Chapter One: Pawns and a Falling House of Cards
240 5 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Here's another idea that was floating around in my head for awhile and thus it turned into a new story.

Albeit the main character is a little unhinged and tries his best to be a good person but at the end of the day his morals are still really warped. Also given the tags there are some darker themes ahead.

Chapter One: Pawns and a Falling House of Cards

Before the Grandmaster of Xinyan City asecened to Heaven to become a Martial God he left behind a daughter. This child would become the new city lord and a Martial Empress.
 
Liu Yanli was a prodigy, in that she followed in her father's footsteps as a quick learner and a natural leader. However, due to having a reserved nature she was without any genuine companions.
 
As for her appearance she had a beautiful face but a cold expression. Yet her heart was soft. Whereas she was often adorned in willowy flowing robes.
 
The title of Martial Emperor wasn't a hereditary one. Instead it was a title given to any orthodox culivators who became an apex pillar of strength.
 
Xinyan City became the new capital for righteous cultivation. The city had once been a desolate area, but with the backing of the Orthodox Alliance, it had become a thriving metropolis.
 
Ever since the vanquishing of the Heavenly Demon Cult times were peaceful and there was an air of prosperity.
 
The Four Big Clans were even cooperating with one another. While lesser factions were even given the room and chance to expand.
 
Every time Xinyan City was threatened by an outside attack with out fail Liu Yanli was quick to rise to the challenge. In recent years she had become a formidable Martial Emperor.
 
Although her formidable strength was also her greatest weakness. While she was nearly unparalleled with a blade she wasn't that adequate at navigating politics.
 
Then arrived a mysterious man who became Liu Yanli's advisor. A person who would help her navigate around senile clan elders and arrogant young masters.
 
Although theres a certain saying.... Slice through the neck of a hydra and two more heads will grow back.
 
In the shadows groups that were successors to the Heavenly Demon Cult had rebuilt. Hence they lurked waiting for the opputunity to strike back at the Orthodox Alliance.
 
Hence began the fall and decline of Xinyan City. It was a slow process, similar to a poison seeping into the water source.
 
One by one the clans and factions of the city began to squable. As the city lord struggled to keep them all together a sense of unity became increasingly difficult.
 
Her advisors were few and far between, and those that she did have were unable to protect her from those who wished to bring about her downfall.
 
In the end, Liu Yanli was betrayed by those she thought were close allies and perished while protecting her city. Allegedly rumours say only after about one hundred swords and arrows pierced her skin could she no longer put up a fight.  
 
All of this was the prolouge and first few chapters to a xianxia novel called "Peerless Sword Apex." The fall of Xinyan City would have the perfect set up for a revenge and restoration narrative.
 
Then the latest chapter dropped, it was a bait and switch. All that build up for nothing, only for the true protagonist to be revealed!
 
Enter Shi Long. An inner disciple of the Sword Pillar Sect. A child favoured by the heavens. Born with an extraordinary talent he was fortune's favourite.
 
Fate showered him with countless jade beauties and treasure. Okay so maybe it wasn't that shameless but Shi Long was still the main protagonist with a golden finger.
 
Thus within the bigger narrative Xinyan City was nothing more than a foot note.
 
Liu Yanli's true fate remained unknown, relegated to a forgotten side character who maybe tragically died.
 
"Brain dead author! Trash fire story. After reading this flaming garbage my braincells are fried." A man known as Xue Yuan exclaimed.
 
As a modern office worker he didn't have a lot of free time. It was only during lunch breaks that Xue Yuan could actually get around to reading web novels.
 
Over the last two months had he grown attached to Liu Yanli as the main character.
 
Well so much for that. Now there wasn't much for Xue Yuan to look forward to inbetween souless menial paper pushing.
 
Nonetheless it would probally do Xue Yuan some good to take time off work. Lest clocking over time kill him.
 
His head began to feel a bit lightheaded and his chest began to ache. Maybe the stress of work was finally catching up.
 
Finally Xue Yuan's vision began to blur as if he was about to faint. A few moments later he hit the ground with a thud.
 
After an insermountable amount of time had passed Xue Yuan was finally able to see again.
 
"Ah! Minister Xue you're awake." Said a female voice that was oddly familiar. "You passed out suddenly during the meeting so I was worried."
 
"Well as you can see everything's fine my liege." Xue Yuan sternly replied on autopilot. "No need to fear."
 
