Season 2 [Chapter 121: Ritual Preparation]
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suga smiled; he then opened this notebook and read it with Nellson.

 

“Gasokami Sacrifice Ritual.

This ritual is performed as a form of gratitude to Gasokami, the Guardian gods, for protecting Kagohara village. This refers to various records from the first generation of Kagohara villagers, as the only generation who ever met Gasokami directly. They kept the Guardian gods’ painting in a shrine specially built for him. One family is appointed to be the caretaker of the shrine. This is related to the first condition: the ritual leader must be a family member of the shrine administrator. The ritual leader then appoints ten shinto priests who will bind the sacrificed person while reciting the mantras.

The opening ceremony for this ritual is held in front of the Gasokami shrine. The person being sacrificed will offer prayers to Gasokami and be accompanied by ten Shinto priests while reciting mantras. The villagers watch this event take place as an accompaniment. Afterward, the sacrificed person walks to the sacrificial altar accompanied by shinto priests and ritual leaders while reciting mantras, and the villagers accompany them. The long cloths tied to the victim’s wrists were then connected to ten wooden pillars around the altar; other ritual attendants then left the sacrificial altar. The next day, when the sun rose, the villagers checked the location of the sacrificial altar, and the ritual was declared successful if the victim was no longer on the altar. If, for some reason, the ritual is not successful, it must be repeated.

Carrying out this ritual is a form of gratitude to the Guardian gods and brings good luck to the village throughout the year and avoids disaster.

The categories of person sacrificed was man or woman over 15 years old.

The ritual can be performed on any day of the year, at least once a year.”

 

Suga opened the following pages of this book, which shows the mantras recited by Shinto priests. The following pages were just blank pages; Suga then closed the book.

“Alright, pretty easy to understand.”

Nellson’s expression turned doubtful.

“Are you sure you want to do this ritual, Suga?”

Suga was slightly surprised; his expression then turned serious.

“Of course, as long as we both help each other, I’m sure we’ll be able to find a way to overcome Gasokami.”

Nellson nodded and looked at Suga curiously.

Suga stood up from his seat, walked towards this room's sliding shoji double door, and opened it. The night view of the Japanese classic garden looks breathtaking, decorated with traditional Japanese stone lanterns that light up in various corners of the garden, with the mountains visible only as faint silhouettes in the distance because of the night’s darkness. Suga sat on the edge of this open corridor with a surface higher than the ground and supported his back with both hands, which he pointed behind him. Suga looked up at the star-studded beautiful night sky with a smile and was a little lost in thought. Nellson walked over to Suga, stood beside him, and watched him curiously.

“What did you see, Suga?”

Suga came to his senses.

“I just wanted to look at the night sky for a while; this might be the last time I do this.”

Nellson was surprised while spreading his three right wings.

“Hey, we haven’t even reached Kagohara village yet.”

Suga smiled broadly and laughed a little, then looked at Nellson.

“When I think about it, thanks to you, I can still see the beautiful night sky like this. Thank you, Nellson.”

Hearing that made Nellson awkward.

“Why are you suddenly thanking me... is something bothering you?”

Suga appeared to realize something.

“Actually, it’s not something that bothers me. It’s just that some of the news I’ve been watching lately has made me think, how much life is out there other than on earth that we don’t know exists, and what’s going on out there.”

Nellson looked at Suga confusedly.

“That’s a hard question to answer.”

Suga smiled and chuckled.

“Of course, we can only view the sky in a limited way like this, but it’s enough for me.”

Nellson nodded. Not long after, Nellson appeared to remember something.

“Regarding your eyesight, have there been any problems lately?”

Suga was a little surprised to hear that.

“Actually, yes. Several times, my sight suddenly went dark, but only for a moment. That is normal because I got this sight using the Yokai controller technique that connected to you, right Nellson?”

Nellson looked at Suga curiously.

“Has it gotten worse since you came to this town?”

Suga nodded, and his expression turned curious.

“Yes, why did you ask?”

Nellson looked at the night sky.

“No, it’s nothing.”

Suga looked at Nellson with an astonished expression. Nellson thought.

