4.
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Volan lay unconscious in his room, Gael was riding shotgun in an armored personnel carrier. His arms were crossed with one hand impatiently tapping its fingers on his metal vambrace. While no one could see the scowl across his face beneath his helmet, the red of his faceguard felt more intimidating than usual tonight. It put everyone, save two, on edge as they silently rode along one of the major highways to their destination.

However, one of the newly anointed Flameguards riding along didn’t know why the air was so tense. He’d only joined the Flameguard within the last six months and didn’t know all the minutiae that came with the job.

The Rookie, Ensign Mallos Elk, whispered, “Anyone know why the Sword-Captain’s on edge tonight?”

Lieutenant Rilnith Mustang, responded, “You don’t know? The King called him back in today.”

Mallos raised an eyebrow under his helmet. He’d never seen his Sword-Captain in such a fowl mood over something that was normal for the rest of them. Sure, he’d seen the Sword-Captain get annoyed at a prideful Flameguard that belonged to either of the Noble Houses before putting them in their place. Or even when stuck in the midst of dissension because of differing social classes, the Sword-Captain was always in a pleasant and smiley mood as he kept everyone in line. But this time. This was a different side of his Sword-Captain that Mallos hadn’t seen before.

Mallos asked, “But that’s part of the job, isn’t it? We don’t really get days off, just days where we’re on call, right?”

Commander Testris Lionbreaker spoke up, bluntly addressing the matter, “Hah! No need to whisper, you two. Sword-Captain was just called back on his son’s birthday. Ain’t that right?”

Gael grunted defiantly and rolled his head.

Testris chuckled through the mic in his helmet, “The Sword-Captain cut a deal with the King a long time back. He’d always get to see his son on either of their birthdays, and he’d work every other day of the year without complaint.”

Mallos was stunned, “That’s a hell of a deal to cut.”

The one driving the APC, Major Iker Gear, chimed in, “Yep. And it’s one the Sword-Captain’s upheld for the last sixteen years. Not many know about it outside of those who were present when it was granted, but it’s not some big secret or anything.”

Gael cut in, “Oh shut it.”

Testris only continued, using praise to tease his commanding officer, “Ain’t a sacrifice many of us could make. Everyone knew the Sword-Captain was strong, but it wasn’t until that happened that many of us truly respected him. You think you could handle working near every day Lieutenant?”

Rilnith pointed to himself with a finger, “Me? Hell no. I don’t mind being on call during the holidays, but three-hundred-plus days a year is too damned much for me.” He flipped the question on Mallos, “What about you, Rookie? Think you could handle it?”

Mallos responded,  “No. Not me. It’s hard enough getting a proper night’s rest when we’re left on-call. Most of the Flameguard would probably go insane working that much.”

Iker added, “A few certainly tried.”

Rilnith asked, “Oh? Any of them even get close?”

Testris laughed, “Flame, no! Most of them wound up falling asleep the moment they sat down in a chair after a week. Best attempt so far was one Old House Noble who made it three months out of sheer spite.”

Iker recalled, “Oh, right! Him!”

Mallos asked, “He hated the Sword-Captain that much?”

Iker responded, “You’d be surprised to see how many in our ranks have tried to stick it to the Sword-Captain.”

Testris asked, “Wasn’t he found asleep and face first in his lunch in the mess hall?”

Rilnith remembered now, “Ah, yes! Good ol’ Oat Face! Pretty sure he stopped openly boasting after that.”

The pleasant banter helped Gael with his mood. He even let out a short chortle. Iker looked at him for a moment, glad to see his Sword-Captain in an improved mood. However, the banter had to come to a close as the APC approached an active investigation site. They were a good 12 kilometers outside the city now and were checking in on an area below a major highway overpass

 It was an area of contention as several homeless people had set up makeshift homes and shelters. Many were built out of old camping RVs the owners couldn’t afford to maintain anymore, or large cars stuck in the same situation. Some had managed to find or purchase materials for building better housing, but it was still makeshift regardless.

On approach, Iker and Gael could see the flashing red and blue lights of the City Guard’s patrol vehicles keeping the area cordoned off. Upon approach, the guardsmen keeping the road closed moved to the side and allowed them in.

Gael turned in his seat and called to the three in back, “Alright, we’re approaching the area. Look alive, Flames.”

Everyone responded, “Yes, sir!”

Moments later, the APC came to a halt and the doors swung open. Everyone hopped out and shut the doors as they left. The armor they wore, as compared to their uniforms, was very reminiscent of an era long since past. They looked like knights who had modernized their armor a bit. Atop their chest was a sturdy breastplate, and pauldrons decorated their shoulders. On their forearms were reinforced vambraces and full helmets protected their heads.

Different stylizing of the armor differentiated the ranks between each Flameguard. As Sword-Captain, Gael’s armor was much more angular. His pauldrons were double-layered and his helmet had a red faceplate. While it looked like he couldn’t see out of it, developments in crystal-tech had made it possible to have this kind of gear both look intimidating and remain fully functional.

