Chapter 35: Scars
299 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 35:

Scars

Jace was in a bad state. He had just recovered but had yet to be at full strength. Thus, that explosion proved just too much for him. Though his barrier was sturdy, he was not. Selene was worried but had to stay by his side.

"Why..." Selene muttered, closing her eyes, "You foolish man..."

She was plenty strong enough to protect them both, and with Kiera there it was more than enough. Yet, he threw out his own barrier. Was it a reflex? Was he trying to also protect her as she protected him?

As she sat there, stroking his hair from his face, she couldn't help but wonder. "Will he survive?" This thought worried her to no end. He wasn't one to just sit still and do nothing. Yet, if he continued like this his body would never be able to recover.

This realization only fueled her rage for those who would harm him. She could feel Kiera's power, smiling in satisfaction. She knew that redemption would be had. She was a curious existence to Selene, sensing the pain and hardship she went through. As if there was a sense if similarity between the two of them.

She could trust Kiera, but now they had to leave. With Jace in her arms, they quickly left to make their way towards the one place Jace would be safe while he recovered. Westview Apartment Complex, 30th floor. Kiera and Liana's Apartment.

She knew of what Liana asked. To have time with Jace, alone, after they dealt with the Spider. So, this would be the perfect opportunity for her. Selene wasn't upset, nor was she jealous. She was focused solely on Jace and his happiness.

She knew that Liana would take care of him. Selene did what she could for now and would later ensure his full recovery. Still, there was something burning in her heart. A desire that was not sated. A fury that needed to be released. Kiera sensed it.

"You'll have your time..." Kiera told her as they made their way up the elevator, "Your bloodlust will be sated."

"...The Spider is dead," Selene stated, "You have yet to tell me what happened."

Selene eyed Kiera who shifted under her heavy gaze.

"I...wanted to wait until we got him safe," Kiera explained, "Truth be told...I'm not looking forward to seeing Liana's reaction, so..."

"You were focused on that," Selene sighed, taking a deep, calming breath, "At least he is breathing."

"Yes, he's honestly tougher than you think," Kiera glanced towards his unconscious body in her hands, worry in her heart, "Still though...That foolish man."

Reaching towards him, Kiera brushed a stray strand of hair from his face. Selene understood her sentiments.

"Even if it kills him, he'll defend what he loves," Kiera smirked, chuckling softly, "We'll have to do something about that..."

"I will," Selene stated with confidence, "His recklessness has yet to be completely gone."

"Well, he wouldn't be Jace if it was," Kiera sighed, glancing towards the elevator door as it opened.

"No, he wouldn't," Selene began to walk forward with Kiera following after, "Still..."

Her words trailed off as she lost herself in thought. She didn't mind that reckless nature of his. It was endearing he instinctively protected that which he cares about. In such a situation, there isn't much time for thought.

"He has gotten better though," Kiera muttered, admiring him from the corner of her eye, "In the past, he never would have taken the time to recover. Which is why it's such a shame this happened so shortly after..."

The two of them fell into silence. There wasn't much to be said after that. It was the simple truth. He had improved and been conscious of others. In such a situation one could hardly blame him. The important thing now was that he was still alive.

Kiera hesitated a moment before unlocking and opening the door to their apartment. Making their way in, their footsteps seemed to echo through the loft. They could hear her, and even Selene braced herself. Liana was important to Jace. Incredibly so, and for Selene that meant her wellbeing and approval was important to her.

"Sunshine? Are you finished with that-" Liana's cheery words caught in her throat as she came down the stairs from the second floor.

They were standing in the foyer before the living room and kitchen. Liana's eyes locked on Jace, her face hardening. Kiera stepped forward, about to speak though fell silent when Liana raised a hand. Selene's heart beat heavily as Liana made her way towards them.

Her eyes never left Jace, her hand reaching to his face. She was tender in her touch. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath.

"...What happened?" Liana's words were quiet.

