Chapter 10 – How did things end like this?
360 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Wilson perspective)

“How troublesome”

It was what I said after blocking the phone call. First the call from my daughter, all upset, then the call from my sister demanding explanations and, as if that were not enough, I received the call from my wife asking me that this time I should take my daughter's side and support her in a situation that It was still not very clear to me.

'Rafael, what the hell did you do?'

From what little I heard, Rafael had jeopardized the group's safety by a negligent act after placing himself in a compromising situation.

I had to drop what I was doing and leave my office to go to the guild building where my daughter, sister, and wife were waiting for me.

Once I got into the car, I specified to the driver where he should take me, on the other hand, I called Rafael's number and once he answered the call, I began to ask him what exactly had happened.

I was a bit taken aback by the fact that his answer was 'Nothing' when I asked him what he had done, but when I asked him to explain everything that had happened inside the dungeon I was even more taken aback...

Rafael told me everything without major complications, supposedly he had the situation under control until my niece thought she was in danger and decided to act. It's normal to want to help fellow party members, but not to the point of risking your own safety for someone you barely know.

And I'm completely sure that they didn't know each other before that, but I guess it's something that the guys themselves have to solve, there's no point in getting into those issues anymore because the important thing is that nobody got hurt and a mana depletion can have it, anyone, even training. For all that remains, it's a big misunderstanding, now...

This was something that was going to happen sooner or later and in fact, it was better than expected because now I can know what kind of friends my daughter has...

With an identification card that will adapt to an approximate rank according to your age and not one approximate to your Real Rank. In addition, it is the best method to help you incorporate it into society.

I was also not disappointed with how the boy managed to cope, it was more what I was expecting.

Having spent approximately 20 minutes traveling by car, I had finally arrived at the guild building, and I walked towards the room where my family was.

It was just when I got to the door that I realized that someone was already waiting for me and from what I see, it must be a building worker.

“Duke Milano, the guild master has ordered me that when you arrive, I will inform you that he will be waiting for you in his office, he has an important matter to discuss with you”

"Well, I'll be over to your office in a few moments."

This is a very strange thing but I gave him a short answer, the worker bowed and left, while I proceeded to enter the room.

It didn't take long to visualize who was in the room, my daughter was the first to react as she approached me, my niece was lying on a bed and she was already awake, my sister was sitting next to her daughter and next to her there was the standing boy who almost always accompanies my niece.

"Dad, you're finally here, I understand that boy is your protégé, but that doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants"

Although I had perfectly heard my daughter's words, my eyes were fixed on a certain green-haired boy who was talking to my wife.

Leaving my daughter aside without giving her an answer, I walked directly towards where my wife and the boy were. My wife who noticed my arrival smiled at me.

“Honey, it's good that you're here. Look, I present to you this boy, his name is Nick and the one who has been helping our daughter, he is quite polite”

The boy looks like he trembled a little at the sight of me, but he smiled and bowed briefly.

"It is an honor to be able to meet you, Duke Wilson Milano, I guarantee that I will support your daughter with everything she needs"

So this is Nick...

“I don't think you have what it takes to support my daughter”

He had only said that and the air went cold all over, an awkward silence taking over the entire room. My wife came to my side holding on to my arm and trying to ease the awkward air.

“Wilson…aren't you being too rude? He's been friends with your daughter for some time and he's quite talented."

My eyebrows started to go up, I was pretty calm because I knew what was going on here. However, I have been accommodating enough to allow this.

“Honey, if this guy had come forward at least a few months ago, I would have even welcomed him back, but instead he hid and waited until someone had a 'problem' with me to introduce himself as my benefactor. And now that I have him in front of me, the only thing I can see in him is the eyes of a coward who can't even stop trembling right now, and on second thought, I think it's better if he leaves… now…”

My wife put on a bitter smile, I knew she was right. The boy bowed shakily and gave a brief apology before leaving rather quickly.

"Potato…"

My daughter has quite a complicated face, it hurts me a little to see her like this, but I can't let this go. On the other hand, since I remember...

"I'm sorry Veronica, by the way, where is Rafael?"

Looking around me, he was the only one I couldn't find.

Almost everyone except Maria frowned, but even she had a complicated expression.

My daughter responded quite dismayed.

"Some guild authorities took him away, during the routine inspection that is done when returning from the dungeon, it seems they found some anomalies on his body"

My expression automatically hardened upon hearing that.

