Chapter 1: Curiosity killed the cat. . .
28 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wren had always enjoyed the quiet of the library's side room, it's blue walls covered by bookcases full of old books and comics, their stories unfinished as their run time was cut short by publishers.

Wren picked up one of the books, it's cover was blank except for a handwritten note stuck to the front 'The story of the Great 6'.

It turned out to be a photo album, the first picture consisted of 5 people, all of whom had their faces covered with a masquerade mask, although 3 carried weapons and were dressed like market brand HEROS, baggy clothes and plastic shin pads hiding their identitys even more. Below their picture it read in the same handwriting as the cover 'from left to right, Magpie, Cinder, Code H, Rumple, Alex, The People's Hero's of Old Main and the surrounding area.(134ME)' 

'People's Hero's' the old name for Vigilantes' before the HEROS laws were brought in at the start of the New Era. 

Wren turned the page, to reveal a young girl whom was glaring at the camara as she was led into a truck by a HEROS, her curly brown hair and tall stature matching that of one of the 2 weaponless People's Hero's from the page before, Code H. 'Caroline Worhdas, aressted on the charges of, Property damage, assault, resisting arrest, attacking HEROS, corrupting HEROS and the murder of Alvin Worhdas, (year 6 of the New Era)'

Worhdas was not a common name, only one family in the city being recorded as having it and Wren hadn't heard of any relatives getting arrested in the last 14 years. However Carolines resmbelence was uncanny there was no denying that they were certainly related.

___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ 

A direct search for a 'Caroline Worhdas' comes up with nothing. Suspiciously nothing. The white apologetic screen being a dead end to that search. Alvin's name was slightly familer to her so she tried that next. Results from an unsolved missing persons case from the year 136ME appeared on screen. 

One article stood out to her. A smaller newspaper had an article about the arrest of the villain Flicker. Wren clicked on it curious as to what the connection was to Alvin. The article read 'The villain Flicker was arrested last Tuesday yesterday afternoon HEROS announced that they were reopening the missing persons case of Alvin Worhdas junior whom went missing in 136ME. Many have speculated that perhaps Mr Worhdas stumbled upon something he shouldn't, as his disappearance lines up suspiciously with his sister's debut as Flicker. Their father Alvin Worhdas senior has refused to comment.' 

Wren shrank back from the screen, the words 'Missing', 'Sister', 'Villain' dancing across her mind. Caroline had murdered her own brother, Wren's uncle, she had finally put the dots together to realise that Alvin Senior was her grandfather, making Caroline her aunt, the aunt whom had murdered her own brother. No wonder she was never discussed in their family. But how had she hidden herself for so long? Wren's family was not exactly unknown. 

There weren't any results. The realisation struck Wren all at once, Flicker had wiped them all from existence. She didn't want to be found. Caroline Worhdas didn't exist.

However Flicker certainly did. Further research reveled that Flicker was now a level 1 threat as apposed to the level 6 she had once sported, apparently getting into constant battles with the HEROS did that to you. 

The library was beginning to close and despite however much Wren wanted to use the classic 'I got distracted doing research on my level 1 villain aunt whom I didn't know existed until last night' excuse, she doubted it would excuse her for being late for School. Further research would have to waite.

0