pirates look out cautiously as more tentacles emerge from the waters surrounding them.

            “Would smashing it apart work?” Tisha asks.

            “Let me ask,” Pepper says.

 

Glyn and the others sit inside the clearing around Mila as she reports everything Pepper tells her.

            “No smashing, it won’t work!” Glyn yells out. “Well, smashing alone won’t work.”

Isaac pauses. “If we destroy the Dungeon without stabilizing everything, who knows where we’d end up?”

            “What does stabilizing it even do?” Sam asks.

            “Dungeons are like spaces outside of our own space. The only reason we can return home afterward is that most Dungeons are anchored in place.” Glyn explains.

Isaac nods. “With Dungeons that aren’t fully formed, if they're destroyed before then, the occupants can spit out who knows where.”

            “We could end up on a random island, on the mainland, or even deeper underwater.” Glyn sighs and crosses his arms. “So, the first order of business would be dispelling the Miasma.”

            “If we get rid of the poison, wouldn’t the monsters be able to solidify and attack us? Not the mention that’s the only thing preventing them from swarming us,” Miller says.

Xia nods. “Correct. But if we sit here, we’re just wasting time. We need to get out fast!”

            “Let’s bring it to a vote.” Isaac stares at the group. “I’m in favor of stabilizing the Dungeon and breaking our way out.”

Xia nods. “I’m in agreement.”

            “Well, it is my plan, so I’m for it,” Glyn says.

Miller sighs. “I want to believe we have a safer option.”

            “I have to go against you on this, Boss. Our supplies are low as it is and we’re out of any healing items now.”

Mila nods. “We have to get out, no matter the risk.”

            “So that’s five for the plan and one against. The motion will carry forward.” Isaac stares at the spike. “But we’ll need nearly perfect coordination with the outside.”

            “Don’t worry. My team is pretty reliable when given proper instructions.”

 

Back on the ship.

            “So, we have to break the outside of the Dungeon when they attack the inside?” Tisha asks.

            “Yes. Glyn explains once it’s stabilized, an attack from outside will work to break apart the barrier and destroying the Dungeon’s Core will destroy it.” Pepper says.

The Captain taps his foot. “What does him fixing this Dungeon mean for us? These monsters have us surrounded, and if they’re not with the fog anymore, the barrier won’t work on them.”

            “Oh, we’ll be swarmed by monsters,” Pepper says with a smile.

            “What?”

            “The monsters will flood out of the Dungeon when we uncover it and most certainly attack us,” Fiona says.

Ivar leaps onto the ship. “Not to mention all these monsters mixed in with the fog. And I don’t think Rufus can hold the barrier up for too much longer.”

            “Either way, we’ll need to dispel the barrier to launch the attack.”

            “So, we’re opening ourselves up for an attack.” Fiona smiles as she holds out her ax. “I can’t wait! This’ll be so much fun!”

            “Before any of that, Ivar, did you locate where the Dungeon’s barrier is?”

Ivar nods. “There’s a space deep below us. I can use some skill to force the water away for a moment for an attack, but I’ll need Rufus’s magic.”

            “I’ll try my best!” Rufus yells in the background as he wheezes.

Pepper nods. “Yes. Until that barrier goes down, it’s going to take a lot to keep in contact with Glyn and everyone else.”

            “This is a mission where everything has to go off perfectly,” Tisha says. “Heard that, Captain?”

The pirate captain screams. “Fine! Fine! Me and my men will work to get ourselves out of this mess. If you lot screw up saving your lord, that’s on you!”

            “Pepper, tell Glyn our side of the plan.”

Pepper nods.

 

            “Coordination is the key to this,” Glyn says as everyone stands. “The moment I touch the spike and drain the miasma into my book, that’s when we begin.”

Miller and Sam stand, grabbing their weapons. “We’ll take care of the monsters.”

Isaac nods. “I can provide some support magic. Nothing too much but minor injuries and small physical improvements.”

Xia nods. “I’ll search around for the Core. Without the miasma, it should make itself known, right?”

            “Correct. And Mila, your job is to….”

            “Destroy it!” She yells excitedly.

            “This is a once-in-a-lifetime plan. If we mess up, there are no do-overs and we’re all screwed across the board.” Glyn stares at the spike. “Is everyone ready?”

            “Ready,” Sam says.

            “Ready as I’ll ever be,” Miller says.

Xia nods at Isaac. “We’re ready.”

Mila’s tails swing with flames surrounding them. “Ready.”

 

            “Ready.” Tisha pulls out an arrow as she moves to the deck of the ship.

Ivar stands next to her looking into the water as he directs her aim. “Right there. And I’m ready to dive when Rufus drops the barrier.”

Fina swings her ax. “I’m ready to fight!”

The Captain shakes his head and draws his sword. “We’re as ready as we’re going to be for this insanity.”

Pepper nods and turns to Rufus. “Rufus, drop the barrier when I say to.”

Rufus nods. “Okay.”

 

Glyn turns to the spike and holds out his hand. “I’m ready!” He slams his hand into the spike as a burst of miasma breaks free from the stone.

 

            “Let’s Start!” Glyn and Pepper yell in unison.

0