At Gael’s hip was a longsword every Sword-Captain had used before him, but there was also a second one. The other one, resting beside his honorary sword, was a weapon given to him as a gift from the Republic. It was one of their strongest crystal-blades ever created, and it was given to Gael as a symbol of peace between the two nations. Gael accepted it, as he understood the meaning behind it, but how it felt in his hands always bothered him. While he would use it, he could never fight at 100% with it in his hands.

Next was Major Iker. His armor was a lot more regal and less intimidating, but just as effective. Where the Sword-Captain had red, he wore a lot more blue. The expected amount of gold trim adorned him, but he wasn’t like the Sword-Captain. Where Gael stood on the front lines as the squad’s Tank, he would be in the back. Crystal-rifle in hand, Major Iker performed long-range reconnaissance as well as made sure threats were put down.

Then there was Lieutenant Rilnith and Ensign Mallos. They wore the standard issue Flameguard attire. It was similar to both the Sword-Captain’s and Major’s, but you could tell at a glance who was higher up in rank. Rilnith had a crystal-enhanced shortbow as he handled closer-range engagements on the frontlines with Gael, and Mallos had a pair of enchanted maces to crush any armor an enemy had.

Last but not least is Commander Testris. Testris wasn’t human like everyone else present. Rather, he was a minotaur and stood a good 30 centimeters taller than Gael. He had a more modern appearance compared to his knight-like squadmates with much more cloth than metal. His helmet with a red visor, protruding horns, and tall height made most fear him on sight, Testris didn’t use a weapon most others expected. Rather than a heavy or big weapon, he used a staff. Testris was the squad’s Synergist, but also their magical explosives expert. So when the Flameguard needed something to go boom, he made sure it did.

In addition to all this, Gael had everyone carry two pieces of “old gear”. Old gear are armaments that had become obsolete with the introduction of crystal-tech weapons. Firearms had once been the go-to weapons of Zekanto’s military, but the Republic had discovered new ways to utilize elemental crystals. And new weaponry was one of the first things invested in. Eventually, almost all firearms in both nations had been replaced by crystal-tech.

Firearms were still around and could be purchased, but they’d become very heavily restricted and were much more of a collector’s or enthusiast’s item. But Gael wanted to make sure his men always had a contingency plan. Because of this, he made sure every Flameguard also carried a USP .45 and combat knife on them at all times when out in the field.

As everyone quickly checked their gear, Gael made his way further into the investigation site and his squad followed suit. It wasn’t long before he met the detectives in charge of what was going on. Upon seeing the Sword-Captain, she addressed him.

“Sword-Captain Roltand, good to see you this evening.” The two shook hands and she introduced herself, “I’m Detective Seomun Hwa-Young. The gentleman to my right is Detective Lais Hasan. We’re honored to be working with you.”

Seomun looked younger than she actually was. Most people guessed she was around 23 or 24, but she’d been around for a while and seen her fair share of things. Her hair was black, eyes were pale blue, and skin was comparable to snow. Seomun’s partner, Lais, had a dark tan to his skin and a scar on his left cheek. His hair was black and was held back with so much hair product it looked greasy. His eyes were a piercing brown and he wore a serious look on his face at all times. Lais was Seomun’s junior, though the difference in height often caused some confusion given he was 190 centimeters tall, and she was 163.

Gael replied, “Understood. With me is Commander Lionbreaker, Major Gear, Lieutenant Mustang, and Ensign Elk. What’s the current situation?”

Seomun elaborated, “We’ll explain once further into the scene. Follow after us.”

The seven started walked further in and witnessed the devastation. What makeshift homes had been made out of vehicles and strewn together materials were but rubble and scrap now. Bodies lie strewn about on the ground; mostly in pieces. No one could tell who the “lucky” victims were here. Those who bled to death? Or those that couldn’t be identified at all?

Gael asked, “What happened here? It looks like a tornado came through here and tore everything up, not a monster like I’d been led to believe.”

Lais replied, “No one would blame you for thinking that, Sword-Captain. It’s hard for us to believe that this was done by any living thing as well, but unfortunately it was.”

Hwa-Young continued for her junior, “Guessing you can see why you were called in on this, Sword-Captain.”

They stopped beside one of the more intact corpses. Immediately, Iker took a knee to get a better look at it.

Gael asked, “See anything, Major?”

Iker replied, “Well, this damage wasn’t done by any conventional weapon I know of. Not even bullets can leave gouge marks like that.”

The corpse had three deep gashes in its back that pierced all the way through the torso. It was as if someone impaled the body thrice with sharpened rods about 5 cm in diameter, then ripped off an arm for good measure. To describe this as “overkill” was an understatement.

Iker asked, “You got any ideas, Commander?”

Testris chortled, “I can’t think of anything that could do that kind of damage. It’d be a hell of a feat to even see a minotaur do anything close, let alone a weapon. An Ursa or two might be able to, but even then that’s really reaching for an answer.”

