Chapter 1: Awakening
1.1k 0 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I fade into existence. A few moments of confusion pass before I begin to understand what I am, or what is even happening at the moment. I am a succubus. I am level 0. I have just spawned in the middle of a forest, and from afar I believe I can hear water. When a creature spawns, they start with 3 main differentiating traits based on their class. These traits being intelligence, behavioral pattern, and special abilities. Intelligence is based on RNG, it is very simply a number 1-100. 100 being genius, and 1 being forgetting how to breathe. I was fortunate enough to roll a 92, allowing me to be far more sentient and aware of my surroundings than most others. 

 

Second is behavioral pattern. Let's give an example: a wolf spawns. Is this wolf aggressive? Friendly? Maybe it’s a vegetarian worg and is concerned with the health of the environment? Who knows. A personality is picked out for all beings who spawned, and staying with the wolf example it is far more common for the wolf to be aggressive than vegetarian, with being generally friendly and tamable being more common than vegetarian but less common than aggressive. What you would expect from a random sample of any given being. And these behaviors typically align with their race. My behavior pattern is an insatiable urge for dominance. Immediately after gaining consciousness and settling into my new existence, my lust for conquest became apparent. I began searching my surroundings for a target. A traveler in the woods to drain the life of, a village to bring groveling to my feet, something or someone to bring to heel. 

 

My special ability made me realize very fast that I was not a typical succubus. Far from it. If my understanding of my power was correct, then that meant that I was next in line to become the queen of the demons. Lord of all unholy. My power was Level Drain. A lesser succubus would instead have Life Drain as a default race ability. Powerful, sure, but nothing in comparison to what I possessed. Life Drain would steal HP from a target while revitalizing yours, and even give a good chunk of XP as well, but Level Drain was different. I could steal 10 levels off of a level 10 warrior in as quick as an hour. And even after being reduced to a level 1 again, I could then vanquish them off the earth by draining their base stats in addition. My ability to level quickly has only been heard of in legend. Tales of beings such as me originate from tens of millennia ago. Folklore and hogwash, many call it. How come I’m so lucky? No particular reason. For each ability there is assigned a value from one to a billion. Some abilities are assigned millions of numbers, and some abilities are assigned a few. In my case, I was lucky enough to draw the number 1. The only number that I could have possibly pulled to give me the ability Level Drain. 

 

I have the potential to topple empires. Destroy worlds. Build a demon empire that would last until the end of time itself. But as I stand in the middle of a forest, with wind lightly blowing the leaves just enough to make their rustle audible but not violent enough to be uncomfortable, I was vulnerable. Weak. My abilities were limited and my stats were embarrassing. I could die to the vegetarian wolf in this state. I needed to find somewhere safe to level. I head to the water I heard to see where it leads. A river looks downstream to a small village that sits beside it. Jackpot. As it stands I look as any other human would. I have no horns, no tail, no wings. Just the item level 1 cloth garments that hang around my modest body. I check my inventory.

 

Inventory:

  • Cultist Dagger
  • Canteen (full)
  • 5 Pillimarian apples
  • Map

 

Every item in my inventory is default besides the dagger. The dagger is a scramasax with a bright red gem placed in the middle of the hilt. If my plan is to enter town without arousing suspicion it would be best if this dagger goes unseen throughout my stay. I begin venturing down the river, hoping that by the time I leave the village, none will remain.

22