Chapter 4 – Combat
2.1k 5 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  On my way out of the guild, I stopped by to ask for some recommendations on equipment stores. When I stepped outside, I realized it is already noon seeing how high the sun has risen. I guess I spent a few hours in the reference room looking up information on nearby dungeons.

I pass by some stalls on the street selling food and got some skewers with some chicken and vegetables for my lunch. As I'm eating and walking toward the blacksmith shop, I review the fruits of my work from this morning.

I finally found out why the guild emblem looked like a blue apple tree when I investigated about the dungeons. It turns out that's what every dungeon core looks like in general, but the real surprise was in my findings on the fruits. I'm surprised no one told me about it, was it common sense so they didn't think to note it or it didn't matter if I knew or not as a beginner.

The fruits are actually called Weycorus fruits, no idea why it's named that way, maybe someone had identify in the past. But the most important thing about these fruits is that they give whoever eats them a longer lifespan! Whoever eats them gain at least one year longer to live or more, depending on the dungeon.

No wonder adventurer profession was so popular, you can live longer as long as you get strong enough. There are limitations though, the fruits have to be eaten within the dungeon, or they will just dissipate if brought out, or else I bet each Weycorus would cost a fortune. Each fruit also can only be eaten once, once eaten you will never be able to reach the floor the dungeon core is on again.

Even then, Weycorus fruits are such a big temptation that even nobles and kings dive into the dungeon regularly just for the fruits.

Though the dungeons have mechanisms that prevent them to just flood the dungeon with their armies. To get into a dungeon and to going deeper into each floor, you need to step into a teleportation rune, and only up to six people can be teleported together.

The location you get teleported to is always a random location on that floor too, so working in more than six would be inefficient. So sending elite squads of five to protect the noble is the norm, and there are requests for it too from wealthy merchants.

There is also a legend regarding the Weycorus fruits, they say that whoever manages to eat a fruit from every dungeon in the world will be able to gain immortality.

Seeing how even "God" exist who sent me over, I naturally don't find it unbelievable. Well, it sure is a large goal I would like to try to accomplish, who wouldn't want immortality. Though it would probably be best if I achieve that with girls or I would be lonely being the only one living forever.

Ambitions that aren't grand aren't worthy to be called ambitions, I'm going to try my best to achieve immortality with my own harem! I did get transported to another world, so I must be fated to live the life of a hero right?

---

I enter the blacksmith shop the guild recommended to me and started calculating my budget. I have 40 silver left from paying for the inn, I need to keep at least 10 silvers for living expenses just in case, and there is also other supplies I may need. If I just enter the dungeons and make it back to town by sunset I would only need potions for now hmm.
I decide all I can afford right now is a shield after looking at the prices. I already have a sword and all the armors are out of my budget.

I see the weapons and armor are all neatly arranged with price tag in front of them.

You could hear the sound of blacksmiths hammering in the back, and a few store attendants busy serving other customers. I wanted some time myself to take a look around anyways.

I move to the shield section and use identify on a few shields to compare as I have no idea how to decide.

 

Wooden Shield
Age: 0
Condition: 93/100
Enchantment:

 

Reinforced wooden shield
Age: 0
Condition: 99/100
Enchantment:

 

Iron Shield
Age: 1
Condition: 97/100
Enchantment:

 

War Hide Shield
Age: 1
Condition: 99/100
Enchantment:

 

All the shields didn't have enchantments, I guess enchanted shields are made to order or expensive products that you don't leave lying around. The age only shows in years which isn't useful at all, and the condition is slightly different between the same shield.

The wooden shield cost 15 silvers, reinforced shield 25 silvers, iron shield 50 silvers, and the hide shield was 2 gold. So iron and hide are out, can't afford that for now, I don't think I can even handle the iron shield properly as it was way too heavy for me when I tried it out.

I choose the reinforced shield that was basically no different from the wooden one aside from some thin metal wrapping the edges and some parts on the front. It seems like a better investment than just a piece of wood to me.