“Anomalies?”

"He's a person without a mana core."

My daughter responded with an accusing tone as everyone in the room turned their eyes in my direction.

So that's why the guild master wanted to talk to me...

Seeing that I didn't say anything, my wife asked me a question.

"Wilson, can we know where that boy came from?"

Well, I never thought of hiding it from my family, however...

"Don't worry, I'll tell you a bit about his situation once we're home, but before that, there's something I'd like to confirm. Can you wait outside, boy?

A rather confused Robert nods his head before leaving.

I moved and stood in front of my sister who was sitting next to my niece.

"Niece, how do you feel?"

Maria seemed quite embarrassed by everything that had happened.

"I'm fine man, I'm sorry I caused you trouble"

I gave the girl a reassuring smile and crossed my arms.

“Don't worry, I was aware that there was a possibility of something like this happening. In fact, I'm glad you're okay."

My sister who was listening to that started to get angry.

“Wilson, what the hell is going on? How did you know this would happen?!”

Ugh, I think I stepped on a landmine, let's see...

"Calm down Lara, what I mean is that they might have misunderstood Rafael's strength because of the fact that he doesn't use mana, there wasn't really a danger..."

“How do you want me to calm down Wilson? My daughter fainted during the fight and you only know how to talk about the fool who provoked it "

Closing my mouth with those words, it's just too complicated to get out of this situation. However, when all seemed lost...

“Mom, Rafael is not a fool, if my uncle says he is strong, then it is my fault for panicking, I was just afraid that…”

Stopping herself from what she was going to say, Maria turned her head away so we wouldn't see her.

Wait… are your ears red? what the hell?

Not even a second passed when Lara grabbed my tie and started pulling it very hard until we were face to face followed by a cold sweat running down my back. This is not good, I can almost see the fire in his eyes...

"Listen to me, I need you to go find that bastard and bring him here, I have to ask him what he did to my daughter"

I don't know how things ended like this, but that definitely made the situation worse, I turn to ask for help, but my wife and daughter look at us with expressions of disbelief, this is bad, very bad...

"Sister... it's fine... you'll meet him later, but please, just calm down."

After a plea, without changing her expression, Lara released me.

"I hope so Wilson, I hope so..."

After telling me that, she sat back down as my wife and daughter came over to her.

Without expecting anything, I left that room and that dangerous situation.

On the other hand, Rafael boy, I'm sorry, but I think I sold you...

Now, it's time for me to hurry up to speak with the guild master and arriving at his office, knock on the door.

"Ahead"

A rather older voice was heard from the other side of the door.

When I entered the office, I could see a man with quite a few gray hairs working at his desk. He stopped what he was doing to motion for me to take a seat when he saw me come in, so I politely took a seat.

And on top of that, he had a few stacked folders which he then grabs one by one, arranging them in order so I can see them as he talks.

"Wilson… that boy who registered with a false identification a few days ago is a real surprise, he has no last name or family, his origin is totally unknown, his appearance is nothing less than unique, and to top it off, during a routine inspection it was discovered that not only does he lack mana, but he also has traces of demonic energy within his body, he is not a contractor because otherwise, his mana would indicate obvious corruption and well… he has no mana, and he is not a demon either both because of his physical appearance and because of his… Again, lack of mana. Can you explain to me how I should assimilate this?

I guess nothing escapes this old man, he even took the time to investigate it.

"I'm sorry Maximus, my intention was never to offend you in any way, the boy has nothing to do with those demons, he has grown up under my strict supervision so you can consider him a normal person"

"Normal? Does that seem normal to you?”

He answered me without losing his calm while pointing to the television where Rafael could be seen in an interrogation room, he continued speaking.

“I will explain my situation, we have been having problems for a few months with a series of attacks by demons inside the dungeons, no one has been able to solve the mystery of how they are sneaking in or what they are looking for”

Later

“What is certain is that our workforce has suffered considerable losses not to mention outside pressure from royalty and those stupid republic guilds, and then there's this… a 'human' with no mana, but plenty of demonic energy. inside your body. If I didn't know you, I'd say that you're helping the demons sneak in, now... it's up to you to explain your situation."

I could only sigh with a frown both because of the surprises I have had today and because of the frustration of this news.

What the hell have we been missing?

10