Day 1.4: After school
211 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s already after-school, and lessons for today have ended. It wasn’t really fatigue-inducing since the lessons are essentially just small chunks of reminders from our last material in middle school. I mean, it’s only the first day, you wouldn’t expect a grandiose class out of the gate, right? But yea, for what it’s worth, it’s only a starter, I would guess things are just going to get jam-packed a lot more from today onwards.

 

Emi: “So, what are you going to do now?”

Hirata: “What? I’m going back home” 

She asked me while packing my bag, and preparing myself to leave the classroom. It should be pretty obvious

 

Emi: “No-no, that’s not what I meant. What are you going to do from now on… I’m not trying to be inconsiderate but you’re still a loner, aren’t you?” 

Hirata: “...what are you talking about?”

Emi: “I came back from my break just to see you eat your bento all alone”

Hirata: “...I just like being alone”

Emi: “Really?”

 

She just stared at me flabbergasted. ‘What a pathetic brother’, I can already imagine she’d say this in her mind. Not like I can argue with that though. Trust me sis, this is just the will of the universe, nothing I can do about it. 

 

Emi: “Don’t just blame the universe when you don’t even try hard enough yet”

Hirata: “...could you please not read my mind for once”

Emi: “I can’t help it, you’re too see-through” 

Kurihara: “Oh is he though? His face is kinda stoic and hard to read” 

Madoka just waltzed in and participated in our little useless chat, and she’s not wrong. I have a pretty straight face, and I don’t exactly show my emotions all too much but for some reason, Emi could see through it all quite easily.  

 

Emi: “Nah, if you know him long enough, I’m sure you’ll pick up a few things from him”

Yano: “Eeehh~~ know long enough. I guess you two really weren’t just normal friends, huh” 

Kurihara: “Yeah, I know right? I feel like they’re somewhat... relatable or something. Sorry for being nosey about this, but are you two childhood friends?”

Emi: “... something like that”

Emi answered her with a bit of hesitation, I don’t know if I could give a better answer than that. 

Kurihara: “... welp, from the way you said it I’m sure there are some circumstances between you two behind all this. But I wouldn’t dig too deep, if you guys ever wanted to share your story, then feel free to tell us, okay?”

Emi: “... thanks”

Madoka sure is an understanding friend. She knew something was amiss, but wouldn’t push in too much for an explanation. It’s quite obvious she’s rather emotionally sensitive to her surrounding. 

 

Nojiro-san!

Just as Emi said her thanks, a girl called Nojiro from the main hall. I’m… not sure who she is exactly, but I’m certain she’s my classmate… probably. 

…look, I have a short memory term problem, I can’t remember everyone, okay?

 

Yano: “Oh she’s calling me, I’ll be back!” 

He said so while running to the classroom’s entrance. There, she talked with that girl with a kind expression. On the other hand, from the way she communicates and her body posture, I would assume that girl is trying to get close to him. Well, he’s popular from day one, I’m not surprised if anyone would have a crush on him early on. 

 

Emi nudges me with her leg and notion her head to look at Madoka’s face. 

I look at her and… she’s just staring at Nojiro from afar with this… longing face? I turned back at Emi and she made this all-knowing-smiling face, I know she would be like this when it comes to something she perceives as interesting. But it’s just cumbersome. 

‘I won’t make any unnecessary comments. I’m just going to stop assuming things. They are not my concern.’ I said this with my face and I hope she would understand. 

 

Yano: “I’m back. Anyway, I just got this submission form from the main hall. It’s about the representative voting” 

Kurihara: “Why did she give you that?”

Yano: “She said I’m an excellent choice to be the male representative”

Kurihara: “Really?”

Yano: “Yeah, and she said she would be happy to be my pair”

 

I think I just heard some cracking glass, not sure from where, it must be imaginary… yeah surely, and maybe it’s due to my weird hallucination but I feel like there are black auras oozing from Madoka’s back. She… is scary.  

 

Emi: “Hey uh.. Madoka-san, are you okay?”

Emi seems to feel something as well and she, quite directly, asks her right on her face. 

Kurihara: “Hm? Of course, why ask?”

Yano: “Oh don’t worry about it. Kurihara has always been like this from time to time, it’s just her personality”

I think it’s something more than just a personality quirk, Nojiro-san… is he really this dense. I make eye contact with Emi and just as I expected, she’s frustrated as well. 