“Somehow, I have a bad feeling….”

Nellson looked at Suga curiously; they then stared at each other for a while. Nellson thought.

“But I guess I just need to trust Suga.”

Suga and Nellson then enjoyed the night sky view together.

The next day, the time was 6:00 am. Suga wears a black shirt tucked in with the top button unbuttoned, black trousers, a belt, black boots, a white Yokai Controller Association Overcoat with a black stripe pattern, black armor on his back, and a black katana in his left hand. Suga walked through the corridor of the inn, Nellson flew after him while occasionally landing on the floor.

Suga walked past each other with Mrs. Unjyo, wearing a kimono, who had just arrived at this inn and was about to head to her office. Nellson landed near them and watched them curiously. Mrs. Unyo looked a little surprised when he met Suga.

"Hisoka san wants to go?"

Suga’s expression turned serious.

“What a coincidence; I was just about to go to Unjyo san’s office; there was something important I wanted to discuss.”

Mrs. Unjyo appeared to realize something; her expression turned disturbed.

“Is this about the recent missing person case?”

Suga nodded.

“I want to ask Unjyo san for help carrying out the Gasokami Sacrifice Ritual, and I will become the victim.”

Mrs. Unjyo was shocked to hear that; her expression then turned astonished.

“Did I hear correctly? Sacrificing yourself for Gasokami?”

Suga nodded.

“Exactly like what Unjyo san heard.”

Mrs. Unjyo was surprised.

“I did say that my generation wants to stop the Gasokami sacrifice ritual culture, but that doesn’t mean the ritual isn’t something dangerous. You could be the next victim to gone missing.”

Suga smiled.

“I have also considered that possibility, but I want Unjyo san and the others to believe me; with this, we might be able to save Ishikari and stop other victims.”

Mrs. Unjyo looked hesitant; she then nodded.

“I understand; I will try to contact several previous residents of Kagohara village who were involved in the Gasokami sacrifice ritual.”

Suga appeared to realize something.

“Is one of them the uncle who owns the bicycle rental shop in front of this inn?”

Mrs. Unjyo was surprised.

“Right, how did you know?”

Suga nodded.

“I once asked for some information regarding that matter to him. I will meet that uncle directly, Unjyo san; please contact the others.”

Mrs. Unjyo nodded. Suga then excused himself and bowed politely to Mrs. Unjyo, who then did the same. Suga walked away, and Nellson then flew after him.

Suga walked out of the inn, Nellson flew after him, then landed near him. Suga’s attention was drawn to the bicycle rental shop before the inn, which turned out to be open. Several other visitors also walked out of the inn, headed to the bicycle rental shop to rent a bicycle. The man who owned the bicycle rental shop served several of his customers.

Suga walked towards the bicycle rental shop. After these customers had finished, Suga walked over to the man who owned the bicycle rental shop. Upon seeing Suga’s arrival, this man stopped his activities, and his attention turned to Suga. Suga stopped his steps near the old man, Nellson then landed near him.

“Good morning, uncle.”

The old man nodded.

“Yes, good morning.”

This man’s attention was then focused on Suga’s appearance.

“By the way, I think I’ve seen someone whose appearance is similar to you, Hisoka san.”

Suga smiled.

“Someone who is uncle means must be someone named Hideyuki Totei.”

The old man appeared to remember something.

“That’s right, that man. One of the investigators who once came to Kagohara village. How do you know his name?”

Suga was slightly surprised, as he thought.

“I shouldn’t carelessly share information regarding the association....”

Suga smiled.

“That’s not the first time I’ve heard that; Unjyo san also told me that. Our appearances happen to be similar.”

The old man crossed his arms and nodded; his expression turned curious.

“Do you need something, Hisoka?”

Suga’s expression turned serious.

“Did uncle already heard the news that a girl named Ishikari is one of the recent missing victims?”

The old man was surprised; he then appeared to realize something.

“Yes, of course I know. Is Hisoka san also handling this case now?”

Suga nodded.

“Yes, therefore, I want uncle to help me carry out the Gasokami Sacrifice Ritual.”

0