Chapter 7 **My New Position**
57 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leaving Theo behind, I walked back to my quarters, stating that I had finished my last job and to no surprise, I got given another chore. But this chore made me bite my lip…

I was to go and see the weasel and help her with some gift, well it wasn’t just me but a sudden command for quite a number of maids…

From a few gossip sessions, that I tend to only let myself be in ear shot with but not go up to the maids speaking, I have come to know that the weasel has been taking over all of the duties in the Crowned Prince’s residence in a big manner.

Before, the weasel had done it quietly, but now that I was apparently dead, she was making a big deal about it and now that she was in charge of the gifts to be given at the wedding, because she was the wife of the Crowned Prince, she had found something that seems to include work from the maids…

Dam, if only I could have worked in the outer court! Or anywhere else!

Sighing to my utter bad luck, I do as I’m told and head straight towards the weasel’s quarters and finally found myself wondering what this gift was, that needed so much help from so many maids…

 

To my utter astonishment, it was actually something that I thought was quite nice…

For the new sister in law, many precious feathers had come to make two items, and this was most of what I had to do. I was to separate the two lots of feathers and then separate them again into small and large feathers, to make a certain part of a head dress. It really was an easy task and I really did wonder why they needed so much help to do all this! But…I was happy! Having done laundry work a lot lately, this was something simple and I was even able to sit down while doing this!

Happily helping to separate the feathers, I could see how beautiful the head dress would be!

With pretty stones and interesting weaving cloth already attached, I was already anticipating what it would look like!

Ah! I can see now why they choose these specific flowers and feathers! They matched the rest of the headdress!

Seeing that the colors used were matched, I put up two feathers and fixed one of them up so it would look prettier.

Now that I notice, it wouldn’t be the big one that would be sold for more, now that I fixed the smaller feather up…

 

As I leisurely continued my job, I was suddenly cast into a shadow, which made me look up.

“You! How can someone so dirty be touching my feathers!?”

Oh…Oh…

“Get her away from here!”

Before I could even sigh to my predicament of seeing the weasel being nasty to me, I was taken by my arms and made to stand up. Being forced to walk, I wanted to curse the reasoning of looking so dirty but still could not stop myself of knowing that I needed to continue it!

I really…Needed to get away from here!

“Halt!”

“Sir?”

Looking up to see…Ah! I know him!

“Bring her to the Crowned Prince’s quarters!”

…Uh? Wait!

Why there!?

 

Turning, yet giving myself no extra strength to show that I had absolutely no enthusiasm to enter into the next place, I was nearly dragged away.

No! What if he sees me and knows who I am!?

What would happen then!?

Dammit! What do I do!?

Hang on…Why would I be going there all of a sudden anyway? Am I getting punished?

…Oh no! What if I was seen when I went to get Theo!?

Someone might have seen me, told the Crowned Prince and now…

Bowing my head down in defeat, I was truly not wanting this to happen at all!

I hadn’t even been able to have one chance at leaving to find my father and…Will this be the end of me!?

“Your Highness, I have brought her.”

Hearing that bodyguard’s voice state that we had arrived at this dreaded place, did not help me left my head…No, I was simply wondering how I was going to leave in one piece!

“Good, all of you leave!”

That voice!

 

Being let go of, I nearly fell over, but I stood up, slumping my shoulders and deeply bowing my head…I was completely defeated…

Hearing the door shut behind me, I closed my eyes, thinking that perhaps I’ll get whipped, or…Maybe he’ll make me kneel on the ground. Maybe I’d have to kneel for two days and not be able to eat or drink!

“Come here!”

That voice again!

Slowly, I made my way to him and stopped after a few steps.

“Closer!”

I flinched, then took a few more steps, closer towards him, I then stopped once again.

“Closer!”

Lifting my head up, I see him looking at me, making me quickly retract my glare, and bow my head once again.

Hearing a chuckle, I nearly lifted my head up…

What’s going on?

 

“I’ve made arrangements for you to be my personal maid. You will now no longer need to go back to the maid’s quarters, and you will stay in the east wing in my quarters and tend to me morning, noon…And night!”

Blinking, thinking that I heard wrong, I then lifted my head up slightly, “Your Highness?”

Seeing him suddenly get up, I bowed my head again and take in a deep breath.

“Did you have belongings back in the maid’s quarters?”

“Uh…” What the hell is going on? Wasn’t I supposed to get punished?

“Did you or did you not?”

Not really…Most of my personal belongings was in the Princess’s quarters…

I shook my head, willing to not bother about what was in the maid’s quarters…Especially if I was to state yes and he would see that I was attempting to escape from the palace!

In the belongings that I had, there was one particular thing that might make him mad!

