c506
200 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Thank you for allowing me to speak. First of all, I would like to apologize to my father, Berluti, for not being able to attend this meeting due to illness."

Bergamot bowed with an acting gesture.

So that's why the Marquis Berruti was not here.

I understood, but something was bothering me and I let out a whisper.

Father, how old is the Marquis Berluti?

"He must be in his mid-fifties, I believe. Is there something wrong with that?"

No, I heard that he was not in good health, so I thought he might be older than I had thought.

I had the impression that the Marquis Berluti was in his late forties or early fifties in appearance when I met him before, but I guess I was not wrong.

In this world where medical care is still in its early stages of development, the Marquis Berluti may be classified as an elderly man.

"Now, let me get right down to business, but I would like to confirm one thing with you, Reiner-dono."

Sir Bergamot looked up and smiled with narrowed eyes.

"It's ......, isn't it?"

Father looked at him sharply, but he did not move.

"I'm sorry, Reiner-dono, but are you considering a 'chamberlain' in the future?"

"My wife, Nanny, is enough for me. Sir Bergamot, depending on the intent of your statement, I may take it as an insult to me and my wife."

"No, no, this is outrageous. I apologize if I have offended you. However, in that case, it is quite reasonable for Her Majesty Matilda to say that His Highness Kiel and Lady Meldy are to be engaged for the 'development of the empire and for a future of peace and tranquility."

Not caring about the attention of the audience, Sir Bergamot cowered his shoulders and spread his arms out in a deliberate gesture of fright.

"I wonder what you 'agreed' with me about what I said. Bergamot."

When Her Majesty Matilda wondered about it, covering her mouth with her fan, he sneered and loosened his lips.

'I have been thinking about what Matilda said in her own way. As Her Majesty said, the development of the Bardia territory has been remarkable, and new technologies are being created one after another. There is no doubt that it will become an important territory for the further development of the empire in the future. However, I have noticed that there is one concern that I would like to raise in the future.'

'......What concerns do you have about our territory in the future?"

When I asked back, Sir Bergamot took a moment to look at me meaningfully.

"Before I answer, I would like to ask you a question, Rid-dono. How old are you now?"

"I am eight years old, but I will be nine next month. But what does that have to do with your concerns?"

I don't understand what he is trying to say.

I was uncomfortable and my eyebrows were furrowed.

Lord Bergamot, please be more concise. What do you want to say?"

When His Majesty Irwin twisted his head, he was awed.

"I am sorry to be so long in advance. What I wanted to tell you is the question of the succession of Bardia."

Lord Bergamot's statement drew a gasp from the nobles.

"What nonsense! The heir of Bardia is none other than Rid Bardia here. Have you lost your mind, Sir Bergamot?

Father's voice was shrill and he assumed the shape of a demon.

As expected of him, he looks slightly freaked out, but his mouth relaxes as if he is enjoying the shiver.

'I think I am speaking quite rightly, you know. First of all, even if you call him your successor, Rid-dono is only eight years old. No one knows whether he will be able to come of age and take over Bardia's reins in the future. No one can predict the future, you know."

Lord Bergamot turned his gaze from Father.

"I would like to ask Associate Count Sandra a question."

"...... what is it?"

Sandra wonders in bewilderment when she is abruptly rejected.

"I wonder if there is anything known about the aftereffects of those who have suffered from magical depletion and have been cured."

"Is it the aftereffects ......? No, we are still investigating that aspect of the matter, and I am sure it will become clear in the future."

When Sandra twisted her head, Sir Bergamot nodded his head broadly and said, "I see."

"After all, is that so? So it is quite possible that she is incapable of bearing children."

"......Ha"

While we were stunned by his unexpected statement, he continued to speak as if to Their Majesties and the nobles.

"Earlier, you said that Rainer-dono does not intend to take a "side wife". With all due respect, if a child cannot be born due to the aftereffects of 'magic depletion disease,' then. The only successor will be Rid Bardia. And if something should happen to Rid, the successor will be the husband of Meldy Bardia. This is not a matter that can be postponed."

"Oh, please wait!"

Sandra raised her voice.

As I told you, the aftereffects of the magic depletion disease are still under investigation. Besides, the health of patients who have taken the medicine is improving day by day, so I think it is too early to say that they will not be able to bear a child.

"Oh. Then, can you show us the 'evidence' for this?"

Lord Bergamot, smiling wryly, approaches Sandra.

"The magic power is the source of life force, and everyone has it. Magic depletion is a disease in which that magic power disappears from the patient and eventually leads to death. And that a woman bears, nurtures, and gives birth to a child. This, too, requires nothing but life force. Therefore, I am saying that there is an objective possibility of causing aftereffects. If you say otherwise, please provide me with factual 'evidence'."

"Gu......"

Sandra looked as if she had been chewed out for a moment, but immediately glared back at Lord Bergamot.

"There is no reason to deny it at this time. However, we are still investigating what kind of aftereffects magic depletion disease may have. It is not something that can be judged on speculation or conjecture."

"I see. I understand what you are saying, Count Sandra. But as long as you cannot show any evidence to deny it, it is dangerous to assume that it will be okay. It is not good to make decisions based on wishful thinking."

" Lord Bergamot, if you just shut up and listen to me, you can say whatever you like. How far would you go to taunt my wife?"

Father packed up Lord Bergamot with a devilish look on his face.

But he cowered his shoulders and was outright horrified.

"If I have offended you, I will apologize as much as I can. But this is not a taunt. I am saying this for the sake of the country and its future, considering the worst case scenario based on objective facts. Master Rainer, the Bardia territory has become the focus of the attention of Their Majesties the Emperor and the nobles present here. If Rid-sama grows up in good health and succeeds you, there will be no problem. However, it will take more than ten more years until then. In the meantime, the Bardia territory will continue to develop further. And if something should happen to Rid-sama, it is not difficult to imagine that the issue of the successor of the Bardia territory would develop into a major problem that would divide the empire into two parts. Therefore, Her Majesty Matilda said with such an intention that we should let Her Highness Kiel and Lady Meldy get engaged at the present time. ...... Am I wrong?"

The Lord Bergamot, who was wound up, narrowed his eyes fearlessly and changed the point of his gaze.

6