Chapter 13 : A (Serious) Quest from Noah
61 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

When I was wondering, what is that strange sound?

I faced this black cat.

Is this the cat that talks?   In my heart I wonder.

 

{Yeah right, I said it}

 

As if answering the voice of my heart, this black cat gave an answer of immediate approval.

 

"Eh,...?"

 

Can cats talk?   I asked myself again.

 

{Of course not, isn't it obvious that cats can't talk. I'm speaking through your mind directly?}

And he answered it like I was a fool.

 

So in other words, this cat can read my mind too?

Yes, somehow I know that. But how can that happen? Is that telepathy?

 

{Don't overthink it, forget it. More importantly now, once again I thank you for your help}

 

No, that's amazing isn't it? Can read minds and speak through minds. Why should it be ignored for now? I think it's even more important to explain how it works than your superfluous thanks.

Huh~....

While the mind was still racing, I found again the grateful feeling of the black cat.

Like it or not, I got it right.

 

"It does not matter,.."

 

Now that he's thanked, will he not speak again? After eating, this cat even licked his dirty body without any disgust. If it was me, I wouldn't be licking my own body. Well, that's the usual cat scene, isn't it? And he looks cute too, it can't be helped.

So for now is it done? Then I should say goodbye maybe?

"Hmm...?"

As I was about to leave, I remembered something.

Wait a minute, I remember, this cat just called me a player, right?

How does this cat know that I'm a player?

Can local residents like NPCs be able to tell the difference between players or not? When the players clearly couldn't tell the difference?

 

“Hey, black cat,…How did you know I was a player?”

 

I tried to ask this black cat.

Hearing me say this, he then spoke again, naturally through the mind as well.

 

{I have the information, but who is it? It is a secret. If you insist, slowly you will find out too. So forget it for now, what's more important to me, for now, may I make a request of you, dear human player?}

 

'forget it for now', what does that mean? And why doesn't it matter anymore?

Is it something that can't be talked about? If so, why would I find out later slowly?

Hah~, I don't know how I should follow this cat. If he doesn't want to talk about it now, it's up to you.

 

{How? I have a request for you. Are you willing to accept it?}

 

While I was in silence, this cat repeated his request.

 

“Em,… for now, what request?”

{Answer me first, do you want to accept this request or not?}

 

A request? Even I don't know this cat? What is the request and what is its purpose? If you're asking for help, why not just tell me the contents of the request first?

Is this an important request and if I refuse he will leave? Or did he intentionally not tell the contents of his request so that I would be curious about what it was and make me have to say 'yes' first?

But since this cat is clearly an NPC. What's more is the possibility that he is a rare NPC, it might be good if I accept this request. No one knew if an opportunity like this would come again.

 

"Okay, I accept it."

{Thank you, human player}

“Then please call me Chia. I have a name, not a human player.

{Alright, then it will be easier. Okay, I will call you Shia from now on, you too please call me Noah from now on. That will make us more comfortable}

"Okay, Noah. Then, what is the content of the request?”

{Simply put, this is a request to save the world.}

"Haa~...?"

 

Again? Is he very difficult to talk about an explanation.

Well, this might not be my line either. Given that I am also difficult to explain to others. But why can I talk easily with this cat. Oh well, this was probably because he wasn't human. So it makes me more comfortable conversing?

 

Then a notification on a semi-transparent board appeared in front of me, just like when I was checking status and other displays.

 

[A World-class Quest has been granted to you by the Black Tiger Noah, the Guardian Spirit of the World Tree]

 

WORLD QUEST

The rescue of the World Tree which was currently being weakened by the invasion of aliens.

QUEST details will be further informed by the client.

 

Client: Black Tiger Noah (The Guardian Spirit of the World Tree)

Difficulty level: World

Specified period : None

Prize: Unknown

Penalty for Failing: You will not get the reward of what you should have got when you succeeded

 

Will you accept it?

[YES] or [NO]

 

Oh, he's not just an ordinary cat, as expected. 

World Tree Guardian Spirit? Oh, starting to feel fantasy now. Moreover, the name is too mystical for a common cat. But shouldn't the tiger be bigger than this cat? Judging from everywhere, with her size only, he must be a cat, right? It was clear that Noah was now smaller than the tigers I knew. Or, is he still immature?

 

{Is there any problem?}

 

Oh, I forgot he could read minds.

