Chapter 27: Assemble pt.2
1.5k 4 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2012

Classified Location

S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier, Conference Room

A Few Hours Later

 

(Fury POV)

I stand in the middle of the dark conference room as five shadowy figures yell at me from multiple viewing screens.

"This is out of line, Director. You're dealing with forces you can't control!" One of the figures shouts.

"You ever been in a war, Councilman? In a firefight? Did you feel an overabundance of control then?" I question the screen.

"You're saying that this 'Asgard' is declaring war on our planet?" The figure on the right asked.

"Not Asgard, Loki." I corrected.

"He can't be working alone. What about the other one, his brother?"

"Our intelligence says Thor is not hostile. But he's worlds away and we can't depend on him to help either. It's up to us."

"Which is why you should be focusing on Phase Two, it was designed for exactly this purpose." The figure in the middle exclaimed.

"Phase Two isn't ready, our enemy is. We need a response team." I state.

"The Avengers Initiative was shut down for a reason, Director"

"This isn't about the Avengers."

"We're running the world's greatest covert security network and you're gonna leave the fate of the human race to a handful of freaks?" The screen questions.

"I'm not leaving anything to anyone. We need a response team. These people may be isolated, unbalanced even, but I believe, with the right push, they can be exactly what we need."

"War isn't won by sentiment, Director." The last figure, and the one who held the most sway, finally spoke up.

"No, It's won by soldiers."

***************

S.H.I.E.L.D Jump Jet

 

(Omniscient POV)

A hi-tech Jet soars over the vast blue ocean. Inside, Natasha sits beside Brock as they eye the Doctor seated across from them with caution.

"You know you guys can relax. I'm not going to do anything stupid." Bruce says as he notices the two Agents staring at him.

Natasha stayed silent and continued to watch the man with vigilance. After his last little stunt, she wasn't going to let him catch her off guard again. But Brock breaks the silence as a small smile plays on his lips and he lets out an amused chuckle.

"You know we've met before?" He says and Bruce gives the young man a look of confusion.

"We have?"

"Yup. I was a part of the unit General Ross led to capture you back in 2010."

A small spark of anger showed on Bruce's face at his words but remembering the decimation he left in his wake back then, the anger was quickly replaced with shame.

"Look, I'm sorry if I caused any of your friends harm-"

"Oh, don't worry. You just killed most of them and made them disband the unit." Brock interrupted.

Sadness and shame took hold of Bruce and he lowers his head.

"I-I didn't mean to hurt anyone. I wasn't as controlled back then as I am now. I'm sorry." He says in a small apologetic voice, but the smile on Brock's face never leaves.

"Don't worry about it. It was Ross's fault for going after you in the first place."

Bruce looks up, surprised by the young man's forgiving words. He opens his mouth to speak but is interrupted as the pilot calls out, " Sir, we're approaching the base."

Brock nods at the pilot's words as everyone moves towards the aircraft door.

Outside, the Jump Jet flies to a giant Helicarrier hovering in the water, the S.H.I.E.LD logo emblazed on it in all its glory.

Armed Personnel move about all over the vessel, some strapping down jets, and containers as the others guard around the Helicarrier.

The Jump Jet lands. Natasha, Brock, and Bruce step out of it and are met by two familiar faces.

"How was the mission?" Coulson asks as Natasha leads the group over to him.

She gestures back at a nervous Bruce standing behind her.

"We got it done." Natasha looks over at the tall blonde-haired man standing beside Coulson.

"Oh, Agent Romanoff this is Captain Steve Rogers." Coulson introduced the two.

Steve gives the woman a polite smile and reaches his hand out.

"Ma'am."

Natasha shakes his hand.

"Hi." She says simply.

They let go and Steve eyes the two men standing behind her.

"Doctor Bruce Banner, he'll be helping us find out where Loki took the Tesseract." Coulson stated.

Bruce gave the man a polite wave.

"Doctor Banner." Steve nodded toward him and moved his eyes over to the black-haired young man next to him.

"And this is Captain Rumlow. He runs our S.T.R.I.K.E team." Coulson introduced.

Steve raised his eyebrow at the young man's rank and studied him a little closer.

"Honored to meet you, Sir. I've heard a lot of stories." Brock says calmly and reaches a hand out towards Steve.

"Bit young for a soldier. How old are you son?" Steve questions as the two shake hands.

"I'm Twenty, Sir." Brock lied.

Steve gives the young man a considerable look and shakes his head.

"I was five years older than you when I first joined the army, let alone become a Captain. You must be quite talented."

"I only try, Sir," Brock said modestly.

Steve nods at the young man's words as another S.H.I.E.L.D agent moves over toward the group.

"They need you on the flight deck, they're starting the face trace." The agent says to Coulson who gives the agent a small nod.

"Alright. Captain Rumlow, you and your men try to get some rest. I want you all ready for anything that comes." Coulson orders as he follows the agent to the flight deck.

"Looks like I can finally get some sleep. See you three later." Brock says as he walks to the interior of the Helicarrier, leaving as Natasha, Steve and Bruce get to know each other.

"It was quite the buzz around here, finding you in the ice. Thought Coulson was gonna swoon. Did he ask you to sign his Captain America trading cards yet?" Natasha asks.

Steve gives her a confused look.

"Trading cards?"

"They're vintage. He's very proud."

The two hear a noise behind them and look back to see Banner, who is bumping into people while he observes the carrier.

Steve moves over toward the man and taps him on the shoulder.

"Word is you can find the Cube."

Bruce turns around and eyes the Captain suspiciously.

"Is that the only word on me?" He asks.

"Only word I care about," Steve states simply.

Bruce studies the Captain for a moment before nodding his head.

"Must be strange for you, all of this." He says while gesturing toward the jets and crates around them.

"Well, this is actually kind of familiar," Steve says as Natasha walks over and joins the two.

"Gentlemen, you might wanna step inside. It's gonna get a little hard to breathe." She warns as a voice calls out over the intercom.

"Flight Mode. Secure the deck."

There is a loud whirring and clunking sound and Bruce and Steve make their way to the edge of the Helicarrier.

They watch as Propellers begin to spin and the Helicarrier begins to lift into the air, ascending higher and higher.

************

S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier

Nick Fury's Office

 

(Fury POV)

 

"How was the mission? Anything of note?" I called out to the seemingly empty room while seated at my desk.

The air in front of me shifts as a white armored figure fades into existence.

"Nothing to report. The target didn't do anything but his assignment."

I shake my head at her words, frustrated.

My gut was telling me something was up with the S.T.R.I.K.E team, but I couldn't find any evidence to give me confirmation, and now with the Tesseract being taken and an imminent threat on its way, I don't have the time to worry about what Pierce's dogs are up too

"Keep eyes on him. With Natasha focused on finding Barton, you are the only one I have on this. If he tries anything....kill him."

The helmeted figure cocks her head to the side at Fury's words but doesn't say anything. The air shifts around her as she simply fades out of view.

************

A/n: Hey guys! I know not a lot happened in this chapter but you know what I'm building towards. Anyway, as always hope you're enjoying the story and thanks for reading.

69