Chapter 64: And the Award Goes To…
552 3 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2013

Seoul, South Korea

U-GIN Research Lab, Parking Garage

 

(Dr. Helen Cho POV)

'If you would like to find out what really happened to your husband... Call the number listed.'

I read and reread the short sentence three times, wondering what exactly the words 'really happened to your husband' could possibly mean.

Was someone actually able to identify what happened to Philip?

That can't be true!

Can it?

Most of the authorities and private detectives deemed his disappearance as being due largely to foul play stemming from illicit affairs. Others believed he committed suicide under mysterious circumstances shortly after learning about me becoming pregnant with our next child.

None of those theories offered me much consolation though, as they didn't sound like the man I married.

Philip loved his family, there's no way he would just leave us without explanation for whatever reasons anyone claimed. And certainly wouldn't commit suicide. No matter how bad things got, he'd fight tooth and nail until the bitter end defending us with everything he had. Suicide was totally foreign concept to him…until recently, apparently.

Suddenly shaking uncontrollably, I drop the note onto the passenger seat and repeatedly punch at the steering wheel as tears stream freely down my cheeks. All rationality goes flying straight out the proverbial window as raw emotion takes control of my body and soul.

Fearful desperation overwhelms me suddenly making breathing hard to accomplish let alone focus properly on driving safely.

Panic sets in as the reality of the situation sinks in deep. For months I struggled desperately searching everywhere imaginable for clues leading to Phillip's whereabouts, desperate to uncover evidence proving he was even still alive. Search warrants were issued, police investigations conducted, surveillance cameras monitored, interviews, and search parties - all yielding nothing substantial whatsoever. Nothing except unanswered questions begging for answers.

Now, after three years of wandering around in the dark, someone finally wants to come forward to explain where he went. Why? What did they know already that nobody bothered telling ME?!

Taking a deep breath, I try to pull myself together. With trembling fingers, I pick the note back up and stare at the phone number printed clearly underneath. It doesn't look familiar, probably because it isn't a local Korean number. However, I decided to give it a shot anyway.

At worst, I'll learn more information about my husband, possibly confirming rumors circulating privately between friends and neighbors here locally. Or it could confirm that Philip is indeed dead... which might serve equally as well too.

Trying unsuccessfully to calm myself down, I remove my cell phone from my purse and dialed the number indicated at the bottom of the letter.

*Brrriing*

*Brrriing*

*Brrriing*

After the third ring, somebody finally picks up the line.

"...Dr.Cho. Glad you found my note." A deep unfamiliar male voice says in fluent Korean that was accented heavily with American intonations.

The phone goes quiet for nearly thirty seconds as I try to find the words to respond coherently. "...Yes…" My breath catches in my throat as the reality of what I was doing dawns on me fully. "Is..is it true? Do you really know what happened to my husband?"

Silence rings ominously loud over the phone for a moment before the person on the other end spoke one word that completely shattered the dam of emotions I built up inside. "… Yes.'

Anxiousness and Fear grip tightly inside my chest threatening to choke the life right outta me and tears flow profusely anew as I try to force myself to calm down.

"H-how do I know you're telling the truth?!" I question the man as my hands shake violently while gripping a tight hold of the steering wheel.

Another pause follows quickly afterward, followed by a heavy sigh. "You won't."

Biting my lips, I stay silent and listen attentively as I hang onto every single syllable uttered from the stranger's mouth.

"…But if you want to hear what I know..." His tone sounds apathetic almost cold. Like he was indifferent to the plight of trauma he was subjecting me to. "Come to the address I just texted you." He then hangs up abruptly, leaving me staring blankly at my cellphone screen numbly, unable to comprehend what just transpired.

Confusion reigns supreme as doubts swirl wildly causing my panic to set in deeper.

What do I do?

What am I supposed to believe?

Is he lying or not??

Who IS this guy anyways?

HOW DOES HE CONNECT TO MY HUSBAND???!!!

Shaking relentlessly now, I hit the redial button frantically but the call doesn't even go through. Frustrated beyond belief, I open my message and look at the last text I just sent.

'Mt. Ansan Jarak-gil Trail - 2 hours.'

I stare down at the text for a second, unsure if I should follow such cryptic instructions. Then anger seethes through me forcing me to make a quick decision. If this mystery caller really knew anything about Philip...then it's worth the risk to see firsthand what he knows, especially since this has been the only shred of tangible evidence connecting to Phillip I've heard since he went missing.

After all these painful agonizing years spent struggling to survive in limbo, perhaps this stranger might provide some answers regarding why he disappeared...