After buying one that I find in perfect condition thanks to Identify, I head to my last stop before the dungeon I chose, the potion shop.

The potion shop looks pretty cool, glass bottles of different color liquids feels like a weird perfume shop. They were many selects, some that help you recover stamina, mana, to some that gave a temporary boost in your strength or magic power. They are all pricey though and the only potion I need for an emergency is healing potions.

Unfortunately, the healing potions in this world aren't like in games; where you instantly heal back from drinking, heck even healing spells don't work like that apparently. It just speeds up the natural healing process, and the higher quality the potion or spell, the faster.

The attendant told me the cheapest quality healing potion cost 5 silver each, and it takes hours to heal cuts and fractures. Even when healed you will probably feel sore and won't be back to your best right away.

I begrudgingly buy one and store it carefully in my bag before heading out of town toward the dungeon I chose for today, Greens Filth.

Greens Filth's first few floors were mainly home to those disgusting little rapist I heard so much about in my old world, goblins. Now the reason I chose this dungeon isn't because they were the easiest or I had a fetish to the little buggers. I chose it because its simply the easiest dungeon that was close enough for a one day trip back.

Tomorrow I'm going to head out in the morning which would open many more options to me where I'll be able to practice on easy targets like slimes. Though for now, I'm stuck with goblins and maybe a few wolves.

---

The dungeon was about 8 km northwest, so it took me a whole two hours before I finally arrived at the entrance. The entrance for all dungeons is actually a pitch-black statue of the Weycorus tree, there's also a plaque at the base of it with a conveniently carved name, Greens Filth.

Near the statue you can see some tents and people making camp, presumably other adventurers getting ready to spend the night here. I see some signs that are promoting their services too like healers and carriage transportation. Not that I can afford it, and they seem like they are targeted more to advanced adventurers with more financial ability.

I ignore some gazes of the people there though most don't even pay attention to me and walk straight up to the statue.

The way to enter is simple, touch any part of the statue and say enter out loud. And I do just that.

"Enter."

I instantly hold up my shield and sword and carefully inspect my surroundings. It seems I'm in the forest somewhere which makes up the most of this floor according to the books.

Each floor in a dungeon is like a small separate world, there's even a sun when I look up. Though it is said that they are visible borders in all three dimensions if you get close enough.

The goblins of the first floor should be pretty weak, equipped with only wooden clubs or spears, the thing to watch it for though is if they group up.

Since I was too broke to afford a detailed map, I pick a random direction and decide to slowly move forward, being as stealthily as I can.

It took me 15 minutes to just advance 100 meters, before hearing the sounds of whimpering dog. I slowly move closer to the source of the sound and see the two goblins with their spears piercing into a wolf who is laying on a pool of blood.

The goblins were gutting the wolf, likely preparing a feast for themselves, as they happily skinned the wolf messily.

I don't feel as nervous as I thought I would be, seeing how I'm about to have my first kills, ever. The most I've killed before this were insects like flies and mosquitoes and my state of mind is similar to that right now.

I target one of the goblins.

"Identify."

I mutter under my breath.

 

Goblin Male
Age: 0
Class 2 Monster
Magic Level:

I guess since this is a popular dungeon, this goblin just spawned this year.

A monster's strength is rated into classes, with class 1 being of the weakest. The higher the class of the monster the more power or tricky, I hear the stronger monster at the last few levels of a dungeon is at least a Class 50, scary.

I channel my mana and start casting a spell, thankfully I don't have to scream out the name of my spell as that would be annoying and ruin any surprise attacks.

I conjure a waterball as big as I can and fire it off at the two goblins huddles together. It travels at a speed slightly slower than an arrow would.

The sound of the goblins surprise grunts from taking the hit overpowers the sound of the waterball hitting and splashing over the two goblins. The goblins are knocked off their feet and are now hugging onto the corpse of the wolf.

