Chapter 1: Cursed
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thousands of years had passed since the destruction of Meridia, and there is no one that remembers its long lost glory, or at least not among the living.

Beneath the rubble of where once the gates stood, laid a skeleton on suit of rusted armor, its helmet laid a few steps away from it. This pile of bones was once a knight of the kingdom, who was adopted by the king after he witnessed him being stoned by a crowd of people.

He's cursed, one said, he's received the gift of the dark gods!

His people's country, the land of fire, was consumed by war and plague for it was said that those who lived there made a pact with the dark gods. Said pact bounded them to destruction, thus if they weren't to wage war, they would be stroke with disease instead. Or so the legend said.

The king saw not a curse, but a young boy with dark eyes and skin, with soft features and a pretty face if not for the bruises and charred skin, he saw no hope nor happiness in the kid's eyes, with a body as broken as his soul if not worse.

Throw one more pebble and not matter how tiny it might be, I shall hang you from the top of the towers for the entire nation to see. Incur not my wrath or I shall give you reason to fear.

The king personally tended for the kid's injuries and stood by his side until the fever subside.

When the kid regained consciousness and saw the man resting to his side, he swore on his heart as tears flooded his eyes: Even if I were to die, even if my soul were to be taken, I will repay him for everything he's done for me.

The king adopted the child and named him Souliel, which means purity of soul, he gave him the best education he could've hoped for, and despite his initial difficulties to learn the kingdom's language, he exceeded all expectation. He looked like a prodigy, but in reality, he just worked hardest than anybody around him. Barealy slept more than three hours a day and for the rest of the day he was either training or helping wherever he could.

He hid his face and body as much as he could, for also believes his body was cursed, and not matter how much his father would assure him of the opposite he could not let go of the past. But who could, if your life since you have any memeory it's of constant pain?

He became the general of the kingdom's armies. And defended it from the constant invasions of the neighbor countries and while he managed to win every time, he could not prevent its destruction when Be'ali general of Ka'lia invaded Meridia with a coalition of armies from different nations. As to why the renowned general, who stood for peace and honor did such a thing, it remained a mistery for Meridia.

The city walls were breached, the houses burnt, and the last line of defense stood on the bridge that lead to the castle. They were there to give the royal family as much time as they could, and in front of the remnants of the army, was Souliel. The mages of the kingdom maintained the shields that prevented the siege spells that were bringing ruin to the kingdom.

But the siege suddenly stopped and in front of the army appeared Be'ali who demanded a duel with the general of Meridia, to prevent further bloodshed. Souliel accepted the proposition, for he knew his father and siblings already escaped, so this would prevent his soldiers to die for a lost cause.

Both men exchanged salutations and prepared themselves for they knew none of them held the advantage.

Souliel doned full plate enchanted and both a shield on his right arm and a sword on his left, he always had his visors down for he hated his appearance, but this time he removed his helmet, for he needed his vision. Be'ali was dressed in fine clothing with a mail beneath, he had only but a curved sword which craft could only be described as divine. His eyes crimson like flames, danced from side to side, observing the knights armor, seeking for a breach. Souliel started the duel with a lunge which was parried by the general blade, Be'ali countered with a slash to the Knight's blade hand, which proved little effective, Souliel tried to bash his face with the shield but the general stepped outside his reach. They started once more, but that's all that the knight could remember for somehow, he's lost the memory after that point. Now, his bones laid entrapped with vines and nature's love, unable to leave not matter how he tried. He doesn't know how much time had passed, or that he no longer has any flesh of his own, but he remembers his oath, that he would protect the royal family, his father's.

1