Season 2 [Chapter 117: The Performances]
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the stage, there is a higher part filled with several men and women wearing kimono and yukata, carrying various musical instruments. A male music conductor wearing a kimono covered with a plain cardigan stood in front of the higher stage surface and began to lead the orchestra members. Music plays, indicating that the performance has started.

Not long after, a man wearing a kimono with a kind of monster face mask entered the stage from the left side. The monster-masked man walked forward, looked around him warily, and then sat cross-legged on the floor. From the right side of the stage, people wearing the hakama and yukata began to enter the stage from the right side. Some carry hoes and sickles and use them as if they were farming, chatting, etc., which happens somewhere.

Not long after, a group of men wearing ancient Japanese warrior armor walked onto the stage from the right. These army then attacked the villagers and took over their place. The villagers looked frightened, then ran towards the left part of the stage and ran into a man wearing a monster mask. The villagers begged and prayed to the man in the monster mask, who then nodded. The villagers walked behind the man wearing the monster mask and demonstrated their activities as if they were farming, chatting, etc, as before.

The army started to move again and walked towards the villagers, but a man wearing a monster mask blocked them. The next scene shows the battle between a man wearing a monster mask who uses his bare hands against an army who uses katanas as weapons. The villagers who realized the fighting then stopped their activities and looked worried. The man in the monster mask won this battle, and the army turned and walked away. The villagers walked up to the man in the monster mask, thanked him, and looked happy. This theatrical performance then ends. The audience watching applauded loudly, as did Suga. The people who performed and the musicians stood on the stage, bowed in thanks, and waved to the audience. The performers then left the stage. There was a 30-minute break before the next show started; the audience began to leave one by one, and so did Suga. Nellson got down from Suga’s arms and walked on the ground.

Suga walked back towards the metal board sign and saw that the next performance that caught his attention was the “For the Protector” dance performance, starting a few hours after various musical performances, comedy, cultural dance, etc. Nellson walked towards Suga, stood beside him, and looked up at this metal board.

“Is there anything else that interests you, Suga?”

Suga’s expression turned serious, and then he nodded.

“Yes, the cultural stage that entitled for the protector.”

Nellson nodded.

“There’s still some time before that performance starts.”

Suga looked around with a curious expression.

“Let’s spend time at this festival.”

Suga walked away, and Nellson flew after him.

Sometime later, Suga bought takoyaki at one of the stalls. Suga walked between other stalls, and his attention was then focused on the game of throwing a ball toward a pile of upside-down plastic cups. Suga’s throw was strong and successful, making the stacked glasses fall. Suga then got one of the available prizes. Sometime later, the stage show entitled “For the Protector” dance performance will begin. People started walking closer to the stage, and so did Suga. Suga stood near a tree this time, and Nellson perched on a tree branch above to watch. People wearing kimono or yukata began to enter the stage from the left, with one person whose wrists were tied with four long pieces of red cloth. From the right, four men wearing Shinto priests’ attire carrying monk’s staffs (shakujo) walk onto the stage from the right. The orchestra members are also ready to be in their original places. The four red cloths were then tied to four monk’s staffs belonging to the four Shinto priests.

Accompanied by music that started to play and dance movements by people wearing kimono and yukata, women tied with red cloths on her right and left wrists began to perform dance movements. Shinto priests occasionally stomped their monk’s staff on the stage floor to accompany the dance movements. After some time dancing, everyone on the stage then sat in the seiza position; the woman tied with red cloths stood alone then bowed in thanks towards the audience, which was then followed by the other performers who sat in the seiza position, who also bowed in thanks towards the audiences. The orchestra members stopped playing their instruments, indicating that the performance was over, and then bowed in thanks to the audience. The audience gave loud applause and cheers to the performers, who then smiled and waved their hands to the audience. The performers started to leave the stage, as did the audience.

Suga remained in his place under the tree, amazed by what he had just watched. Nellson flew down from the tree, then landed near Suga.

“What a nice and interesting performance.”

Suga crossed his arms while resting his chin with his left hand.

“I’m curious, who created that dance and theatrical performance.”

Hearing that made Nellson also curious.

The time is 7:00 pm. Suga sat at one of the ramen stalls outside the shrine area, with Nellson perched on this stall roof, looking around curiously. Not long after, Suga finished eating and walked away from the stall. Nellson watched Suga for a moment, then flew after him. Suga was back in the shrine area where many rows of stalls before. Suga walked to the metal board to see today's performance list, Nellson walked on the ground following Suga and stood near him. Suga crossed his arms.

“The last event today is the fireworks show.”

Suga turned to Nellson with an excited expression.

“We have to see this one, Nellson.”

Nellson nodded.

“Of course, I want to see it too. By the way, how is our investigation going?”

Suga looked around him and found several police patrolling the festival area.

“The situation should be safe because this is a busy place, and there are several police patrolling around the festival area, too. But we still can’t let our guard down.”

Nellson nodded. Suga walked between the previous stalls and ran into Ishikari, who was walking alone. Ishikari looked at Suga with a slightly surprised expression.

“Hisoka-san? Are you also waiting for the fireworks show tonight?”

Nellson stopped in his tracks and looked at the two of them curiously. Suga smiled and nodded.

“Right, I guess you also wait for it too?”

Ishikari nodded. Suga looked around curiously.

“Are you alone?”

Ishikari nodded.

“Yes, my friends are with their families now, preparing to see the fireworks show.”

Suga appeared to realize something.

“The fireworks show will start soon, how about you come with me and Nellson to see it together?”

Isihikari smiled and nodded.

“Good idea.”

Suga smiled. They then walked together towards the front of the shrine. Nellson then walked after them.

The time is 8:00 pm. The fireworks show will start at any time; several people are still busy helping each other carry crates containing fireworks toward the back of the shrine building through the stone path next to the shrine. Suga and Ishikari sat next to each other on one of the benches in front of the shrine building. Nellson stood on the ground near them while looking up at the night sky curiously. Suga appeared to remember something, and he then turned to Ishikari.

“So, this festival is always held every year?”

Ishikari turned to Suga and nodded.

“Right. Did anything catch your eye?”

Suga nodded.

“There are many things about this town that interest me. If it weren’t because of the missing person cases that happened in this town, things would have been even more interesting.”

Ishikari smiled.

“Everyone in this town could feel the same way. I think many people in this town would want to leave, even without missing persons cases like this.”

Ishikari looked a little lost in thought. Suga’s expression turned curious.

“Do you plan to leave this town?”

Ishikari was a little surprised at this question and looked a little awkward.

“Yes, I plan to study at the university in the city. Learned many things from new places like city atmospheres and other things.”

Suga was a little surprised.

“Good plans, Ishikari. I might also want to study there.”

Ishikari smiled. Nellson watched them curiously.

Not long after, a firework exploded in the sky to signal everyone that the fireworks show was about to start. People around the shrine and throughout the town stopped their activities and looked towards the sky. Suga and Ishikari stood up from their seats and looked toward the sky, as did Nellson. Not long after, fireworks shot up one by one and exploded in the sky, decorating the night sky beautifully. Everyone was cheering happily, and some recorded this moment using their smartphones. Ishikari looks happy while looking at Suga.

“How was the fireworks show, Suga?”

Suga turned to Ishikari and answered while adjusting his tone to the lively surroundings.

“The fireworks are so beautiful; they exceeded my expectations, hahaha.”

Suga laughed casually. Ishikari smiled as she looked back up at the sky. Ishikari realized something; her attention then turned elsewhere.

0