The one that was slightly closer to me is now coughing out some blood, I hope that means I got a rib.

They two goblins try to get up and turn to me.

"Too slow."

I finish my spell by focusing on the water they are now drenched in and imaging the molecules slow down and shrink.

A thin layer of ice instantly freezes the two goblins in place atop the corpse, shivering as they are completely naked.

I feel my mind is slightly more tired than before, a result of using mana.

I quickly sprint at the goblins before they can break free and stab my sword in each of their hearts.

Most of the resistance I felt was from piercing the thin layers of ice, their naked bodies are easy to slice through.

Confirming the goblin's death, I try to flick my sword clean of blood like in the movies, but some blood still remains. So much for looking cool as I rubbed my sword against the wolf's corpse to clean my blade.

Here comes the disgusting part, I take out the small knife Lawrence gave me and started play brain surgeon with the three corpses. The mana crystals I got were small and cheap ones worth a silver each, like the one Elena showed me.

---

Thankfully this world had matches, I thought to myself as I sat down on a rock, staring into the small campfire I made.

Its been over two hours since I killed my first two goblins, I repeated the same process of slowly creeping around and finding my targets. These goblins are not very perceptive as I had the jump on them over ninety percent of the time. The other ten percent we spotted each other at the same time, but I managed to learn how to quickly freeze the moisture on the ground and make them slip on the icy surface before delivering more spells on them.

I experimented with a few ways I can use my magic. I honestly really wanted to be able to fire ice spears to kill them instantly but I couldn't freeze the water fast enough, instead, I made freezing my targets in place more effective as I froze the water the right after hitting the target.

I also used my electric magic a bit and it worked okay, it uses less mana but stuns them for a shorter amount of time than ice. I tried focusing the electric magic into one point by imagining a lightning rod on my target, and it managed to bore a hole straight through the poor goblin, though it wasn't a very mana efficient move.

My mind feels like I just studied the past few hours to cram for an exam, I decide it's about time to head back since running out of mana alone would be suicidal. I'm told running out of mana affects each person differently, some faint, some just have a splitting headache, or some just can't think at all.

Well, I'm not eager to find out in a dungeon so I backtrack where I came from, reaching a miniature version of the statue I used to get here in the first place.

I put my hand on it and mutter the words to leave.

"Exit."

After a blink of an eye, I see the previous statue I used to enter, and in its surroundings, many more adventurers can be spotted now.

Some are making camp while others are just walking on the road back towards Unatis. I join the latter and make my way back, I sure worked up a sweat today.

While walking back I mentally count back on how many crystals I obtained today. I killed a total of 17 goblins and 2 wolves, plus the extra one I got from the wolves the goblins killed. 19 silver for half a day's work, not bad but I guess normally you would split this with the party.

I also take the time to bring up my status screen to see if I leveled up at all.

 

Human Male
Age: 18

Magic Level:

  Water Lv. 2
  Electric. Lv. 2

Unique Magic:

  Identify

 

So it only went up by one each, even though I used water magic more, I guess leveling up gets harder and harder.

After another two hours, I finally make it back to town, just in time for sunset.

I make my way to the inn to have dinner; tonight was a hamburger made of some unknown meat. Following my routine from yesterday, I ask for some hot water on my way back to my room to wipe myself clean.

I once again plopped myself into the soft bed and think back on my progress for the day, especially my first kill. I'm going to be doing a lot more monster killing more now on and it wasn't that bad; I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I guess tomorrow I'll head to another dungeon and try to level up faster.

Wait...

I forgot to sell the crystals.

Oh well, I have a feeling going at the end of a day would just earn me more time in the line. I'll go in the morning before heading out, hopefully, there isn't much of a line in the mornings.

With that last thought I slowly drifted asleep, or so I wanted but all I could think of is holding a sweet girl that belonged to me in bed with me.

Fucking teenager hormones.

Fuck I want my own harem so bad.

21