Chapter 44: Post-Bellum
1.3k 3 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2012

New York City

Underground Sewer Tunnel

 

(Ava Starr POV)

"Join you?" I questioned while glancing skeptically at the handsome young man beside me. "What do you mean by that?"

Brock made no attempt to hide his amusement from my words. His cold hazel eyes sparkled with delight in the dark tunnel as he studied me.

"I won't go into my whole backstory, but let's just say you and I are in similar situations," he explained. "We're both stuck as tools to be used by our masters. Forced to serve their goals. Both expendable. But neither of us wants to die. So I figure...why not share the burden? Why not stick together and start building a better future for ourselves instead of just surviving?"

I scowled at his words.

"I've already dealt with one monster who tried to use me for their own purposes," I reminded him, "and I'd like to avoid dealing with another."

But Brock simply shrugged and rolled his eyes.

"Not like you have much choice," he scoffed. "The way I see it, you're just going to waste away in that armor until you eventually die. So it's either that or you join me and try to make something more of yourself than just being Fury's weapon. It might feel like your just trading one master for another...but at least with me, you'll have a chance at making a real life for yourself."

I paused for a moment to think over the young man's words.

I knew he was right. There were few options available to me.

Keep doing what I'm doing until I literally run out of time. Or...join forces with someone new.

A man with powerful unknown abilities...who sees things differently than I do. Someone who isn't afraid to get his own hands dirty.

Someone who doesn't want to sit idly by and let others determine his fate.

I thought carefully about Brock's words before letting out a deep sigh.

"Fine," I muttered. " I don't really know what it is you're after...but if you promise to help find a cure and get me from under Fury's thumb, then I'll help you with whatever you need."

Brock smiled at my submission.

"Then we have a deal?" he asked and reached his hand out toward me.

I hesitated for a moment, looking at his hand for a long time before finally taking it.

"Deal," I agreed with a slight grin of my own.

Brock grinned back at me and I felt a chill run through me at having made a decision that might change my destiny forever.

Whether for better or worse...only time would tell.

*******

New York City

Underground Sewer Tunnel

 

(Brock POV)

Ava led me further down the tunnel, chatting about some of the missions she was sent on and how her powers worked. I listened intently, curious to hear every detail, but didn't contribute much to the conversation, knowing that I couldn't afford to give away any more information than necessary.

When she was done talking, I asked a few questions about her past to make her feel more comfortable around me.

She told me about her father, who worked for S.H.I.E.L.D as a scientist alongside Hank Pym, and how she witnessed the fallout of their partnership, resulting in Pym kicking her father out of S.H.I.E.L.D. and smearing his name within the scientific community.

"My father tried to continue his research independently, desperate to restore his name. So, he took risks. Too many, until...something went wrong. He told us to run. I could tell he was scared. I didn't want him to be alone... When I woke up, my parents were dead. I wasn't so lucky."

Ava shivered at the memory and I reached over to put my hand on her shoulder in a comforting gesture. I could feel her stiffen at first, but after a moment she relaxed against my touch and let out an uneasy sigh.

"Sorry," I murmured.

"For what?" She questioned.

"I didn't mean to bring up any bad memories," I apologized.

Ava slowly nodded her head and glanced over at me.

"Thanks," she whispered. "I appreciate it."

I pulled my hand back and kept walking, trying to give her space.

"So, what happened to you after that?" I asked. "You said you ran..."

Ava nodded her head.

"One of my father's ex-colleagues, Bill Foster, found me and took me into S.H.I.E.L.D. He cared for me like family. But he couldn't protect me from those who saw opportunity in my affliction."

The tunnel grew somber for a moment as Ava reflected on her past, and we continued on in silence.

The sound of running water and scurrying rats filled my ears as we eventually made our way to a ladder leading up to a manhole cover.

"This is our exit," Ava informed me. "It's supposed to lead to a secluded area of Washington Square Park, but I don't know for sure. Let me go up first and scout around, then I'll knock on the cover to let you know when it's safe."

"Sounds good," I replied.

Ava nodded her head and climbed the ladder first, phasing through the manhole cover above.

I waited patiently for a minute, using my enhanced senses to listen out for any commotion above before a soft knock sounded on the metal cover.

Hearing the signal, I climb up the ladder and effortlessly move the cover out of the way to reveal the midday sky above. I quickly stepped outside the sewer and scanned the surrounding area.

I was standing in a patch of trees to the side of the park where a homeless couple was currently sleeping. Potholes, Smashed cars and Fallen trees were littered throughout the park. The grassy field empty, except for a small group of people who were queuing up at the entrance, waiting to get to the medical tents which were lined up down the street.

As I glanced around the damaged park, I abruptly felt a small vibration throughout my body and turned my head to the side as I sensed Ava's invisible form move beside me.

The air around her shifted as she faded into view.

"So...what now?" She asked.

I took a moment to think it over.

Currently, my main goal is to get from under both S.H.I.E.L.D and Hydra's thumb while snatching as much Information, Resources, and Power as I can get.

With the side objective of finding a cure for Ava and securing her complete loyalty.

But after that...

What is my purpose?

Truthfully...I had no idea.

I've been in this universe for so long, but I never really thought about what I wanted to do with this new life. Until now.

Sure, there were some old scores I had to settle...

Dr. Whitehall.

Taskmaster.

But after that...

I shook my head and let out a tired sigh, deciding to think about my plans later. Right now, I should focus on completing this first goal before I start thinking deeply about my purpose in life.

"Now, you go back to Fury and give your report. I'm sure I don't need to remind you to keep certain things under wraps," I look over at Ava, who gives a nod. "After that, I'll meet you back at S.H.I.E.L.D HQ and we can figure out a way to cure you. Sound good?"

Ava nodded at my words.

"Sounds good...Captain?" She said questioningly.

I stared hard at her for a moment before letting out a slow exhale.

"Let's just call me 'Brock'," I told her. "For now."

Ava nodded her head in agreement.

"Alright, Brock... But what do you plan on doing ?" She asked.

I gave her a long pause before replying.

"I have to go grab the rest of my spoils."

**********

A/n: Hey Guys! So this chapter marks the end of the avenger arc. I know some of you were expecting Brock to fully leave both Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D after this but he still needs some time to garner allies that will make up for his weaknesses, gather resources, and figure out what he ultimately wants to do with his powers.

Hope you are enjoying the story so far and as always thanks for reading!

If you like my work and want to support it, check out Patreon.com/Swarthy or Paypal.me/xSwarthyx . Every bit helps and is appreciated.

Shoutout to my fellow Travelers on Patreon:
- Iceinferno
- Devon Bolwaire
- Cbnr2336

59