“Very well, you will wear a different attire to state your status and you do not even have to take orders from the Head Mistress from now on…Instead, you take orders from me directly. Do you understand!?”

I nodded my head, “Yes, Your Highness!”

“Go and get changed, I expect you to be done before dinner is prepared!”

Putting my head to the side, wondering if I was dreaming or not, I then heard, “Hurry it up!”

 

After scurrying away from my husband…Or could I even call him that now, I found myself inside a room that had rarely been used.

It was small, but a lot better than the maid’s quarters!

The bed was a lot more comfortable, just by looking at it, and a lot warmer!

The blanket looked so good that I wanted to crawl into bed at this very instant!

There was a small cupboard space and I raised my eyebrows to see that some of it was something that I had personally suggested a while ago to the Crowned Prince.

“Scary!”

Seeing the new maid’s uniform, that I now had to wear, I took it out and immediately got into it, not bothering to wash myself at all!

I knew I could get in trouble for not cleaning myself but…Dammit, this wasn’t good!

How could I stay here, where I should be one of the cleanest maids in the palace, without him finding out who I was!?

Perhaps…Not cleaning myself would get me back to the maid’s quarters, where it was safe!

 

It was scary, thinking of this strategy, but what else could I do!?

Washing my face would make me easily recognizable!

I sat down in a defeated way and realized that I was in a bit of trouble!

“Is there a problem?”

Hearing his voice, I looked towards the door and found that familiar handsome face.

He hadn’t really changed much, maybe lost a tiny bit of weight and grown a slight beard but…

Actually, I hadn’t seen the Crowned Prince in ages and seeing him now reminded me that…The last time I had seen him this close was…

That night!

Feeling a rush of heat enter into my cheeks, I looked away and shook my head, “No, Your Highness…But…”

“What is it?”

“Perhaps another maid will fulfill these duties better then I, Your Highness.” I state, holding my heart in my chest…It was beating terribly fast and I really needed it to calm down!

Could his handsome face really have this much power!? My heart was going crazy!

 

“No.”

Hearing his answer, I look back at him and give him a pleading glance, “Your High…”

“No.”

Defeated, my shoulders slump and I hang my head once again, “Yes, Your Highness…”

Hearing a sigh, then his footsteps coming towards me, my eyes start to widen in panic…What’s he going to do!?

Seeing him take one of my hands, then start to walk away, I had no choice but to follow.

But…Even with my face bowed down as it was, I found the way we were walking towards, seems to be the direction of my old living quarters…

…Does he know!?

Why else would he bring me here, if he didn’t know that I was the real Princess!?

Oh no! Should I run!?

What do I do!?

“Some of your work will be to keep my Princess’s room clean.”

He let go of my hand and I looked up to see two rooms close to where I stood. One was my old bedroom and the other was where I could have had guests or did some other things.

“Make sure there is no dust and that the belongings do not leave this place, clean it as you deem fit.”

Turning to him, frowning, I then turned back to the rooms and asked, “As I deem fit?”

“Yes, but there isn’t to be dust, and nothing removed!”

 

Nodding, I simply state, “Yes, Your Highness!”

Suddenly, my hand was taken once again and I was then led back towards the Crowned Prince’s quarters, “Otherwise, you will be by my side, working with me. You will have to grind ink, bring me food and drink, help me dress and bathe. You will come whenever I call, and you must do whatever I tell you to do!”

Biting my lip, I continued to follow the Warmonger towards his own study place, and he let my hand go after we entered into the room.

“Is that understood?”

As I heard him sit down, I sighed and took my place in the corner…Could I really say no!?

“Understood, Your Highness!”

“Good!”

After that, it wasn’t long before dinner was ready, and we left the study to go to the Crowned Prince’s personal dining area.

Looking around, I see that the weasel wasn’t here and wondered how long he had done this for.

He used to always have meals with his wives but…Did he do this now?

 

“What are you spacing out for? Come here!”

“Oh!” Rushing over to be beside him, I take the lids of the dinner plates, practically drooling to the nice smelling fragrance, I then went to move back to get out of his way.

“Sit!” He then made me sit beside him and I flopped on the ground, sitting on my foot!

I stop myself from uttering a curse, just taking in a breath through my teeth, as I went to sit properly.

Hearing a sigh, I look over to him, only to see him looking back at me.

Uh? What’s wrong with him now?

Seeing him blink, sigh and look away again, I frown…

“Taste test them for me.”

“Uh?”

“Make sure they aren’t poisoned.”

Defeated, I wondered if this was his plan all along…Perhaps he wanted to kill me with his own dinner!

“…Yes, Your Highness.”

Taking up a spoon, I take some rice and vegetables and plop them into my mouth, relishing the fresh and tasty flavour…

I wanted to moan to how great it was!

