Chapter 12: It’s Not a Request
588 7 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 12:

It's Not A Request

Rosalie tried to understand her own actions. She wondered why she came to Radiance almost every night with her friends. She tried to play it off as just trying to have some fun. Live a slightly normal life. The truth, however, is that she was drawn by a single name. Balek.

A name she heard before from the very man before her now. Jace. She took a gamble, and it paid off. He really did work here. The workers talked about him, and so she knew it was the right place immediately. However, why was she so nervous? Why did she seek him out?

His eyes took her in, they held her gaze as the bouncers took the creep away. His eyes glowing as he tilted his head. His face was a bit disconcerted, and something else was different. He seemed...tired. Yet, there was more. A sense of calm that wasn't there before.

Part of her felt disappointed, but why? It was something she'd have to figure out, but for now there was tension brewing. Jace was staring for too long, and Gabriel was getting irritated. His eyes immediately flicked to her as if sensing it himself.

"Relax," He stated, sighing, "I just need to talk to your friend here...Rosalie was it?"

He emphasized her name just enough, a hint of doubt calling her out. "He definitely knows..." She saw his eyes, they were straining. He was skilled, but soon his eyes would begin to hurt.

"Like, totally," Rosalie kept up her act, "That's me!"

"Right..." Jace glanced over at her, "I'll need you to come with me, Rosalie. There are rules here, and you broke them."

"What kind of bullshit!" Gabriel spouted as she attempted to stand, only Gloria holding her back kept her in place, "Gloria?"

She asked as she looked at her girlfriend.

"Relax, Gab," Gloria shook her head, "This is Noble's territory. You know that."

Gabriel's jaw clenched as she sat back down. Rosalie was thankful, for she didn't want to see them hurt even if she was just using them. "Is that...guilt?" Rosalie was curious at the pang in her heart. She always tried to figure out emotions. A way to live normally, but this was the first time she felt such a thing. It was interesting.

"Isn't it alright?" Briana asked as she leaned over Rosalie's shoulder, "He's kinda cute, ain't he?"

Jace shifted around, a bit embarrassed. Rosalie felt a little bit strange herself at seeing such a reaction. However, playing the role she had, Rosalie pushed Briana off of her playfully.

"Oh my god, shut up!" Rosalie laughed as Gabriel smirked.

"Look at him, he's embarrassed," Gabriel leaned towards Gloria, "What do you think?"

Jace shifted under their gazes, and Rosalie began to feel a bit uncomfortable herself. Gloria passed her eyes over him as she shrugged.

"He's alright," Looking towards Gabriel, she gripped her chin and pulled her in, "You're cuter."

Gabriel blushed at the sudden words as Gloria kissed her, leaving Gabriel with a dumb smile on her face.

"Oh my god, ew!" Rosalie giggled along with Briana, "Get a room you two! I'll be back, alright?"

"...Right this way," Jace said stiffly, obviously uncomfortable and embarrassed.

Part of Rosalie wanted to hurry this along to get Jace out of this situation. She didn't understand it. "I really do like him, don't I?" The other part of her agreed with Briana. He was cute. She wanted to see more of those reactions. It reminded her of the moment she couldn't get out of her head. Holding her hand to her chest, she followed him through the crowd.

-----

Jace knew from the look in her eyes. It was subtle, but there was only one other person he knew who had that clinical look. Not only that, but the slight shimmer over her appearance was also suspicious. The use of magic was his job to take care of in the club. It's why he acted when he did.

He saw the man approach them, weave his magic. Yet, he also saw something else. His magic failed. He had to strain his eyes to see it. Which meant that this woman he was leading away was strong. Probably stronger than him. His eyes were tired, and he needed to wash them quickly. The warm blood was beginning to trickle out of the corner of them.

"In here," Jace told her, opening a door to a small office, "Close it behind you..."

He heard the soft click of the door as he made his way over to a small sink in the corner.

"Like, this is really quaint," The woman named Rosalie commented from behind him, "Definitely a vibe."

"Vibe...Quaint..." Jace muttered to himself, offput by the way she talked, "Right...Can you drop the act, Rosalie?"

Turning the water on, he splashed his face to wash his eyes. Removing the focus upon them, he felt the strain immediately alleviate. Drying off, he turned towards the woman, leaning against the counter as he crossed his arms.

"Or should I call you Marian?" Jace watched as she flinched slightly, "If either of those are your real names. You're using a glamour...a real fucking good one too. My eyes are killing me."

