Chapter 98
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The cyber monitor screen is now changing to another news. Daphne knows, she can't stay there and wastes time dwelling on a blank screen just to satisfy her gloomy depression. Finally, she lifts her feet which feel as heavy as the boulder.

Their walk turns dim. Payneth isn't comfortable talking to Daphne, and Daphne suddenly isn't in the mood to chat. Her previous chill mood has completely vanished. So, they continue their way in silence. Having walked without any conversation turns out to make the feet step faster. In a flash, they have arrived at a luxurious residential area.

"My house is in this area." After being able to adjust her mood to be better, Daphne decides to open her mouth to speak. She knows it actually, it is neither Payneth who orders the attack, nor is Payneth the one who destroys his house, so she shouldn't be angry with Payneth.

Copyright ©️ by boundless_universe

Finding that Daphne has been back to normal and being kind to her, Payneth nods. "Nice neighborhood." A moment later, she twinkles her eyes with a witty smile. "Stairmount Rivers must really love you, huh."

"Ah... that..." Daphne feels her cheeks turn red. "Eh... wait!... How do you know this is his favor?! I rent it by myself, you know?!..."

"Well, well. Such a beautiful woman like you, all men would be willing to do anything to get your heart. And I am certain, for Rivers that high-class man, it would be easy just to help you to live in such kind of residential area." Payneth's confident words let Daphne feel her cheeks turn hot. "Ah, your behavior reminds me of the moment when I was your age. The moments when I was getting infatuated in love."

Payneth's words ignite Daphne to ask, "Miss Payneth, have you got married?"

"Yes, I have."

"May I know, does your husband also work as an intelligence officer?" They have entered the complex, and are now walking in a deserted garden, no one but the two of them is there.

"Yes."

"Wow, amazing. The intelligence couple." If I marry Stairmount, he is of high status and I am a refugee, Stairmount can't be proud of me like Payneth's husband is proud of his wife. I will let Stairmount be ashamed of me...

"But we have been divorced."

"Divorced? Why?"

"Separated by the Angel of Death." The cold night wind blows, ruffling Payneth's hair into a mess. "At that time, he was assigned to one of the countries on the Aurora Continent which was chaotic due to civil war. You know, he is different from Stairmount Rivers who only works in the medical field, his job is much more dangerous. He must enter into the battlefield and fight against the enemy. And, on that deadly afternoon, he who usually survived, suddenly met his end. Militia soldiers shot him dead."

Payneth's eyes turn gloomy of a sudden, it makes Daphne's mind be filled with guilt since she has asked something which has hurt Payneth. "Sorry... I am really sorry..."

"It's okay. As intelligence, as the military, we have been very clear that this is the consequence we have to bear. So I am not depressed about it. Was I sad? Yes. But only for a moment. We can't spend life just to be sad."

"Well, I agree with you..." Daphne replies. "But, you said earlier, Stairmount is different from your husband. But, do you know? In fact, he also steps down a very dangerous path. When I heard that he was injecting Ramscal Pathogen into his body, and when he didn't pick up my calls whereas he would always say hello to me every day, you know, I was almost going crazy. I am so scared, that he will die."

"Well... it's true. No matter what kind of work you are doing, there's always a consequence for it. In fact, we all face similar severe consequences - unpredictable death. And we have to be prepared for it."

Daphne nods slowly.

Suddenly Payneth's steps stop. She looked tense. Confused, Daphne asks, "What's wrong..."

Copyright ©️ by boundless_universe 

0