 

Kurihara: “Well I can’t imagine you would be a good candidate to be the representative, but did you agree to be one… with her as your partner?”

Yano: “Oh no, I told her I’ll think about it first. I don’t wanna tie myself down for years just from a heartbeat decision, and besides, I don’t know that girl all too well…”  

I guess as dense as he might be, Yano still can make a good judgment. Madoka’s expression turned neutral as easily as she breath

 

Yano: “To be honest, if I could choose, I would rather pick Shiori-san as my partner”

Emi: “Eh, wha- me?!”

What?!

Kurihara: “What did you say?”

Yano: “I mean, it’s kinda related to your previous question, Shiori-san. Don’t you really want to consider being the class representative?”

Emi: “Bu- like, why me?”

Yano: “You look smart” 

That’s it?!

Emi’s startled, Madoka’s annoyed, and Yano’s delighted. What is going on?! Is this guy out of his mind??!

 

Emi: “M- me aside, why don’t you consider Madoka-san” 

Yano: “Her? I mean, you heard her already from before, right? She didn’t want to work with me, and besides, for once I want to do something without her.”

Emi: “...do you have some sort of animosity with her?”

Yano: “Oh no! Not at all, it’s just… ehm, like letting go of your little sister? Like that, I guess. I mean, I can’t hold her hand forever, can I?”  

I look back at Madoka’s face and I can only see her hurt by this. I don’t know if Nojiro really has no bad intentions here, but this is too far. Does he actually realize her feeling and actively and knowingly avoid her… or is this just… plainly him being dense. My gut says the latter. 

 

Like I said before, Madoka’s a good friend and she’s quite sensitive to her surroundings. But this simple fact… made her whole relationship with him sound even more hurtful, she was the only one with this one-sided feeling toward him, and she knew, romantically, he has no feelings for her.  

 

I turned to take a small peek at Emi, and she just smiled at me. We’re thinking about the same thing. Then we both look at Nojiri with this sort of defeated feeling, we feel kinda irritated at him but also feel bad for him. 

 

Yano: “...am I missing something?”

Emi: “...no, nothing” 

Noticing the stares, he just asked that outright at us all. If there’s anything in this world that you can’t defeat easily is a dense person. Really, how can someone be this dense? 

 

Yano: “Anyway, I have something to do now. So, I have to go now, bye everyone!”

Kurihara: “Oh well then, me too. I-”

Yano: “No need Kurihara, you can just go home first. I’ll catch you later”

Before Madoka could finish her sentences, Nojiro cut her short and left her behind. I don’t need to ask her, I can just assume things based on her dejected shoulder. 

 

Madoka just stared at his back while he walked away, two seconds, five seconds, ten seconds. She’s only staring at his traced footsteps, with this sad expression 

Hirata: “Madoka-san”

Kurihara: “Y-yes?” 

She turned and smiled at me, but with this surprised tone where it appears as if she just remembered who was she supposed to talk to. 

Hirata: “Can I ask something?”

Kurihara: “Sure”

Hirata: “I know this is somewhat out of the blue, but if you don’t mind telling me…” 

I peek at the class entrance for a second just to make sure Nojiro’s away. I know I shouldn’t be asking this to her, it might even sound rude, especially from someone who she just met today. But I’m curious, and I can’t stop imagining a few scenarios. 

 

Hirata: “Do you see Nojiri as a brother?”

This is a continuation of our previous baseless assumption, but if my instinct is correct and my eyes weren’t deceiving me then her answer should be…

Kurihara: “…no, no I don’t”

Just as I thought.

 

Hirata: “I see, my sympathy” 

Kurihara: “…heh. What are you even talking about now…” 

She just tried to play it dumb, but I have no time so I just pushed on. 

Hirata: “…we can help you”

Kurihara: “…no, thank you. I just have to try harder”

Hirata: “Just don’t beat yourself over it, it’s not your fault”

Kurihara: “...ok” 

I guess it’s pretty much obvious now. 

 

Emi whispers to me as Madoka-san’s mind is hovering up in the air.

Emi: “You said, they weren’t your concern? So why ask now?

Hirata: “...I guess I lied” 

It may just be me, but I feel like we’re all in the same boat, and I can’t ignore them. 

 

5