Jace watched as the woman shifted around, her smile fading as she sighed. He thought he felt something back then at the hospital but ignored it out of stress. Now, he was sure of it. Especially because she now reacted to his accusation.

"...Neither," The woman moved towards the small couch situated against the wall, "Mind if I sit?"

"I was going to ask you anyways," Jace said, motioning to the couch, "So, what is your real name? Why are you here? And...You're an ascended."

"...So many questions," Her monotone voice responded, now to a normal sound as Jace felt more relaxed around this version of her.

Sitting down, she eyed him for a moment before the glamour around her shimmered. He watched as her red hair turned a light lavender. Her fair skin became like a golden brown, and her green eyes changing to a dark blue, with deep violet flecks inside of them like stars. Jace was taken aback as one word crossed his mind. "...Beautiful."

Catching himself, he shook his head free as he felt embarrassed at his sudden thought. Her entire bone structure, physique, and even a bit of her height changed. It was an insanely powerful glamour. It took skill and precision to do even a basic glamour, but this was something else.

"...Damn," Jace muttered, shaking his head, "No wonder you weren't scared of me at the hospital...You're strong."

"That...wasn't the reason I wasn't scared," She gave a half-hearted smile, something odd to Jace as she often kept her emotions inside as Marian.

"Oh?" Jace raised an eyebrow, "Then why? And...is this your real form? How you truly look?"

"Yes...this is the real me," She shifted around, for the first time Jace saw her embarrassed as she held herself with one arm, "It's not...weird, is it?"

"No," Jace immediately answered, feeling awkward saying it so quickly, "I mean...you look..."

Jace caught himself as he tried to compose his thoughts. Truth be told, Marian and Rosalie both paled in comparison to the woman before him. She was tall, slender, and fit. A strong, yet elegant jawline. Her pointy ears ran along the side of her head, peaking through the light lavender of her hair. Her eyes drew him in, reminded him a lot of Liana. Though hers were green.

It was strange he thought of her in this moment, but the eyes were always the first thing Jace noticed about someone. Being slightly more toned than Rosalie, the clothing she wore fit a bit better, and tighter. She was regal in a way. Elegant and held a certain atmosphere to her.

"Jace?" The woman asked, breaking him out of his thoughts, "Is it that weird?"

"N-No, sorry," Jace felt a bit of heat enter his cheeks, "I'm just surprised is all...But, I prefer the real you. Though, you never told me your name. Your actual name, and don't think I haven't forgotten about learning the reason you weren't scared."

"No, I suppose you haven't..." The woman once more held a small smile, and something about it threw Jace off, causing his heart to skip a beat, "My name is Selene, and as for why I wasn't scared..."

She looked away, suddenly nervous as if in thought before looking back at him.

"You weren't going to hurt me," She stated simply, "I knew you wouldn't, because that isn't who you are."

Jace felt a lump in his heart, a certain tug that he couldn't quite place.

"And what makes you think that?" Jace asked softly, "I was angry. Everyone was my enemy then. I could have attacked you...though now I know even if I did, you'd be fine."

"No," She stated with conviction, "You wouldn't have."

Jace felt a bit flustered at her certainty. He attacked Gerard, why wouldn't he have attacked her? This...Selene? Jace scratched his head in thought, and it occured to him. She called to him at that moment, and all he did was turn around, but when it came to Gerard...he simply acted. Why didn't he attack her in that instant?

"...Maybe you're right," Jace mumbled, feeling a bit dizzy as he took a chair from the small table in the room and sat down, "So...Selene, is it?"

"Yes, I am not lying to you," She told him straight, locking eyes with him, "I...Have no reason to lie to you after you saw through it."

"...So, Selene, a girl who moonlights as a nurse and a party girl..." Jace leaned back in his chair, trying to comprehend this situation, "Why even show yourself? You could have denied it."

"You saw through it," She stated simply, "Your habit of overdoing it hasn't worn off yet."

Jace went silent. She was acting a lot more friendly than he was used to.

"I'm working on it..." Jace eyed her cautiously, "So...which is it? Marian or Rosalie? Which is your actual personality?"

"So that's what's bothering you," She tilted her head, watching him as he nodded, "I'd say Marian is closest. Rosalie...Truthfully, I dislike her."

"Yeah, it's not you at all," Jace stated, realizing he said it out loud, "I mean...not that I know you entirely, but...I just don't see you as that type of woman."

"No...I'm not," She told him, and Jace swear he saw for a brief moment some emotion enter her eyes, but just as quickly it disappeared, "So...you know my secret. What now?"

