Chapter 19: True God
1.6k 4 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2011

Puente Antiguo, New Mexico

S.H.I.E.L.D Crater Investigation Site

 

(Brock POV)

Thunder rumbled in the gloomy night sky as the sound of thick raindrops striking the mud hit my ears. Wind and rain whip around me as I stare down at Thor's unconscious body.

Looking up at the raining night sky, an unsatisfied sigh escaped my lips.

The fight was...disappointing. I know that Thor's powers are currently debuffed but I still expected more from him, given how he ran through the other agents like they were kids.

As the raindrops slide down my masked face, a familiar powerful vibration rushes through me. I pull up the sleeve of my shirt and see my markings emitting dark crimson energy.

The feeling of power radiates through my body and a small smile comes to my lips as I sense myself getting stronger.

But after a minute the feeling fades and my markings return to normal.

*Knock**Knock*

As the sensation of gaining power vanishes, I feel Cyttorak knock on our link. Opening the connection I hear the cosmic being's deep voice sound in my head.

"What is this...thing, child? It seems like a mortal but has a faint godlike aura locked within him."

Returning my gaze down to the body lying limply in the mud I answered, "This is Thor, Norse God of Thunder."

Cyttorak chuckles mockingly at my words.

"This is what counts as a God nowadays? Back in my time, this thing would barely qualify to be an acolyte, let alone a supreme being."

A puzzled look came to my face at Cyttorak's words. Granted Thor was kinda weak right now but he was still one of the Avenger's heavy hitters.

Before I could respond, sounds of sprinting footsteps filled my keen ears and I could feel a pair of eyes on me.

Closing the link, I looked up to see a hooded figure taking a position on the watchtower above. The figure points a sniper rifle toward my direction.

"I suggest you don't point that at me unless you want to end up like him!" I yell up at the figure while gesturing towards Thor's body.

The figure hesitates but eventually lowers his weapon as more agents, led by Phil Coulson, converge on my location.

Coulson comes up to me and looks between Thor's body in the mud and myself.

"Great work, Captain Rumlow!" He pats me on the back before focusing all his attention on the unconscious body.

More S.H.I.E.L.D Agents move in, guns trained on Thor, surrounding him as Coulson activates his radio.

"Ground units move in, and take the Prisoner. This show's over."

***********

Puente Antiguo, New Mexico

S.H.I.E.L.D Crater Investigation Site

Two Hours Later

 

(Thor POV)

I woke up in a padded holding cell with a glass mirror positioned opposite me. Seated in a chair, hands cuffed behind me, I just stared forward blankly.

A balding middle-aged man walked through the door of my cell and stood in front of me silently but I act like I don't seem to notice or care. I just sit there, head bowed, a broken and lost man.

"I'm Agent Phil Coulson with the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division, better known by its acronym S.H.I.E.L.D." The man introduces himself but I still don't respond.

"It's not easy to do what you did. You made most of us all look like a bunch of mall cops. That's hurtful." Coulson says.

"The men you so easily subdued are highly-trained professionals, and in my experience, it takes someone who's received similar training to do what you did to them. Would you like to tell me where you received your training?"

I just continued to sit in silence, remembering the skull-masked soldier who didn't seem to have any problems facing me.

"Pakistan? Chechnya? Afghanistan? Then again, you strike me more as the soldier of fortune type. What was it, South Africa? Still no answer." Coulson leans in closer to me.

"Certain groups pay well for a good mercenary. Especially HYDRA." Coulson watches my face for a reaction and waits for a response, but gets none.

"Who are you?" He finally asks.

"Just... a man," I respond in a defeated tone.

Coulson studies me for a long moment before moving back towards the door he came in through.

"One way or another, we find out what we want to know. We're good at that." He says and leaves the room.

As the door closes I lower my head again.

"I thought he'd never leave." A familiar voice sounds out in the room as I look up, shocked to find Loki standing there, dressed in 21st-century attire.

"Loki? What are you doing here?!" I question.

Loki fixes me with a smug smile before mockingly answering, "I had to see you."

"What's happened? Tell me! Is it Jotunheim? Let me explain to fath-"

"Father is dead," Loki states coldly as I stare at him in shock.

"What?" I question weakly

"Your banishment, the threat of a new war, it was too much for him to bear."

I take a second as the implications of Loki's words dawn on me.

I'm responsible for my father's fate.

Loki draws closer to me and looks me in my eyes, consolingly.

"You mustn't blame yourself. I know that you loved him. I tried to tell him so, but he wouldn't listen."

Loki reaches a hand up to grab my shoulder.

"It was cruel to put the hammer within your reach, knowing you could never lift it. But who would have thought you wouldn't even be able to get near it?"

I stare ahead blankly, falling deeper into the abyss of despair.

Loki lets go of my shoulder and turn his back on me.

"The burden of the throne has fallen to me now." He says.

"A-am I allowed to go home now?" I ask.

Loki shakes his head sadly.

"The truce with Jotunheim is conditional upon your exile."

"But couldn't we find a way to-"

"Mother has forbidden your return."

His words were like a knife in my heart but I just nod and lower my head, beaten.

"This is goodbye, brother. I'm so sorry."

"No, I'm sorry. Loki... thank you for coming here."

Loki turns back towards me and gives me a heartwarming smile.

"Nothing could have stopped me."

The door opens and Coulson enters the room again but seems to take no notice of Loki being there.

"Farewell, brother," Loki says before vanishing into thin air.

"Goodbye," I respond sadly.

"Goodbye? I just got back." Coulson says while looking at me perplexed.

"Now. Where did we leave off?"

***********

Puente Antiguo, New Mexico

S.H.I.E.L.D Crater Investigation Site

 

(Omniscient POV)

Agents and Scientists work to repair the damaged area around Mjolnir. They take no notice of Loki as he steps up beside the hammer. He stares at it, intrigued, wondering.

Can he do it?

He reaches down, and tries to lift it, but can't. He lets it go, eyes it with contempt, then steps away.

He gestures with his arms. An odd Green and gold light rises from the ground, enveloping him, then he disappears.

In the distance, hidden under the cover of shadows in the base, a creepy painted skull mask watches as Loki disappears.

A power-hungry look can be seen in the hazel eyes beneath the mask.

***********

A/N: Another chapter done! Hope you enjoyed and Thanks for reading!!

72