Wait a second, what was he even speaking like that? No wonder his head still hurt, it was as if two sets of memories had been blended together.
 
Anyways the woman who stood before him was annoyingly fridgid but an important pawn. Yet also his favourite character Liu Yanli.
 
Oh no... This had to be a nightmare or a really bad dream. However, it was more likely a case of transmigration. Perhaps even an instance of recalling a previous life.
 
Still, Xue Yuan had woken up in the body of Nie Zhen, a young man that was Liu Yanli's trusted advisor. Who in reality was actually one of the novel's most nefarious villains.
 
It was by some miraculous coincidence that the original Nie Zhen was using the name Xue Yuan as an alias. 
 
The perfectly crafted guise of Xue Yuan was a feeble young man who was prone to clumsiness and dizzy spells. Yet with a sharp mind that was like no other.
 
In reality he was a human Gu. As a child, Nie Zhen was sealed in a chamber with various poisonous animals and insects. To survive he forced himself to eat all the sickly sweet creatures that squirmed even when killed for consumption.
 
Such a thing seems like barbaric punishemnt. However, for anyone who was the heir of the Demonic Nightshade Sect it was common place.
 
Although Nie Zhen was a shell of a person. He didn't have many likes nor dislikes after said traumatic expereince.
 
Thus Xue Yuan man who had been an office worker remained the dominant persona. Albeit his personaility was now slightly twisted.
 
Most would assume the Heavenly Demon Cult was a unified organization but that was not the case. Instead it was made up of various evil sects that were constantly on edge with one another.
 
Yet when it came to crushing the Orthodox Alliance, there was the facade of a singular faction.
 
Details that had been left out of the novel had become clear to Xue Yuan. This was due to the fact the he now had an extra set of memories.
 
Xinyan City wasn't actually the citadel of the Orthodox Alliance. Rather it was a decoy.
 
Nonetheless various dark factions had decided to infiltrate the area anyway in preperation for their joint schemes to destory the city.
 
It was more an action of provocation than anything. A ploy to rattle the hornet's nest that was the Orthodox Alliance.
 
"Anyways, I was hoping get your personal opinion on an important matter." Liu Yanli confesssed with a sigh: "I have no idea how to lessen the growing tension between the merchants and the nobles."
 
"Tension is a good thing. It creates rivalries and puts pressure on the various vassals to know their place." Xue Yuan replied with a smile that didn't quite reach the eyes.
 
It took him a moment to realize how ruthless his voice sounded. He was speaking in a cold and calculating way.
 
Oh well it was probably something to worrry about for later...
 
"Martial Empress Liu and Minister Xue, I'm sorry to intrude on your private time together but the city is under siege." Stated a miscellaneous guard.
 
"Really? Who would be so bold as to out right attack Xinyan City?" Liu Yanli sighed but steadyied herself.
 
A sinking feeling of nausea made a home in Xue Yuan's gut. If this was what he thought it was then... Fuck.
 
It was the end of the beginning, the fall of Xinyan city had begun.
 
"The Heavenly Demon Cult of course." Appeared a man with a hod obsuring his face.
 
All of the elite guards that were on duty dropped dead from being struck down.
 
Any dread that Xue Yuan initially felt was replaced by a seething anger. Certainly these sudden new feelings caught him off guard.
 
Although it stemed from the fact that the original Nie Zhen wanted to turn Xinyan City into a puppet state. Yet now that plan was ruined.
 
While most evil sects operated under the moniker of the Heavenly Demon Cult they didn't always act in accordance with one another.
 
Whatever, at this point Xinyan City was a lost cause anyway. Now Xue Yuan's objective was to escape with out his cover getting blown.
 
Considering Xue Yuan had a strange addiction to Liu Yanli, his important pawn and beloved heroine. He was generous to take over responsibility for ensuring her survival as well.
 
After all a hero would sacrifice their loved ones for the world. Whereas a villain would sacrifice the world for their obsession.
 
The meaning of names and stuff:
 
Xue Yuan; Family name 'Xue' means (Snowfall - 雪). Personal name 'Yuan' means (Karma - 缘). Also aka Nie Zhen; Family name 'Nie' means (To Whisper - 聂). Personal name 'Zhen' means (Poisonous).
 
Liu Yanli; Family name 'Liu' means (Willow - 柳). Personal name 'Yanli' means (Strength of Vision - 眼力).
 

4