"Now? Nothing," Jace shook his head as he leaned forward on the table, "Truth be told...I wanted answers, and...To ask a question."

"Ask it."

"My mother..." Jace fidgeted, his face falling slightly, "How...is she doing? You're still taking care of her, right? You're out here partying...and my mother..."

Jace eyed her, for that was the real reason he confronted her. His mother was under her care. Why was she here instead of at her side?

-----

Selene felt strange walking with Jace. She watched him as they entered the room, as he washed his eyes, and even as he confronted her. She felt for a moment to keep up the lie, but before him she didn't want to lie. She showed him her real appearance, that of a Dark Elf. She expected a bad reaction, but instead he said some pretty amusing stuff.

That was the other thing. It was amusing to her. She always had a hard time feeling things due to her upbringing. That's why she hid herself. It's why she ran away. Masquerading as these people in hopes of learning something. Of feeling something. To live a normal life, or at least some semblance of it.

She never felt the way she did right now. Was it his genuine show of care for his mother? Was it how he always wore his emotions on his face? She felt things around him she never thought before. "Yeah...I like him, but...I don't know anything about him." The reason she came to Radiance was in the offchance she met him.

She couldn't get the thought of his touch out of her head. It had burrowed into her to the point she couldn't focus. It was the first time she ever felt okay with someone touching her. She found herself absentmindedly touching the back of her hand where he held her. She recalled his laugh, and seeing him now, she felt a bit out of the loop.

Something happened to him after he left the hospital. She could feel it. There was a sadness permeating over him, but it was tempered. As if the worst of it was over. Why did she feel disappointed in that?

She was reminded of his love for his mother when he asked his question. She felt that tug at her heart as her eyes widened. She was surprised even in the depths of his own sorrow, he thought of someone else. Was it normal for people to think of others?

He was upset that she was here and not by her side, but he wasn't blaming her. Instead, he asked if she was doing well.

"...Yes," She found herself saying, "Your mother is doing well. I have kept my promise. Jace, I will take care of her. Do not worry. I know I'm out here...I can't explain why, not yet."

Jace watched her. His eyes taking her in. She wasn't blind to his look, but unlike others she didn't mind. In fact, it made her self-conscious and a bit embarrassed. Usually, she felt disgusted if people looked at her like he was, but as he averted his eyes in embarrassment himself, she found herself amused. Briana was right, he was cute.

"Thank you..." Jace told her, smiling slightly, "I'm glad to hear she's doing alright..."

"And what about you?" Selene found herself asking after him, berating herself for how eager she sounded, "Are you alright?"

"Me?" Jace seemed surprised as he laughed, a light laughter that filled her heart, "I...am. At least, I'm getting there."

"What happened?"

"...Is this asking as a person, or a nurse?" Jace seemed to be teasing her, but after a moment and before she could respond, he waved a dismissive hand, "Sorry, I don't mean to be rude. Thanks for asking. I...was really depressed for a while."

She sat there and listened in silence as Jace told her about his depressive episode. How helpless he felt after being banned. His mother meant the world to him, and in a moment it all fell down around him. Usually, she wouldn't care about such stories, but listening to him talk about how he felt made her heart move in ways she never thought it could.

How he felt he had to be strong, only for him to realize he was far from where he needed to be. How even now someone stood before him much stronger than him. He got to the point where he mentioned Nadine. How he had kept some information the last time he told her about them. Even now he seemed to be holding something else back about her, but she didn't press it.

"I honestly...don't know why I feel like I can tell you this," Jace laughed, a beautiful sound to her ears, "At first, I thought you were another stuck up High Elf, but...I don't think that's the case at all."

Those words sent her heart fluttering. Knowing he didn't think she was stuck up made her insanely happy for some reason. She controlled it the best she could as she thanked him.

"You've shown you care," He said softly, "You've listened to me...you care for my mother. I'm putting my trust in you, Selene. Please, make sure she is seen to properly."

"I will," An immediate response from Selene caused her ears to feel warm, "I will keep my promise to you."

"Promise or not, thank you," Jace was silent for a moment afterwards before continuing his story, "Nadine gave her life for mine...and I realized now that Balek and Liana are definitely family. They helped me through it. My mom may be the only blood I have...but not the only family."

Selene's heart felt heavy suddenly as he told her this.

"They...helped you?" Selene questioned, feeling a knot form in her stomach.

"Yes," He nodded, his gaze pensive as he thought back, "Mainly Liana, though Kiera was there. Both of them stayed by my side, making sure my apartment was cared for...and when I was ready, they didn't berate me...they..."