Finally coming to a decision, I start my car and pull out of the parking garage, heading northbound on the highway towards Mt. Ansan Jarak-gil trailhead.

****************

Seoul, South Korea

Mt. Ansan Jarak-gil

 

It took a grueling hour and a half of driving through the rush hour traffic congestion before I arrived near Mount Ansan jarak-Gil Park entrance gate.

After paying the cash fee required by the park rangers stationed nearby, I drove slowly further uphill, climbing steep roadways. Finally nearing the entrance to the walking trail bridge overlooking the Seoul city skyline below filled with lights twinkling brightly against the black backdrop skyline.

Tall trees line both sides of the winding narrow footbridge, which led up to Ansan Mountain's summit. Offering a spectacular view of the sprawling metropolis laid out beneath.

As I step out of the car, the late dusk hits me as I look around the entrance for the person I was supposed to be meeting.

Traffic noise is barely noticeable amidst the peacefulness provided by natural surroundings. Small clusters of people strolled leisurely along pathways lining opposite sides of the bridge enjoying the cool evening breeze and fluttering their hair gently brushing past them.

Trees cast shadows across the path, creating secluded nooks perfect spots to enjoy solitude away from crowds milling about. Couples holding hands stroll side by side arm in arm gazing lovingly into one another eyes, oblivious to the world surrounding them, lost within themselves momentarily forgetting all their worries and concerns.

*BUZZZ*

My phone vibrates and I reach into my pocket to retrieve it, noticing one new text notification alert blinking brightly on the display screen.

'Head up the path and take a seat at the third bench you pass.' The text reads.

The sender must have seen me arrive, which means he's somewhere in the area...watching me.

I shiver nervously, glancing around as I try to locate any suspicious-looking individuals lurking somewhere close by; however, everyone looks friendly and happy, relaxed as they have fun chatting happily among groups spread evenly throughout the entire wooden trail.

Uncertainty fills me once again as I'm left pondering whether or not I made the correct choice in trusting whoever this mysterious person was.

But, casting aside any morbid thoughts, I move away from my car and began to make my trek up the trail of the mountain.

After several minutes of hiking upwards steadily gaining elevation, I pass my two picnic bench stops, continuing onward cautiously until a third bench finally comes into view up ahead.

Moving closer to the tree-lined sitting spot, I look around sharply as I search the vicinity for any signs of someone approaching. Noticing nothing out of the ordinary, I sit down stiffly on the bench and watch closely for anybody who may approach unexpectedly.

The sun completely set behind the horizon as I waited anxiously for something to happen.

After thirty minutes, I continue scanning the darkness concealing thick forest foliage surrounding me on either side of the trail. Suddenly hearing footsteps rapidly approaching from directly behind me.

Startled by the sudden movement, I jump out of my seat as a tall figure appears from between the trees surrounding the trail.

The tall figure was dressed casually wearing jeans, a white t-shirt that stretched snugly over his broad shoulders, and covered with an unbuttoned jacket worn loosely over his broad shoulders, exposing muscular arms flexing slightly as he walks briskly toward me.

His hazel eyes sparked slightly understand the night sky, giving him the appearance of a menacing shadow stalking silently upon prey.

Dark features accentuated a handsome masculine face, complimented nicely by the mid-length wavy jet-black hair that was shaved at the sides and tied up neatly in the back.

A small friendly smile graced his face when we first locked gazes, making him appear genuinely pleasant and inviting.

Yet, anxiety still gripped my heart instantly rendering me speechless.

"Dr. Cho, glad you decided to meet." said the stranger, extending a hand in greeting. "It's a pleasure to meet you in person."

He smiles kindly, flashing pearly whites. His posture exuded confidence, unlike most men I've encountered. The only thing lacking is the warmth that wasn't emanating from his penetrating gaze.

"Um…hello…" I manage to squeak softly feeling somewhat intimidated by the handsome stranger standing so close beside me, towering above me like an adult looking down at a small child.

He extended his hand toward me wanting to shake mine. Uncertain how to react, hesitant yet curious, I accept the offer. As our palms touched briefly, he smiled warmly again taking notice of my nervous reaction.

"I'm sure you have a lot of questions," He begins conversationally, speaking English rather than Korean. "And hopefully will get your answers soon enough. But let us begin there shall we?" He points towards the empty space on the bench. "We can talk better seated comfortably instead of trying hard to keep awkward eye contact."

Relieved knowing I don't need to speak much during this initial encounter, I nod politely accepting his suggestion. After getting situated properly on the wooden bench, I turn my head sideways to study the mysterious young man seated beside me curiously wondering what kind of background he had besides being able to communicate fluently in multiple languages.

