Hide And Seek – 26
108 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

I’m a bit too into this. But saying the technique name does have a certain thrill to it.

"Domain Expansion. Unlimited Void," I activated my domain expansion as soon as I spotted Toji entering through the hole. With everyone now inside the enemy’s domain, I didn't have to worry about accidentally catching others in my technique.

After casting it, I quickly dispelled it after just a second, hoping not to engulf the entire domain. My goal was to destroy the domains.

After that I put myself in a hiding spot, as I wanted to see how this would go down.

***

"The domain broke? How?!" Dagon couldn't believe his eyes.

Everyone witnessed the barrier crumbling, but there was no time for astonishment.

Dagon, the special grade cursed spirit, found himself unable to activate his curse techniques now that the Domain expansion had been torn apart. What's more, his immense curse energy was running dangerously low.

The same predicament could be applied to Megumi, although he wasn't here to fight.

‘No matter. What matters now is that the enemy’s advantage is gone, and we'll have a better shot—’ Nanami thought.

However, their optimism was short-lived as they all laid eyes on a new arrival: Toji. He effortlessly swiped the 'playful cloud' from Maki's grasp and sent her sprawling with a flick of his hand.

‘What just happened? Unbelievable, no. I lost? In a battle of strength!?’ Maki couldn't believe what had just occurred, even though she had witnessed it firsthand.

“Toji!?” Naobito was shockingly surprised.

“Old man, who is that?” She quickly asked, desperate for information.

Nanami recognized the man but did not believe that he was the cause of the domain collapse. 'There's another one,' he thought.

"...A ghost," Naobito muttered, noting something peculiar about Toji. He was undeniably Toji, but he seemed to have been resurrected, and he had an uncontrollable air about him.

Toji charged towards the special grade curse spirit Dagon, engaging in close combat with him.

After that, the scene unfolded almost exactly as I had seen in the manga before, with Dagon meeting his end even more faster this time. Stripped of his powers, he was left with only the reverse cursed technique, where he can only regenerate, and he died with hardly a chance to fight back.

Everyone present watched with worry, uncertain about what would happen next. Was this newcomer an enemy or an ally?

Their doubts were answered when Toji decisively singled out Megumi for a one-on-one confrontation.

"Enemy it is," Nanami muttered.

With Dagon's quick demise, the group wasted no time and immediately set out to find Megumi, who had vanished along with Toji through the shattered windows.

Jogo, who had arrived at the scene just moments later, observed the humans running off and then turned back his attention to Dagon's lifeless corpse. He crouched beside his lifeless friend's body and set it ablaze before muttering a few words in reverence, “Dagon. So, you have passed. Leave the rest to me.”

He rose to his feet and fixed his gaze on the humans running after something. Then, in an instant, he vanished from his spot, chasing after the human group.

"This is... better than before, I guess?" I whispered to myself as I rose from my seat. That's right, I was watching this while sitting down and eating. This is an entirely different experience than reading it in the manga, and I deserve to enjoy it. I was also wearing the Ring of Invisibility and had Ranmaru Doujutsu on to completely conceal my presence.

A/N: You can find a similar example to the "Gate of Babylon" from Fate/Strange Fake where Tine was wearing the Ring of Invisibility.

I disappeared from my spot immediately as I was the last to leave.

***

The group followed a few traces that led to the spot where Megumi had been dragged.

Just as the old man was about to use his technique to speed up. The group immediately felt a ridiculous strong presence behind them speeding them up at an alarming rate. Within seconds the group had to stop and pause and confront the new cursed spirit.

“Megumi! Damn it!” Maki spotted Megumi who could only desperately run and dodge from that ghost afar. She had no choice but to stop and face this overpowering cursed spirit head-on.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" Maki gritted her teeth, preparing for yet another battle. She quickly realized that this spirit is dangerous and even faster than her.

‘Come on. Another one, already? I’m too old for this shit.’ Naobito seriously contemplated making a run for it, but this spirit was even faster than him.

‘Compared to that curse Dagon… This one is on another level.’ Nanami considered preparing for the worst-case scenario, possibly facing death.

