Chapter 96
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Sad news for all of us. Rico's father has passed away."

The living room where the meeting of the community always holds suddenly turns silent as Mr. Michael reports that shocking news. Mr. Michael adds, "After previously being treated in the ICU, finally he can't be helped anymore. Rico's father passed away this afternoon. We are in the process of helping to prepare for the burial ceremony. Tomorrow, we can go to the funeral home to bid farewell to Rico's father, as well as provide physical and moral support to the bereaved families."

Damien immediately responds, "If you need something, just mention it, Sir. We'll do our best to fulfill it." The others also nod in agreement.

"You guys are the real good friends," Mr. Michael replies. "I am so proud of the cohesiveness of our community."

Hence, all community members visit together to the funeral home where the remains of Rico's father are put for a while until the burial ceremony is held. Daphne is also going with them. As for Rico, he can take care of his father's funeral because he has distant relatives in Emerald. But the funeral home he can get is far from the word 'luxury'; it is small, dismal and even looks shabby.

"Well... we are the refugees after all. We don't have enough money to rent a more proper funeral home," Rico utters gloomily.

Mr. Michael taps him on the shoulder. "Dude, what's the point of an overly lavish funeral? In the end, the remains himself doesn't even know what kind of funeral the living organisms give him."

Rico just curves a slight smile in return.

Everyone in the community come to the funeral. They donate a lot of help to Rico and his family.

"We may not be able to give too much help, but please accept this. At least, these are the gifts we donate based on our deepest sincerity," Damien says seriously.

Rico smiles. "I am really supposed to thank all of you. Becoming a refugee, and now I suffer from this disaster, I have rubbed salt into the wound. But because of you, I feel so grateful. I even feel, I am not in Emerald - I am still staying in Sapphire."

"That's what brothers and sisters are for, Rico. To help each other when somebody is in need."

Rico also has a conversation with Daphne.

"Ah... sorry, Daphne. My dad can't give you the information you need," says Rico.

"Don't say such kind of sentences, Rico. I don't really want that information." Daphne quickly replies. "My Dad has died, after all. Mourning about it will only bring up the wounds of the past." And, if the news I am about to hear isn't as good as I thought... it'll ruin my relationship with Stairmount instead. Maybe this is God's will, so that my relationship with Stairmount keeps running smoothly, until the end of all this.

Copyright ©️ by boundless_universe 

Daphne gazes at the photo of Rico's father, which is plastered on the front of his tombstone. There is one thing she envies about Rico - at least Rico can get his father's remains in complete condition, and the reason for his death is clear as well. Contrary to her, she herself doesn't have any clear point about the death of his own father, even until now. That's why she almost went crazy when she suddenly accepted that tragic fate.

"Dad has passed away?!" Daphne screamed aloud. "Impossible! Dad called me just three days ago. Dad mustn't die!"

Daphne screamed hysterically as she heard the news for the first time. Her mother had to hold her so tightly to prevent her from going berserk. "Mom, why didn't you ask them clearly about the reason why Dad died?! You should have asked them clearly! You can't take it for granted!"

"Daphne..." Mrs. Yalle couldn't help but be silent. The middle-aged woman then did the funeral arrangement for her husband all in silence.

However, even if his father really died under unnatural circumstances, and there are indeed some parties who are at fault and must be responsible for it, will it be able to bring his father back to life? That's what her mother always says... but Daphne knows, even though Mrs. Yalle is seemingly willing to let her husband go to Heaven, but her inner voice actually speaks for the contrary. She knows about it crystal clear. However, she also knows, the reason why her mother struggles to stay strong, is to set an example for her, and to follow that rough, bitter footsteps.

The reality Rico is dealing with, is actually more or less similar to hers. His father also died in injustice. The culprit is the mafia who hit him, but the one who died is his father. But Rico and his family have no power to sue the mafia because they are refugees. Their money is not enough to pay for a lawyer and win a court case against the mafia who has a lot of money from dirty work.

Perhaps, it is the same with her father. Perhaps, this is the reason why her mother doesn't want to prolong the case. It turns out that they have lost money or power against that party, so her mother is willing to choose this way even though she has to swallow the bitter pill.

Don't bring up the past that only leads to regret and revenge. Let bygones be bygones. Whoever must go, let him go. And those who are still alive, live this life firmly and set your sights not to the back, but to look forwards.

Daphne keeps gazing at the photo of Rico's father. "Goodbye... Sir. May God grant you His most beautiful place in Heaven."

Copyright ©️ by boundless_universe 

0