Chapter 72: Clearing House
498 0 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2013

New Haven, Connecticut

Outside the Port of New Haven

A Few Minutes Earlier

 

(Captin America Pov)

"Security looks tight," I said aloud to the young Major beside me as I scan the surroundings with the infrared goggles carefully, noting the number of guards patrolling the gate of the port. "A silent infiltration might not work. We might need to just go in swinging instead."

"Agreed," Brock replied nonchalantly, scanning the landscape using his own pair of goggles. "We should blow the gate first to direct their attention to the front, while the ground troops and choppers move inward from the air and rear. You infiltrate the base in the confusion and find Ms.Amanat, while I, Natasha, and my men focus on capturing this Eric guy."

I nodded approvingly, agreeing fully with his plan. The sooner we secure the facility, the better chance we stand of finding Sana alive.

Brock placed his hand to his ear, relaying the plan to his troops positioned around the port, as I creep back low next to Black Widow alongside some rocks near the edge of the grassy hill overlooking the entrance.

"You ready?" I asked the beautiful woman holding onto her rifle tightly as she scanned our perimeter intently.

Despite having served together for a while, we had never spoken much beyond simple greetings.

Natasha gave me a quick nod in return as she adjusted her position slightly, aiming toward where she expected movement to emerge soon after detonation. Then she took aim at a guard walking casually along the wall closest to the west exit.

"…All set." She whispered quietly.

After receiving confirmation, Brock gave the order and as planned, moments later a small rocket was shot at the front gate, exploding and taking out eight unsuspecting mercenaries guarding the entryway.

*Boom!!*

Immediately following that blast, heavy gunfire rang out as Black Widow and the S.T.R.I.K.E team opened fire simultaneously, targeting the mercenaries and covering most of the open areas around the gate of the port.

Four military helicopters flew above slowly, approaching from different directions while laying firing down on the disorganized mercs whenever possible, striking multiple targets per pass.

As bullets flew through the night sky, Brock fired three rounds from his rifle, right into the middle of a cluster of soldiers charging forth toward us. Three fell instantly struck down by lethal shots to the center mass killing four others outright.

"I'm going in!" I shouted loudly, charging down the hill with my shield outstretched in front, towards the opening in the gate manned by several gunmen standing vigilantly outside.

Bullets slammed against my shield sending sparks flying everywhere as kept moving forward, eventually making my way through the gate and into the port itself.

Looking around hastily amidst the chaos, I spotted several storehouses lining the dock which seemed like likely places to hide victims of kidnappings.

I took a step towards the storehouses but was suddenly rocked as a stream of bullets grazed against my shoulder, throwing me back violently, but thankfully did little else to my armor besides stinging like hell.

Regaining my balance, I looked back to where the attack came from and saw an enemy mercenary running towards me wielding a submachine gun and pointing it squarely at me.

His face hidden underneath his helmet, he advanced closer, and I noticed deep red stains splattered all over his uniform, indicating fresh gunshot wounds sustained during the battle. It looked as if the merc was on his last leg and probably was looking to go out fighting rather than surrender himself.

He raised his weapon threateningly and pointed directly at my forehead, exhaling sharply as he pulled the trigger, rapidly spraying lead pellets aimed solely at my skull.

My shield deflected the majority of the projectiles harmlessly aside allowing me enough room to dodge backward, narrowly avoiding the gunfire.

As the mercenary sprinted further ahead, I turned and flung my shield hard, hitting the mercenary square in the gut and knocking him flat on his behind.

As he coughed uncontrollably, clutching his wounds, I caught my returning shield in mid-air and readied myself defensively again preparing for more incoming attacks.

As the guy regained control of breathing normally, he rose unsteadily and got back up, raising his machine gun with great effort once more. Unfortunately, though, fatigue overcame him as well, and despite still being able to shoot accurately even in pain, the merc finally collapsed dead due to the excessive loss of blood

I paused briefly, admiring the man's strong will, but was instantly thrown back into action as more bullets thundered throughout the narrow space between us, forcing me to duck lower beneath the surface of my shield.

Bullets ricocheted wildly as they passed dangerously close to my head, but I continued retreating deeper into the port.

Eventually reaching the buildings along the dock, I search through each of them patiently while listening closely to the sounds coming from the fight unfolding outside.

After a few minutes of fruitless searching, however, silence reigned supreme save for the occasional distant gunshot originating from afar, giving the indication that the rest of the operation was proceeding smoothly.

Then abruptly, I felt Natasha's presence come rushing from behind me, startling me so badly as I instinctively took a fighting stance when she appeared seemingly from nowhere.

"Did you find her?" She inquired softly, peering curiously into dark corners, examining every nook and cranny thoroughly in hopes of spotting anything suspicious.

Shaking my head sadly, I answered honestly. "She isn't here."

Natasha didn't seem bothered by the bad news, merely nodding understandingly as she proceeded onward.

"We captured the leader. Brock and his men are looking after him along with the rest of his surviving cronies..." She informed.

"He talking?" I queried hopefully.

If he were to tell us where Sana was taken to, maybe we would make it in time to rescue her...before something terrible happens.

"No," She replied simply, "Fury wants to do the interrogation himself. We're to transport the prisoners back to headquarters immediately."

My heart sank upon hearing that information, knowing full well that every second we wasted meant less opportunity for saving Sana.

"Why does he want to do it himself? I'm sure You or Major Rumlow could interrogate him easily!" I exclaimed angrily.

"Orders are orders." She stated simply, "And Fury is very particular about who gets involved with such delicate matters involving high-profile individuals."

I scowled, grimacing bitterly under my cowl as suspicion grew within me regarding why exactly Fury wanted to personally handle this situation.