Unlike what had happened in the manga, they were more aware and had a little more time to react and prepare. Nevertheless, it made absolutely no difference, as this cursed spirit was simply too much for them.

To the group, the cursed spirit's speed felt almost like teleportation. He showed up in front of Nanami in an instant, his hand outstretched, ready to make contact. In the blink of an eye, cursed flames erupted from his hand, engulfing Nanami.

However, that was when I made my move.

Just as the flames began to emerge, I discreetly summoned a small shield in front of Nanami, ensuring that the golden light necessary for the portal's activation remained concealed. I knew that the larger the object, the greater the chance it would be noticed, given the need for the golden portal to illuminate and transport the item out. The last thing I wanted was for this thickheaded cursed spirit to notice an interference. 

A miniature shield materialized, pushing Nanami down just as he started to suffer burns. The burns, while painful, were bearable, scorching his right side of the lower face and chest. The shield absorbed the brunt of the attack and tumbled backward with Nanami. In that moment, Nanami grasped the implication of this intervention. It meant that a fourth party was lending them help, though this person is half assing it for some reason.

Nanami's mind raced back to their battle with Dagon when they had encountered domain expansion and it being dismantled. It all began to connect. Understanding the newcomer's intentions, he pretended to have been struck, falling as if he had taken the hit alongside the shield, even as he continued to burn slowly. These injuries were acceptable, and he placed his faith in the mysterious person in hopes he or she would aid his comrade.

Jogo ran to his next target unaware that Nanami is still alive with bearable injuries.

"NANAMI!" Maki screamed in horror. She watched as the cursed spirit accelerated toward her. She could see it coming, but she couldn't react quickly enough, desperately trying to dodge the oncoming threat. 

But Jogo arrived behind her back and blasted her with his flames. As the flames erupted, so did my object, this time a small cloak specially designed to withstand intense heat and flames. Because I completely forgot I had one. I also couldn't risk using an object that could absorb flames; it might give away the fact that the attack wasn't having its intended effect or that something was amiss. Instead, I summoned the cloak. It automatically adjusted to my intentions, wrapping itself tightly around her, serving as a shield against the flames. It absorbed the intense heat and gradually dissipated it. But the flames remained.

Jogo didn’t notice this as he was looking at the final human. Even if he was looking at Maki. It would appear she was burning now.

With the fire obscuring his vision, Nanami tried his best to see the situation. He swiftly stole a glance in Maki's direction, hoping that the mysterious person had the ability to assist. Just in time, he caught a glimpse of a golden light enveloping Maki's head as Jogo hurled his flames without even looking.

Nanami noticed. But he didn't get it. If this person has this many skills, why is he not deliberately helping or appearing to help? No, he couldn't question this person. This person technically saved them all twice.

Maki, unaware of what just happened, didn't feel any burning sensation but she did feel the heat coming to her stomach. As much as she hates to admit, she knew she got saved. Is it because this weird cloth wrapped around her. She also noticed that the cursed spirit wasn't launching any further attacks to ensure her death. With a sense of urgency, Maki chose to play dead and remained silent. She allowed herself to fall to the floor, hoping that feigning lifelessness would be her safest course of action.

Jogo menacingly stared at Naobito and immediately charged towards him. However, he somehow missed him. The cursed spirit's eye widened as he watched Naobito disappear right in front of him, only to reappear behind him.

‘Damn, you should have tanked his flame from his hand, old man.’ I clicked my tongue; I can’t help him without revealing my tricks now.

‘Faster than me? No, that’s not it.’ Jogo quickly thought. As he turned to look at the old man. He barely saw it; he came running towards him and then jumping right above him to reach behind his back.

‘This human…got some tricks… But it's not enough.’ Jogo thought as he had placed two volcanoes spawning underneath the old man. The volcanoes on the floor had aimed at him from the front and at the back.

‘Does he have to die? I'm not really into reviving old geezers who are already one step close to death. Screw it, left for dead,’ I thought internally.

Jogo had his sights locked onto Naobito, and this time, there was nothing I could do to intervene. After all, he had flaunted his abilities, making himself an absolute target for the cursed spirit.

