Volume 1—Snake Reincarnation: Rise of a Nation—Chapter 7: Shadow Woman
182 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I thought that my death was imminent. Instead, I found myself staring up at the night sky.

I'm lying here wondering how I went from falling to my impending doom to staring at a sky full of stars.

I must be hallucinating!

A sound that resembled a laugh startles me. I sat up and peered at the looming shadow peeking from behind a tree.

"Who's there!?" I call out to the figure.

Was it someone here trying to kill me?

"You don't need to know, child," The voice spoke clearly. It held no tone that made it possible to identify one's gender.

A dark, formless being; floated from behind the tree, "you're smaller than I imagined," it spoke.

I must be seeing and hearing things, "yeah, I don't think so." I say while turning and heading in a different direction.

Ghosts happen to be one thing I hate more than anything else. Being able to see and hear one was terrifying enough.

I know that ghosts don't exist in the modern world, but it's different in this world. It must not be a good thing!

"I'm not a ghost!" It yells fiercely.

I slithered in the other direction faster than before. That's what all ghosts say before possessing a person's body. I won't care to listen!

Before I knew what was happening, I found myself right back where I started. I'm not sure how, but every time I try to go too far, I end up with the same tree from before.

It must be the trick of that damned ghost.

"I'm telling you, I'm not a ghost!" It appeared before me, catching me off guard.

I yelp loudly from the shock, "don't come close!" I cry.

The shadow may be hearing my thoughts since it said it wasn't a ghost twice after I thought it.

"For a snake, you're annoying. Listen, I don't have time for this! I didn't bring you here to play around!" it snapped.

What does it mean by it didn't bring me here? Wait, "don't tell me...are you the voice from earlier?" I asked.

"That's right! It took a lot of power and interference, but I finally got through to someone." It floated closer to me.

I leaned back with a scrunched-up face, "look here, I'm not sure what this is about, but can you not come so close?" I asked.

The ghost thingy floated back a bit, "it's about inheritance. I need someone with the future to become something great to take over my will. My voice led me to you. Although, I did not expect a white mamba with an odd aura."

I think I got the gist of what this ghost guy was saying, but I doubt I wanted any part of its plans. The ghost suddenly seemed annoyed, "I'm not a....you know what...It's better to prove it than waste my breath."

Before I knew what it had in mind, I noticed the change in my shadow's shape. If I could scream right now, I'm sure the whole world would hear it.

When my shadow went back to normal, the black form appeared again. It was almost like a shadow.

"Correct! I am my shadow, and my original body lies over there," it says while looking east.

It was the first time I looked at my surroundings, so I noticed the see-through casing standing in the middle of the ground.

I even noticed the old lady sleeping inside.

"Is that...a dead person?" I asked with a slight shiver.

"You can say that, in a way, I guess I am dead. I was put under a curse preventing me an everlasting peace. So, yeah." the shadow spoke.

I frowned, "doesn't that make you a ghost, then?" I asked.

"Don't be stupid, of course not. Ghosts are weak monsters, but I'm a powerful being with extraordinary abilities." the shadow says with pride.

I didn't understand why something that claimed to be powerful would need the help of an insignificant snake such as myself.

"It's because I have weakened that I had called for you."

I scowl, "don't read my mind!"

"My bad, it's a bit hard not to focus on your thoughts since I can't control my abilities all that well." the shadow admits.

Was she why I couldn't get a hold of Leo?

"Leo? Who's that?"

I ignored the shadow's question, "instead of asking that, why don't you tell me why you brought me here?"

"It's simple! I want you to eat me."

I felt stumped, "say that again?" I asked in horror.

"Eat me. The body over there is long out of time. To pass on my heritage, I need someone with a bright future like yours to take on my will," she explains.

"Look, I know I'm a snake monster, but that's too much. I refuse," I strongly rejected.

The shadow didn't seem to be listening to me, "use your ability to open wide and swallow me whole. My will should pass on to you. Since you are still weak, the abilities I have will grow along with your growth."

I mean, this is crazy! I can't believe she's serious about me eating her body!

 

8