Was there really no other option available? Or perhaps it was actually true that only Fury could get these guys to talk? Either possibility made me nervous for reasons unknown, but worst case scenario, whatever reason lay behind this decision could spell doom for our chances of rescuing Sana in good condition.

"Let's hurry up and finish this already, shall we?" Natasha suggested impatiently, gesturing for me to follow her outside toward the docks.

As I walked side by side with her, I prayed silently for Ms. Amanat, hoping desperately that fate would smile kindly on her...granting her strength, but also sending a fervent prayer that God keeps her protected till we could arrive to save her...

*********

Somewhere off The Coast of Cape May

A Few Hours Later

 

(Omniscient POV)

Sana Amanat woke up groggily from sleep inside a large metal shipping container surrounded by dozens of similarly sized containers stacked neatly atop one another.

While the interior lighting wasn't bright nor overly powerful compared to normal household lights, the darkness outside provided an ample amount of shadows cast around the gloomy confines of the box, preventing any escape attempt without detection. As far as she knew anyway.

The door to the storage unit was secured shut from the outside with chains fastened securely into place.

Dark bruises and welts covered her arms, face, and torso, evidence of recent beatings inflicted upon her body presumably done either by captors attempting to break her spirit or worse yet…torture her psychologically until she told what they needed to know. Whatever methods they used worked evidently judging by the fact that she'd been unconscious ever since arriving at wherever the fuck she currently found herself stuck in.

Her mind raced furiously, trying to figure out any way out of this mess, but unfortunately, none presented themselves readily.

Panic gripped her throat painfully as she struggled to breathe past the choking sensation caused by panic-induced fear, tears streaming freely from her eyes and her hands shook nervously as she clutched at the rope wrapped tightly around her wrists shakily, feeling helplessness wash over her completely.

What am I supposed to do now...?

Why me?

Is this how I die?!

Where Are We??

Who Is This Person Trying To Kill Me?!?!?

Every question racing through her thoughts led inevitably to another, causing her anxiety level to spike higher and faster with each passing moment as uncertainty overwhelmed her senses.

Her skin crawled uncomfortably and goosebumps erupted across her flesh as cold sweat dripped steadily from her brow and ran down her temples leaving wet trails along her cheeks.

Suddenly, a metallic clang rang out as the door of the large metal shipping container was opened forcefully, followed shortly thereafter by footsteps accompanied by a familiar voice that sent shivers of terror coursing down her spine.

"Are you ready to talk yet?" Her capture, Baker, spoke gruffly as he stepped into view.

A bald head and ginger-colored beard revealed a muscular frame clad in black tactical gear complete with bulletproof armor strapped firmly tight against his chest, wearing combat boots and carrying a holstered pistol tucked away discreetly on his hip.

His expression remained stoically neutral except for narrowed icy green orbs glaring harshly at her through the dim light emanating from nearby lamps hung overhead illuminating their surroundings.

He studied her carefully, observing everything about her appearance, from the state of bruising visible on her entire upper half including both sides of her neck and shoulders; to the raw marks left scattered all over her exposed legs and wrist from the rope bound tightly around those limbs.

He noted her trembling fingers, unable to hold onto the ropes binding her too strongly, shaking visibly even more intensely than previously witnessed.

Stepping close to Sana, Baker leaned down and removed the gag tied around her mouth, freeing her momentarily from its grasp, then reached down pulling gently at the bindings securing her ankles together.

He grunted lightly as he tugged harder than necessary eliciting muffled cries of discomfort from Sana as the bonds dug into tender flesh, ripping apart slightly instead of breaking cleanly.

Finally removing the final piece of bondage holding her feet together, Baker straightened up tall over the woman, staring intently into her terrified gaze.

"Tell me…" A low gravelly growl rumbled ominously just below his breath "…are you ready to talk?" He asked sternly.

Baker stared, unblinking, waiting for the expectant answer as he watched anxiously for some sign that might indicate whether she had broken mentally yet.

"Yes! Yes, I'll Talk!!" She screamed hysterically, baring teeth clenched in anger and frustration as hot tears streamed freely down her face. "Just please don't hurt me anymore!! Please!!! Don't torture me any longer!!!! Just let me go!!!!! I promise I won't run anywhere!! I swear it!"

Relief washed over the big man's features quickly replaced by renewed determination as he nodded slowly and gave her a quick pat on the cheek reassuring her that things weren't quite finished yet...

"Good girl..." He whispered quietly as he grabbed her roughly by her hair yanking viciously upward tearing strands of her scalp loose as he dragged her head upwards exposing her chin. "...Now start telling me your secrets bitch....and be prepared to answer truthfully because If not…." There was nothing but menace lurking heavily in his tone as he trailed off meaningfully letting her imagination fill in the blanks.

"T-the..." Sana began, stumbling haltingly as she spoke, "The vault you want is located...located under Liberty Island..."

A smug smile crossed Baker's lips as he released her suddenly, stepping back and turning his attention elsewhere entirely ignoring her as she fell limply forward gasping for air in relief having escaped imminent danger.

"Do you know how to break in?" He asked jovially.

"...Yes." She gasped weakly. "I-I designed the defense system for that location."

Another smirk flashed brightly across Baker's ugly visage, pleased by her admission.

"And it's there?" Baker asked excitedly, staring at the woman with madness gleaming deeply within his emerald orbs. "The serum is hidden there, right?!"

"Y-yes..." She stuttered hesitantly, unsure if she should reveal the exact location of the radioactive modified virus concealed deep underground in a classified S.H.I.E.L.D storage vault

**********

A/n: Hey guys, I hope you are enjoying the story so far, and as always, thanks for reading!

If you like my work and want to support it, check out Patreon.com/Swarthy, where you can read early chapters or go to Paypal.me/xSwarthyx Every bit helps and is appreciated.

26