The fiery eruption from the volcano on the ground consumed Naobito, striking a devastating blow. To make matters worse, Jogo extended his hand, with the sole purpose of engulfing him in flames through a direct attack, and it passed right through Naobito. Unlike the other two, Jogo was completely fixated on this old man, his clear intention on reducing Naobito to nothing but ashes.

Nanami saw this and clicked his tongue in frustration. He also understood my objective, realized that I wasn't unable to help but had deliberately chosen not to. Any assistance from me would only make my presence known right now. He had also picked up on the fact that I have no intention in fighting this cursed spirit and lending a hand any further than this.

A moment later, I sensed it. Sukuna's finger had been unleashed, and it wasn't just me. Anyone with curse detection abilities could feel the release of Sukuna or one of Sukuna's fingers somewhere in the Shibuya area.

That noticeable evil aura was resonating somewhere around underneath this station.

‘Hmmm. So, that's what it feels like when people reveal their power? And this is what the mongrel's evil feels like,’ I nodded with a newfound understanding, my attention shifting away from the unfolding scene. But there was no time to dwell on it, I should help Megumi for now.

As soon as I noticed Jogo's disappearance, I also vanished from my spot. The item that had been engulfed in flames on Nanami and Maki vanished along with the fire, leaving no trace behind.

Nanami struggled to his feet, his movements unsteady, and he made his way over to the old man, Naobito, clicking his tongue in frustration once more. The disappearance of the item served as evidence that the mysterious helper and the special grade cursed spirit had left them alone.

Maki also rose to her feet, dissatisfied with her rescue. This situation was infuriating her, especially since she got saved by an unknown person. After seeing how that Nanami was alright, she went over to check on Naobito.

A/N: She is a strong independent woman who needs no man, And also a thicc dommy mommy at that. 💀

"Any idea who that person was who helped us?" Maki asked as she cast a gloomy glance at the lifeless old man, the clan head of the Zenin Clan.

“I don’t know.” Nanami looked around and thought about the situation.

Compared to Maki who looked almost fine. Nanami needed serious medical help before his situation got worse. The carbon dioxide from the cursed spirit’s flames he had been breathing in, along with the burns he was enduring, even though the shield had tanked the majority of it for him, meant he was slowly slipping into a critical state. However, he considered this damage to be tolerable, and he believed he could still function. But his top priority was to locate Yuji immediately.

The situation looked dire with Sukuna's finger now released, signaling that something had gone terribly wrong. Nanami debated whether to continue on his own or seek Ieiri's aid. Ultimately, he chose to push forward, heading deeper into the station to find Yuji Itadori. Only once they regrouped could he consider seeking medical assistance. He has absolute faith in Shouko Ieri to heal him.

"You. You aren't conditioned to fight anymore!" Maki yelled at Nanami who was heading towards the station where they came from. 

"I can still fight," Nanami said calmly as he continued on his way, determined to keep going despite his injuries.

"Either find Megumi and help him, find Ieri for recovery, or try to get to Principal Yaga and brief him on the situation," Nanami instructed Maki.

She clenched her teeth in frustration but then turned and walked away. She wasn't in a great condition either. Injuries were slowly sapping her stamina. At least, she was still alive and fully intact.

Nanami sighed heavily but pushed onward down the train station, fully aware that he might be walking toward his own death. Yet, he held onto the certainty that he would indeed find Yuji there.

"Being a jujutsu sorcerer is shit!" Nanami yelled out loud, though no one was around to hear this.

***

‘Damn it, can I do this? No, I have to! I barely have any curse energy left, and I still need to save Shikigami for the fights to come. Damn. Any risk I have to use will have to come at the expense of my own body.’ Megumi's thoughts raced, his mind processing the situation rapidly. He was running away from the ghost.

‘No, it's fine, I think I can do it. I just need to limit my injuries to something Ieiri-sensei can handle. That way, I can keep fighting. I just need this guy to step into my shadow, so I can counterattack, I only got one shot at this.’ He thought as he was grabbed by his shikigami toad, pulling him away from Toji's ghostly attack.