“No, it's just that what's the meaning of Penalty for Failing 'You will not get the reward of what you should have got when you succeeded'? What does it mean?"

{As written}

Okay, I won't ask again.

I pressed 'yes' for approval.

 

"Then quickly tell me the details of the request."

 

Then with a reluctant face, Noah discussed the explanation and chronology of the request in as much detail as possible.

.........

......

...

 

The black cat who stated that his name was Noah explained the details of the mission further later.

According to Noah, it could be said that the Aldea World was currently in a state of danger due to an invasion from alien beings. It's unclear where these creatures came from, but right now all the inhabitants of this world say that they are called monsters. If left unchecked Aldea could die sooner or later.

The reason lies in the World Tree.

The World Tree was a very important existence for this world. This is because the World Tree acts as a support, balancer, guardian, mother of the world, or something else. Because there are so many function terms for the World Tree.

But what is clear is that the World Tree is very important for the survival of this world itself because it is the World Tree that maintains all the life energy in the world. This energy is in the form of available mana like capillaries that spread beneath the earth's surface. And some points that have a greater concentration of mana are called Veins of the earth, with the point of greatest concentration being where the World Tree grows. With this, it could be said that the World Tree was the heart of this world itself.

The Veins are scattered all over the world and it is known that there are seven of them. With the World Tree acting as their heart, the World Tree will be in charge of maintaining the stability of the world's mana by supplying mana to all The Veins of the earth to maintain control of the world's mana balance.

However, right now the World Tree was being seized by parasitic-type monsters that continued to absorb mana from the World Tree. As a result, the World Tree continued to weaken.

Worse, not only the World Tree, all Veins of the earth are also invaded by alien monsters whose existence also absorbs mana energy out of the earth. As a result, the World Tree, which is now unable to defend itself, must have another problem because it cannot supply mana energy to all The Veins of the earth to keep them in balance.

Because, this mana itself is the life energy of this world. With mana, life can be intertwined. The land becomes fertile and a country can prosper. In addition, mana is the main source of magic-producing energy. With magic, humans can live more easily by creating their own magic. Lots of magic techniques that have been discovered by the humans of this world.

That is the use of mana energy for the life of this world. Therefore, if the mana source was dominated by aliens, the fate of the world could deteriorate. And the thing is, only Noah knows about this alien invasion. Apart from him, no one knows.

As in the law of conservation of energy, mana cannot be lost, but can be transformed into other forms of energy such as creating a phenomenon called magic.

Here, alien beings that infest the World Tree and the seven Veins of the earth, take advantage of the absorbed mana to convert it into another form of life energy, creating monsters of its kind. By converting earth's mana life energy to something else, monsters could be created. It's like the birth process, by harnessing the mana energy from the earth, the being that is absorbing mana will act as a parent and create offspring of its kind. The restriction only applies until all of the mana on earth is absorbed and turned into its child. In other words until the world dies.

It's like creating a formidable army to start an invasion.

For now, according to Noah, it's still in the early stages, so it's still not a big deal. But if left unchecked, the forest will be barren and human life that is already dependent on magic, will not be able to last long.

Such was the gravity of the Aldea world crisis as described by Noah.

Noah himself who was the Guardian Spirit of the World Tree was supposed to be in charge of saving the World Tree, but apparently most of his power was a blessing from the World Tree. And now that the World Tree's power was being diverted to something else, the energy it was getting for Noah was weakening.

So with his current strength, it would no longer be possible for him to save the World Tree.

That's why Noa sought outside help before the situation became more serious.

With the amount of information Noah has, a player named Chia is the perfect target to save the world.

No one knows what the reason is. But it's just like the informant said. Since this informant was someone Noah trusted a lot, Noah also trusted this information.

.........

......

...

 

{So that's the situation. How? Are you willing to help me to save this world? Please, I beg you. You're the only one I can rely on.}

If you put it that far, then there's no other choice, right? After all I was made to agree to this from the start.

For some reason, even though it was just a game, this situation actually felt very real. And without realizing it I was also carried away by the atmosphere.

"Of course I will accept it, after all I said 'yes' from the start. But why am I the only one you can rely on?”

{Such an explanation is not important right now. So, now let me explain how this request will go.}

"O-okay..."

 

Although I'm actually quite curious, but Noah always cuts things that make me curious.

 

{Okay, how should I start?.......Right, for now we should first have a contract?}

“A contract…?”

...

If you think this is interesting, don't hesitate to support me to make it more interesting

3