Although I couldn't tell exactly what age he looked based solely on appearances alone due to a lack of distinguishing characteristics except for height, physique, build, and clothing style, he appeared young judging by his looks.

Perhaps early twenties would be an accurate estimation considering physical attributes. However, I wasn't entirely certain.

"I can practically see your thoughts racing through your mind as you attempt to process everything going on right now, Dr. Cho." Said Brock quietly, breaking the silence after noticing me intensely scrutinizing him for quite a while. "So many things are unclear still aren't they?" He continues matter-of-factly without waiting for a response from me. "But I do hope I can maybe make things clearer to you." He added calmly studying my expression carefully.

Without warning, his intense focus suddenly shifts back to the scenery passing around us.

"W-who are you?" I ask hesitantly.

However, no answer comes forth, prompting more anxiety to rise inside me each time my heartbeat starts beating faster. Instead, he simply stares straight forward for a while, watching passersby walk swiftly alongside us unaware of our presence concealed in plain sight.

"...Let's just say, I'm an old friend of Phillip's." Brock nonchalantly voices, sounding amused.

"Where is he?" My voice quivers noticeably as apprehension rises dangerously high in anticipation of answering the dreaded question burning deep within me, hoping desperately for good news – although dreadfully afraid of receiving bad tidings too.

This stranger could very well be the solution for all those unanswered questions haunting me endlessly day and night...or worse! Could be connected somehow to whatever happened to Phillip himself!

Brock lets out a sad sigh as he leans forward, resting his elbows on top of his knees. "What if I told you that the reason why Phillip vanished isn't that he ran away on purpose? What if I also explained that someone forced him to leave?" He asks solemnly. "Would that help ease your pain substantially? Would it bring closure to end this nightmare you're living in right now?"

Looking at him intently, I stared deeply into his face, searching for clues that might give me some indication if indeed he was telling the truth or not.

"W-What are you talking about ?" I question.

"Your husband got caught up with some dangerous people..." Explained Brock sadly shaking his head in disbelief while staring downwards as though remembering unpleasant memories. "They threatened him into working for them under duress using threats and blackmail tactics to force cooperation." He pauses letting out a heavy breath. "Phillip didn't have any allies within this organization other than me. We worked together to bring down this group." A pause followed then continued. "...but unfortunately, Phillip was exposed as a traitorous double agent and was forced to go into hiding..."

Gasping loudly, I grab hold of the edge of the bench tightly as I listened attentively to every word spoken by the mysterious person seated next to me. It felt surreal listening to somebody else describe events involving the person you thought you knew everything about.

Fear grips me anew as I go over every memory I had of Phillip since we've been together.

The long work hours.

The mysterious late-night calls.

How he started acting strangely lately including disappearing frequently leaving me worried sick about where he'd gone.

And lastly...how he kept insisting on spending more nights away from home, claiming business trips were necessary.

A small part of me thought he might've been cheating, but Phillip never struck me as that kind of man. He loved his family dearly, always putting us before himself. In fact, he used to complain constantly saying how selfish I am whenever I refused to accompany him anywhere, even on little errands such as grocery shopping.

Anger begins building up inside me, as the thought of someone forcing that kind and loving man into abandoning his family and leaving us with no idea whether he was even alive anymore makes me want to scream aloud in rage!

I look over to Brock, who was studying my reaction carefully, and noticed my inner turmoil stirring as anger simmers within me.

"Who...?" I questioned softly while clenching my fists tight underneath my thighs. "Who are the bastards that took my husband away from me?!" Screaming loud enough for anyone nearby to hear, startled onlookers stopped dead in their tracks turning heads simultaneously and surveying my direction.

Hearing my outburst, Brock's face showed slight surprise as he glanced quickly around cautiously.

Then realizing nobody heard anything beyond the soft sounds coming from our muted conversations, he turned back toward me, a small amused grin forming across his lips before returning his attention elsewhere.

"Have you ever heard of a group called Hydra..." Asked Brock in a low, conspiratorial tone deliberately avoiding direct eye contact as he watched the others walking past us along the trail.

**********

A/n: Hey guys, I hope you are enjoying the story so far, and as always, thanks for reading!

If you like my work and want to support it, check out Patreon.com/Swarthy, where you can read early chapters or go to Paypal.me/xSwarthyx Every bit helps and is appreciated.

Shoutout to my fellow Travelers on Patreon:

- Iceinferno                              -Bowen Bowen
- Devon Bolwaire                     -Ethan Ratliff
- Cbnr2336                               -emahue64
- Flingpin
- Ibrahim 

28