'In a narrow alley with only frontal confrontation. That's where I have my chance,' He resolved, preparing for the imminent close encounter. He had lured Toji to this place.

For a brief moment, they locked eyes, a tense silence filling the space between them. Toji's eyes remained as black as ever staring at the boy.

‘If I mess up the timing I will die, If I mess up the timing I will die, If I mess up the timing I will die, If I mess up the timing I will die,’ Megumi repeated those words in his head, overwhelmed by fear and nervousness.

"I will di—" Megumi saw Toji’s figure appear in front of him.

This was when Toji's foot got caught in the void of space within Megumi's shadow, causing his intended target to shift elsewhere, narrowly stabbing Megumi's heart.

Megumi immediately took action as he locked his arm with Toji’s so he could lock the ghost in place. With his other hand, he drew a sword and attempted to stab Toji with it. However, contrary to his expectations, just as he swung his blade towards Toji's side, in the blink of an eye, Toji had already back jumped a considerable distance, evading the attack.

‘HOW THE HELL!!! DID YOU EVEN DODGE YOU THAT!?! I DIDN’T EVEN FEEL YOU MOVE!!!’ Megumi's thoughts raced with shock and frustration.

“Now what?” Megumi questioned; his tone tinged with a hint of resignation. He was ready to give up, perhaps even thinking about using Mahogara. However, he knew he couldn't resort to that just yet. Maybe, just maybe, something else will happen.

For the second time, Toji's blackened eye began to lighten, and he appeared to regain consciousness. As he gazed at the kid before him, memories from his past began to resurface.

“Hey brat, What’s your name?” Toji asked.

Megumi nervously noticed the change in Toji's aura but couldn't quite comprehend it.

"…Fushiguro." He responded cautiously.

“Universal Pull (Banshō Ten'in).”  I muttered as I activated my RinneganSharingan. I had been waiting for the right moment since I arrived, carefully observing the situation.  I was fully aware of what was happening here. As I couldn't allow Toji to die just yet; he still had some use for me.

"Not Zenin, huh?" Toji muttered, his hand moving and preparing to stab himself in the head with the weapon. But then, a sudden and astonishing change unfolded. Toji was abruptly lifted into the air, leaving both of them bewildered.

The pull lasted for just about five seconds, but I had complete control over the speed. In an instant, I had him pulled towards me, creating more distance between him and Megumi. Megumi didn't even have the capacity to chase after us. A bonus was that he didn't see me. I quickly began moving away from the site, still dragging Toji along with me.

"Oh, it's you," Toji remarked, eyeing me closely. "You've certainly acquired some strange new abilities."

"I hope your little reunion went well," I boldly stated, all the while continuing to drag him along. "I've got a job for you."

As Toji was pulled along by me, he suddenly realized he wasn't carrying a weapon. He hadn't noticed that it had been dropped behind. Nevertheless, this was fine.

"Hah?! And what makes you think I'm going to work for you?" Toji angrily smirked, seemingly ready for a rematch to the death.

"Didn't you know? I pay really well. You might even think I'm overpaying," I said with a genuine smile, knowing my way around. As we made our way to a more private location.

"Hoh? I'm listening," Toji said, his anger dissipating as he abandoned his battle-ready stance in the air, clearly intrigued by what I had to say.

***

‘What was all that about?’ Megumi wondered as he caught his breath, preparing to head out.

'Don't think too much. He might come after me. Gotta run. No, I have to head to Ieiri-sensei first. No, that's not right either. I need to make sure Maki and the others are okay…' Megumi's thoughts raced as he considered his next move, covering his injured side and struggling to walk.

However, before he could react, he was suddenly slashed from behind by an unknown assailant.

‘Geh, a new enemy?! Give me a fucking break!!!’ Megumi thought in frustration as blood began to flow from his back. As he slowly fell.

“There we go! This is what I’m talking about!” Haruta Shigemo, the piece of shit exclaimed.

“I am so much better suited for this kinda stuff!” he added, sounding gleeful despite his own injuries.

***

 

5