 

“Try that too!”

“Yes, Your Highness!” I said eagerly.

Now tasting nearly everything there, I finally became aware that the Crowned Prince was reading, and I finished my last gulp of a fantastic taste testing!

“If there is nothing wrong, then you can feed me.”

Uh? What, you have no arms!?

Staring at him with a dumbfounded expression, I really was not surprised when he hit me softly on the forehead!

“Ah…Yes, Your Highness!”

And so, I fed the ‘armless’ man…

 

***

 

With my new position as the Crowned Prince’s personal maid, I could only sigh to my arrangement of leaving the palace with the help of the wedding of Lady Vixen, I mean Lady Venus, and my…I mean the Crowned Prince’s brother.

It was quite a boring episode really, seeing the process happen and trying to hide myself as much as possible.

I tried to make the best of the situation, but I found myself a bit depressed…

This was my opportunity! This was my chance!

Why…Why did the Crowned Prince suddenly ask that I serve him!?

Why couldn’t he have waited one more day!?

It wasn’t fair!

Not only was I depressed because I had lost my opportunity to get out of the palace but…My identity of the Crowned Prince’s personal maid became known and I swear a few people were talking about me!

I didn’t hear much, nor did I see anyone pointing, but I felt like I was being talked about!

With great difficulty, I continued to stand behind the Crowned Prince, waiting for the awful wedding to finish!

 

 

Beyond that, the next week was great!

I happily got into routine of helping the Warmonger wake, bathe and eat. He did not seem to show that he knew I was the Princess, nor did he expect too much from me!

Actually, I had been worried for nothing!

He read often during mealtimes, always making me feed him, but I think I’m used to it now. Well, it came known to me that the food is tested out earlier, so, it seemed like the Crowned Prince was sharing his delicious meal with me and for that, I fed him to say, ‘Thank you!’.

He doesn’t mind that I hid myself when he’s naked, waiting patiently for me to wash his back and hair, not expecting anything else when bathing. Well, once he’s taken my arms and cleaned them, but I’m just going to pretend it didn’t happen…Because why would he do that!?

Was he trying to point out that my hands and nails were dirty and that I should at least keep them clean, if I wasn’t going to clean my face?

 

Since I couldn’t figure out what he meant by cleaning my arms that one time, I didn’t put much thought into it but…It really was a long half an hour!

With his manly body there, with steam coming off the water, my hands nice and warm…Then, my arms were nice and clean, and he even used a cloth himself to dry them…Ah…I had to wipe my drool of my face!

Shaking my head, I tried to get out of my daydreaming!

He also doesn’t make me stand there all the time, letting me sit and even read a book from time to time…It was good!

For some reason, he even tends to start conversations with me as well…

I was just a maid, why would he want to talk to me so much!

On the third day, of picking a book from one of his shelves, the Warmonger had shaken his head and took it away from me, saying, “I think this one is too hard for you to understand.”

I had taken the book back and had snorted at him, “I can read!”

“Did I say you couldn’t read?”

 

I think I tried to think it through, as my response had been, “No.”

“I said that it would be too hard for you to understand.”

I shrugged, “So what! Even if I don’t understand it, are you telling me I can’t read it!?”

Having seen him raise his eyebrows at me, I had glared at him, “What!?”

He gave out a smirk, making me extremely frustrated, and he just walked away…

Crazy, he’s crazy!

…But what I hadn’t expected, was that he would question me about the book and then I had found out how much I had missed!

I wasn’t too knowledgeable in some things and he made me think that I was incredibly stupid!

After he quizzed me, I ended up folding my hands to my chest and not answering him anymore!

I was mad!

 

“I told you that you would have trouble understanding it…”

He had sighed then and suddenly brought me over to be closer to him, making me yelp in surprise!

“Here, it states that ‘To each one’s duty, there is a way to respect.’ It means that we can connect to our people through what they do, and that can be one way on how we can respect them. For a merchant, for instance, they help with the countries trades and in certain ways are able to gain a certain trust with others from other towns, and we, as the royal family, can only see that merchants are something we should respect because of that. It doesn’t mean that respect can’t be found elsewhere but one-way of finding respect can be found through what people do as a living.”

I thought about my father and wondered if the royal family really did respect him…Then, I slouched, still not knowing what happened to him…

It had been so long, and Theo was no longer looking for him. Even though I had brought Theo back to the Princess’s location to find him once again, I still had not let him go to search for my father yet.

“You miss your father?”

His voice had interrupted my thoughts, and I remember unconsciously nodding.

“I dare say that there is a high chance that you will see your father again, don’t be upset.”

Thinking back to it now, I really do wonder if he knows my father somehow…Or was the Warmonger just trying to be nice?

2