Chapter 8: Darkest Of Times III
3k 7 74
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Make sure to check my Patre.on out if you want to support me and want to read advanced chapters: Patre.on.com/VQuintessence
[35 Chapters in Advance on Patre.on]

.................

Chapter 8: Darkest Of Times III

.................

His oxygen tank was running low, so he didn't hesitate much in picking up the devil fruit and a relatively sharp rock to the side before swimming out of the cavern, finding himself faced with nothing.

There was only an eerie silence but no creature in sight. In fact, Yovan remembered seeing not a single fish while swimming down, but there were a few in the cavern.

They were all hiding in fear. Every sea creature around must've dug themselves a hole to hide in from the monstrosity that attacked him.

'That's fortunate. The place must be rich with monstrosities in normal times, but even they must be scared of the Sea king.'

Despite his contemplation, Yovan still paid attention to the surface, seeing if his eyes can pick up any signs of the monster.

Yovan has never been more grateful to his system than now because he noticed something quite interesting about it. 

Limitless is a seeker of equality because when his physique stat increase, it not only improves his strength but also everything about his physique, his hearing, his sense of smell, and his eyesight.

He theorized that its effect increases even some hidden qualities of his physique he had yet to notice.

He also assumed that the reason why his increase in strength isn't as noticeable as it should be was because every stat improvement is distributed throughout his entire physique.

That possibly leads to each increase having less effect, but that is becoming less and less true as his stats go higher because of how limitless works.

His superhuman eyesight allowed him to have a much clearer vision than most normal humans, and the light from the surface certainly helped.

'Only about fifteen minutes passed, yet it has already left? Or is it watching from somewhere far, like a hunter waiting for the meat to get stuck on the net?'

Yovan was a bit paranoid, but he couldn't be blamed because the circumstances forced him to be as such.

He was however feeling extraordinarily calmer and collected as if something has changed, but he didn't muse that thought for long because he was about to run out of air.

He was forced to swim to the surface despite the danger. However, he did his best to swim as far away from the ship wreckage as possible.  

He eyed the surroundings for a while, taking deep breaths to fill his oxygen tank just in case he has to go down again.

'What a monstrosity.' Yovan thought, eyeing the ship wreckage which has been crunched to very small parts. To the monster, it must've felt like how humans feel when they chew newly made bread.

He bit his lips as he started swimming slowly to the closest shipwreck to him, one large enough to hold him. He climbed up the raft, stabilizing himself on it with great difficulty.

But he didn't let out a sigh of relief just yet as he took a comfortable seat, bringing the devil fruit close to his mouth.

'Should I? But as far as I know, devil fruits require a lot of physical strength to be used. I don't know how far I am from land, so If I have to fly for hours or even days, then I'm dead.'

He spoke as if he knew what kind of devil fruit he was holding, but if anyone paid just a little attention to how it looked, they would be able to make an accurate assumption.

The fruit was inky black, its outer layer was made entirely of what appeared to be black feathers. 

Yovan assumed it to be a Zoan type of devil fruit because of those feathers, and he very much preferred to set the possibility of it being a flightless bird aside because that'll bring only depression.

However, preferring to set a possibility aside and actually doing so are two entirely different things. Setting things aside are the ways of the weak-minded, the hopeless, and those who are too far gone.

Yovan placed the fruit on his lap, knowing the many risks taking it now holds, especially considering the fact that he'd lose the ability to move in water, and he was surrounded by water all-around at the moment.

He remained alert, his eyes scanning the surroundings constantly. The wreckage shouldn't attract the beast again, but Yovan had to be sure.

It was a while before he finally decided to move. He didn't take the risk of searching through the wreckage because most of it was in the monster's belly, and what remains isn't worth the risk.

He just picked up a plank within his reach, using it as a paddle to move alongside the wind. He did so very slowly at first so as to not alert any creature down there.

His expression didn't change as he simply focused on puddling away for hours without looking back. He didn't bother with looking for his friends. 

He was leaving for good in a metaphorical sense because his next words insinuate he'll go back.

Yovan finally looked back, looking at the horizon. He could see nothing but sea all around, but he especially focused on where he came from with unnatural calmness, "I'll be back. I'll find you and..."

He closed his eyes for a second, taking deep breaths to clear his mind. However, what he didn't notice at the time was a ripple spreading around him as he spoke those words.

The ripple was faint, barely noticeable, but it was certainly there, and it happened just as something akin to a notification appeared on Limitless.

[Willpower: 101/∞]

There was no explanation. It just appeared before him, seemingly reminding him. His eyes were still closed, but he could clearly see it, something he was used to by this point.

The simplest answer, in this case, was the right one, something Yovan has already deduced long ago. Limitless is bound to his soul.

His ears perked up to the sound of faint rain, "How much worse can it get huh? Hahahahhaha, a lot worse it seems."

Just when he started building up a bit of relief, another disaster came knocking on the door. 

At least the new increase in his willpower seemed to have helped him resist the pain of his armless side, or perhaps he's still in shock? 

Nah, Yovan can clearly feel the pain, and while the bleeding has stopped, it still hurts like hell. The last thing he wants was to be a crybaby in such a dire situation, leading himself to death.

He could only grit his teeth as he started taking off the shirt he had bandaged the damage with. However, Yovan could only let out a bitter smile as he felt the shirt sticking to the injury like glue.

"Ahh, for christ's sake!!! Is it because you aren't my friend like the Gods of Olympus?! Nah, it must be lady fortune! Fuck I forgot to make friends with her... AHHHhhhh... Ok calm down, it's just a small woun..."

Indeed, he has gone and done it. he allowed the shirt and specifically, the part around the injury to get wet with the rain for a bit as he spoke to himself, distracting himself from what was to come.

He then did it, without hesitation. He pulled the shirt out, letting out a scream in the process, "Fuck, what's my luck."

It was certainly not a small wound. His entire left arm was missing, and even part of his shoulders was also shredded by the monster. 

Looking at the wound closely, Yovan was surprised only his arm was missing. He was unfortunate and fortunate at the same time, but definitely more unfortunate.

"It looks bad, very bad. Yeah, it's been in contact with salt water for a very long time. It's really surprising I kept it together with how much that usually leads to burns and stings..."

Not just that, ocean water can also cause severe infections to wounds due to bacteria within it, especially for injuries as big as this.

"It's doing much better than expected though, so much better actually." He noted, feeling it'd be so much worse if not for all the improvement he made with Limitless.

In fact, he found it fortunate he wasn't unconscious at the moment. Then again, he has long become a superhuman of sorts, just nothing compared to a sea king yet.

The waves were starting to rage, and the wings were starting to howl, but Yovan made the best out of the situation as he opened his mouth wide at the sky, drinking as much rainwater as possible.

He continued with that for a long time until he felt not a speck of thirst in him. 

He then bit on his shirt as hard as he could and started cleaning his injuries, quickly bringing out a grimace of pain out of him, but he didn't stop.

'Fortune huh? Men have made an idol of Fortune as an excuse for their own lack of willpower, and so did I. 

No matter how many preparations I've made throughout my entire life, there were still times, many times where I survived by sheer luck alone.

That quote has never been more true than now because I finally have the tools to ignore things such as fortune and misfortune.

The only limits there are; are the ones I set for myself, so let me see if I can finally spread my wings and reach the moon...'

Those weren't just mere passing thoughts, nor were they just a distraction from the pain... No, he was lecturing himself, learning a lesson because the darkest of times can always pass; as long as you let it all burn.

74