Selene watched with a heavy heart as Jace began to tear up. She felt a sudden urge to reach for him, but stopped herself short. It was in that moment she knew what she felt. Jealous. She wished she had been there for him, but why? Just how much did she like him?

"I'm...glad they were there," Jace wiped away his tears as he smiled such a genuine smile that it figuratively blew Selene away.

It took every ounce of her self-control to remain calm as her heart melted. She wanted to see that smile again. She would have to thank this Liana and Kiera for such an opportunity.

"You seem to really care about them," Selene stated, controlling her tone as best she could, "Liana...she's Balek's daughter, right?"

"Mhm," Jace nodded, smiling fondly, "Kiera is her girlfriend, but she's just like family as well. She's always there for Liana when I couldn't be...I'm grateful to her, to all of them. Which brings me to my next thing I wanted to tell you..."

"What is it?" She asked, curious and a bit offput.

She felt all these new things lately, and it was hard to keep track. She had to be the calm within the storm. Centering herself, she took several deep breaths as she released the emotions spinning inside of her heart. She was at the center of them. She had the control.

"My mother..." Jace said softly, "She needs visitors. I know she's in a coma, but...it's not right if no one visits her. Since I can't...I'd like it if they could. They're family."

"...Very well," Selene immediately accepted his request, "I will take care of them as well."

"Really!?" Jace perked up at her response, happier than she thought he'd be as he leaned forward to grab her hands, "You mean it? They can? I was a bit worried since technically they aren't blood, but...I mean, you yourself said that family isn't always made in blood."

She found herself shocked. He remembered her words. His hands holding hers caused her ears to warm, but his enthusiasm and pure joy at her response was what caused the red to enter them. She could only stare at her hands in his as she recalled the feeling she felt over a week ago when he had done something similar. It wasn't unpleasant.

"O-Oh! Sorry," He stated sheepishly as he noticed her staring blankly at their hands, "I don't mean to make you uncomfortable...it was reflex."

"No...It's alright," She told him, cursing herself and her facial expressions.

She wanted his hands to stay there. She was in such shock that he thought she was annoyed with it. Clenching her jaw, she knew the storm was gathering, her control was breaking. Looking up at him, she locked eyes with his, even as his darted around nervously.

"I'll make it happen," She told him, but felt the lump in her throat as she took the plunge into the storm, control be damned, "In exchange...."

Jace's face grew solemn as she mentioned an exchange. He was most likely thinking of money, but that wasn't it at all.

"Whatever it is...I'll get it," Jace said, determination entering his face.

"No," Selene shook her head, "That's not it. I don't want your money."

"You...Then what? Need me to steal something? Kill someone?" Jace listed those two things off as if it was normal, "Though, I think you could handle either yourself, so-"

"Jace," Selene interrupted him, her ears burning up as she found what she wanted to ask difficult, "None of those things, I...I guess I made it sound bad."

Jace seemed to realize how difficult this was for her, as his eyes flicked to her ears. His sudden realization at her embarrassment caused him to become embarrassed as well.

"S-Sorry..." He apologized, becoming a bit more cautious, yet curious, "What...is it you want?"

"...A Date," Selene mumbled.

"What was that?" Jace furrowed his brow in confusion, "I didn't-"

"A date," Selene was much louder, and more firm in her wording, though inside her heart was running faster than it ever did before, it took all she could muster to keep a straight face, "I want...A date."

Jace stared, dumbfounded at her, his face growing redder as her gaze remained, unwavering. She could no longer stay here, or she'd lose what was left of her composure.

"7pm," She told him, standing up, "Three days...I have the night off."

Her eyes glowed slightly as an addressed was sent to him. He had no idea how she got access to his line, but before he could say anything else or ask a single question, she quickly left the room. Leaving him completely dumbstruck as she changed herself back into Rosalie.

"D-Did that just happen?" Jace didn't return to work for almost an hour as he gathered himself, too lost and confused by the sudden change of events.

-----

Birth of a Yandere? Maybe. I'm unsure if she will count as one...but probably. Just like Kiera is (kind of?) one. The romance will begin to progress quicker now as the story orients more into it, but don't worry. There will still be jobs and missions that Jace does as well, but his life will begin to change, along with everyone else's around him.

Taking a break from posting for now. I hope these chapters enticed you. Will post more in the future. <3 For those who read this in the future, those chapters will already be there :P

Also, the coming chapters will be about the date so buckle down for it. :P

18