Lais added, “We’ve also been unable to find any kind of weapon in the area that could’ve inflicted the wounds. So either it was taken with the perp, or destroyed. We’ve yet to find any evidence of the latter, but our dogs are on the hunt for anything of use within a two kilometer radius.”

Gael chuckled, “Seems you’ve got a good partner, Detective Hwa-Young.”

She rolled her eyes at the praise.

Gael turned to his squad, “Alright. Spread out and search for anything of use, but keep an eye out for anything that moves. It’s likely whatever did this is gone, but we can all tell this situation is abnormal. The moment you find something, report it in.”

The four replied, “Yes, Sword-Captain.”

With that, they dispersed. Iker, rifle in hand, posted himself as high up as he could get to scan the area while Testris patrolled the North side of a nearby creek with Rilnith and Mallos. Gael remained with the detectives as they picked apart the scene. He was to protect them in case things went FUBAR.

For a while, there isn’t much to go off of, yet the horrors only got worse. A couple who were trapped mid love making inside their RV had been crushed to death by whatever attacked. Its “hands” had collapsed the ceiling of the vehicle before hammering it down and crushing everything inside. However, there were strange claw marks left on the roof to suggest the monster couldn’t close its hands.

In another area, they found a “family” of three people who’d been torn to pieces, but not at the joints. Instead, they’d been hacked apart. Given there were lots of scratches and claw marks around the area, it was probable that the monster had used its claws to sever these people into fresh cuts of human flesh. But no animal, no matter how monstrous, could do something like that given present knowledge on the region’s fauna.

But no matter how many destroyed vehicles or homes they checked, there wasn’t anything more than scratches, claw marks, and disemboweled corpses. Taking a break from the carnage, Gael put his left hand to his temple and asked for an update.

 “Anyone find anything?”

Testris replied, “Nope. Just more blood and guts.”

Gael asked Iker next, “See anything up there, Major?”

Iker answered, “Nothing that looks like a monster, but I’m spotting something strange near the creek. It’s southwest of your position, Commander.”

Testris understood, “Copy that, Major. We’ll start heading that way. Cover us if anything shows itself.”

Iker agreed, “Roger.”

Gael shares that Iker’s seen something with the Detectives.

 “Seems the Major spotted something. Commander Lionbreaker is checking it out now with the Lieutenant and Ensign.”

The detectives nodded, but Gael wanted to try and get a better idea of the situation.

Gael asked, “So, the City Guard got any ideas on what this thing could be with what’s been found so far?”

Lais answered, “We’re just as stumped as you, Sword-Captain. However, it may be connected to something bigger.”

Gael was surprised, “Oh?”

Seomun explained, “There’ve been strange disappearances and murders going on in the dark all over the place lately. We assumed it to be the work of a serial killer at first, but then the bodies started to turn up like what you’ve seen tonight, Sword-Captain. Right now, the working theory is that whatever we’re looking for has been the cause and this won’t be the worst of it.”

Gael asked, “Well. Seems you’ve got some dots connected then, but nothing on what it looks like. Either of you hazard a guess on that front?”

Lais answered, “That is definitely the question on everyone’s mind. We’ve found evidence of something large and sharp being carried by the thing, but I’m starting to think the weapon is actually part of the monster.”

Gael raised an eyebrow, “So you’re saying that this thing has some large and sharp thing as part of its body?”

Seomun replied, “For right now, yes. You’ve seen the carnage, Sword-Captain. I don’t think there’s anything, natural or synthetic,  that can inflict wounds like those and keep hidden so easily. Somehow, the killer doesn’t leave any obvious blood trail and the K-9s always lose its scent. All conventional means of tracking have wound up hitting dead ends. So it’s not an exaggeration to call what we’re looking for a ‘monster’.”

Gael’s radio went off as Testris reported in, “Sword-Captain… we’ve found something.

The detectives’ and Gael’s ears all perked up at the news. Immediately they moved to where Testris, Rilnith, and Mallos were. And along the way they were stunned by what they saw. On the ground were human sized footprints emerging out of much larger three-toed ones. Then there were bits of writhing and wriggling flesh with tendrils reaching out to the sky as they slowly disintegrated. 

But all of that paled in comparison to what they saw when the three got to where Testris, Rilnith, and Mallos were. Malls had a flashlight up and shining down a fairly large pipe that led into the sewers of the city. Resting atop one of the grates was a giant, skinless arm made of mismatched muscles and tendons. Bits of bone stuck out of it, but nothing compared to the claws it had for fingers.

On its “hand” were three giant claws, each one a good meter or so long as blood dripped off them. This was the murder weapon, and everyone knew it. But the thought racing through all of their minds at the same time was, “Where’s the rest of it?” And as they stared, it had already begun to rapidly disintegrate. The flesh sloughing off in chunks as it was quickly collapsing under its own weight. It was as if the abominable mound of flesh knew it wasn’t normal and was trying to disappear as quickly as possible.

They all stood in silence trying to process what was before them. Then Detective Hwa-Young spoke the second thought in everyone’s mind.

She asked, “What the fuck?”

0