Chapter 4: Repercussions of Magic
883 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4:

Repercussions of Magic

Radiance, Balek's nightclub. Jace's head pounded as he watched its floors. Balek had warned him, and as always, he was right. Overdoing it with the fixer caused him some backlash. Yet, they knew about his mother. Something he kept protected. It's the reason they kept stiffing him.

They knew he was desperate and took advantage. Always taking cuts off of what they were supposed to pay him. Usually, you don't mess with fixers, but even fixers knew you shouldn't fuck with your runners. "Damn arrogance..."

Yet, he couldn't complain too much, they got him a good job this time. Made just enough to pay for his mother's hospital fees, and with two days to spare. He should be able to relax, but as always, he was on his toes. He never knew when the next cost would come. He had to keep working.

So, even as his head killed him, he listened to some sweet, soothing music that blocked out the clubs own chaotic noise. His eyes scanning from on high. An overlay of light blue on everything. Sensing for any danger. It was a strain, but one that paid at least enough for a place to stay.

"Back corner," Jace spoke into the wristwatch-like device he had, "Guy's getting a bit too handsy. Hannah's already smacked them twice."

"Got it," A gruff voice came through as I saw two large bouncers make their way through the crowd towards the table.

They put on a tough act, but before those two, the handsy group got ousted from the club. It wasn't the best, but it helped Jace pay the bills, and they couldn't always keep an eye on everything. Plus, Balek was a family friend. He owned Radiance and gave him a place to stay. It was the least he could do, despite Balek thinking he was doing him a favor.

"Perhaps he is..." Jace could only sigh to himself. The night was long, but only a few more incidents before he could finally get some sleep.

-----

Ascended. That's what Jace was. Individuals who awakened to magic. They ascended past normal mortal bounds. It was relatively rare, even in the Elves who were more inclined to awaken. They were powerful, but often at a cost. You had to have the capacity to utilize the power flowing inside of you.

Because of this, most were highly sought after. Highly trained and made into elite guards for the rich and powerful or became the rich and powerful. However, most could never afford such training and had to teach themselves. Jace was the latter.

With no training, he ran on instinct. He got better as the years went on, but without the proper knowledge, he didn't have the capacity. Balek was helping him out, as with everything. He was a retired member of the Elven gang, Noblesse Oblige, or Nobles. With the Nobles being the gang with the most Ascended, he was able to get him certain materials to learn how to control it better. Even so, the damage was obvious whenever you went over your capacity.

Jace often found himself overdoing it. Blocking bullets was no easy feat, let along thousands of pounds of rushing water pouring down on you. On top of that, the fight with the fixer, followed by working the nightclub back-to-back. Thus, Jace found himself sat down on a chair as Liana, Balek's daughter, stuffed his nose with gauze.

"Honestly..." She berated him, a slight French accent that she got from her mother, "Do you not care what happens to you?"

Jace sat there like a beat dog as he just took her words. He knew better than to speak back. Just like her mother, Liana was not one to take shit. How Balek survived, Jace never knew, but they were happy even after her passing.

"Sorry..." Jace apologized, his words stuffy.

"Do not apologize," She glared, pushing his head forward firmly, "Do you think your mother will get better if you died? What would she say if she recovers only to discover her only son is dead? Huh?"

If it were anyone else, Jace may have gotten angry at her words, but it wasn't anyone else. Not only that, but she was right. He knew it, but hated to admit it.

"...I won't die," Jace answered meekly.

"Oh? You won't, huh?" Taking the gauze out, she placed his hand on his nose, "Pinch, and hold it there."

Throwing the gauze away, she angrily pulled a chair out and sat down. From the corner of his eye, he could see her cross her arms and stare at him. Her gaze was piercing. Those slightly violet, green eyes were deadly. She was a beautiful girl, but had a temper for the right reasons.

Raven black hair cut in an asymmetrical bob, favoring the left side. Part of it tucked behind her pointed ears. An Elf, like her mother and father. Though Balek was only half. She had an alternative style to her clothing.

Long-sleeved, dark crop top with thumb holes. Underneath a mesh shirt that showed off her rather fit figure. Black shorts with adorning belts and loops, along with dark tights complete with knee high combat boots. It was all in stark contrast to her fair skin.

"You keep overdoing it," Liana got a sense of somberness in her tone, "...You will die. Your brain will hemorrhage, and then what?"

Jace saw the disheartened look enter her face, replacing the glare she had. Despite his bad luck and shitty lifestyle, there were people who still cared for him. He often forgot and ended up hurting them like this.

"...I'll be more careful, I pro-" Before he could saw another word, Balek clapped his back.

"Don't make promises you won't keep," Balek warned as he walked in, "Especially to Liana. You know how she is."

"Father..." Liana cried out, slightly embarrassed, "I can handle myself..."

"Yeah? And how many times has he promised that?" Balek eyed him as Jace averted his eyes, "You'll overdo it, just like-"

His words cut off as the entire room grew gloomier. "That's right...Nadine was an Ascended..." Nadine, Balek's wife and Liana's mother. An Ascended, one of the Nobles like Balek used to be. Lost her life by overdoing it. To Balek and Liana, they were seeing the same thing happen to Jace. A sobering reminder for him.

"Liana...Balek," Jace spoke softly as he slowly sat back up, "I...I can't promise, you're right. I'm the only person my mother has. I have to do this. I can't burden you with it. You've helped me more than was ever required, you-"

"Jace, shut up," Liana's words cut through his as she shook her head, "You dumbass. You're family. We've known each other since we were little. It's not a burden. It's helping family. If you want, I can-"

"No," Jace stated firmly, interrupting her this time, but softened his voice after, "Thank you, but...I couldn't bear it. I already feel like I owe Balek with all he's done for me."

There was silence as Balek and Liana exchanged a look between father and daughter. One that didn't go unnoticed by Jace.

"I know," Jace said as he stood, smiling, "If I need anything, I'll let you know."

Standing, they saw him to the door. Balek placing a hand on his shoulder as he gave him a somber smile.

"No, you won't," Balek laughed dryly, "And you know it."

"I-" Jace went to say something when Liana threw her arms around him.

She was slightly shorter than him, her body pressed against him as she reached up. It caught him off-guard, causing a blush to enter his cheeks. He was never good at physical contact. Especially with women. However, he quickly sobered up as her hold on him tightened. He felt the emotion behind it. Fear.

Returning the hug with one arm, he hugged her back as firmly as he could. Feeling her hair against his cheek, he was reminded of all the time they spent together. He recalled Nadine and knew that Liana was simply worried.

He realized then that the hug held many meanings. Most of all that she cared. She understood what he was going through and was a silent reminder of all she told him already. It soothed his heart, and he was grateful. He often needed reminders like this.

"...Thank you," Jace whispered softly to her.

Silently, she nodded her head as she buried it into his shoulder. There was nothing more to say, and it was her only response before letting him go.

-----

24