Selene could feel her restraining herself. Though after a moment of silence, the aura around Liana grew ominious. It was the first time Selene felt anxious and fearful at the same time. Liana's eyes finally breaking free from him to look up at her. The sharpness of her glare was enough to cause even her to be nervous.

"What. Happened?" She asked again, holding her gaze.

"...Mana bomb," Selene whispered, her words quiet, cowed, "We put up barriers, but Jace..."

"It was too much for him," Kiera continued where Selene left off, her words trying to calm Liana down, "He-"

Liana's gaze silenced her. Closing her eyes, Liana took another breath. When she opened her eyes, the steel was still there, but tempered. Looking towards Jace, she could only shake her head.

"He simply reacted," Liana stated quietly, understanding him to his core, "He just recovered...yet still tried to protect you both. Foolish man..."

Selene could already imagine Jace's reaction to the three of them all calling him foolish. He would shrug, stating he just reacted. Meanwhile, he'd smile bashfully, shifting under their scrutiny. It was cute.

"We both said that same thing," Kiera spoke up, awkwardly laughing lightly.

"Heh, I'm sure you did..." Liana glance between the two of them, "That's part of his charm, I suppose...Well, come on."

Motioning with her hand, Liana led them up the stairs to an empty bedroom.

"Place him there," Liana motioned towards the bed, "Kiera, go get him spare clothes. Selene, get me some warm water. There's a wash basin in the closet by the bathroom. Along with clean washcloths."

His clothes were bloodied, smelling of smoke and iron. His face was as clean as it could get for the moment, but he had to get changed. With the two of them heading off, it left Liana alone to get him undressed.

Selene didn't know how she kept a straight face. Her ears were burning at the thought of seeing Jace's body. She wondered how many times Liana had to do something like this for him. As she returned, she nearly dropped the wash basin at what she saw.

"Ah, you're back," Liana glanced over her shoulder at her, "Set it down there and help me with the other side."

Liana motioned towards the bedside table, but Selene's eyes couldn't leave Jace. Liana had managed to get his pants off, leaving just his underwear for decency. His shirt was unbuttoned, showing off his rather fit body. Despite his lean frame, he was in shape.

Yet, that wasn't what drew Selene's attention. It was the scars. She had noticed the one on his left arm before, but that was nothing compared to what she saw underneath his shirt. As she helped Liana lift him and remove his shirt from himself, she saw it all.

A large, diagonal slash over the left side of his chest. Smaller cuts and stab wounds dotted his body. His right arms shoulder looked like it was blasted apart by lightning. Fractal lines of white ran along its skin.

His abdomen was riddled with burn marks. Small, tiny holes as if someone had put cigarettes or cigars out on him. His back was even worse. Though they had healed over, the marks remained. She gritted her teeth as the anger welled up inside of her.

"...It's not pleasant, is it?" Liana asked quietly, looking towards Selene with pain in her eyes.

"How...did he get so many?" Selene asked, though already knew the answer.

Liana smiled gently, though the pain behind it was intense. She pointed to the slash along his chest.

"Techno Dragon," She stated, "First year he ran, his powers weren't that strong yet. Tore right through his barrier. He survived, they didn't."

Pointing to the various stab and cut marks.

"Early years of running," Liana explained, "Ran into a nest of Sparrows. They got in quick and close. Tore him to shreds, and he returned the favor."

With each explanation, Selene's heart ached. Just how much did he go through? Liana pointed to the long cut on his left forearm."

"This one you know," Liana smiled wryly, "You looked quite concerned when you saw it."

"...You were there?" Selene raised an eyebrow, slightly amused, "I'll have to pay more attention."

"Eh, there were a lot of people," Liana chuckled softly, though grew somber as she ran her hand over the burn marks, "These...and several of the cuts are from his father."

Selene's blood grew ice cold, as did her expression. "So...these are old..." Selene went through a lot growing up. Her father putting her through hell, but nothing like this. Seeing this brought Selene's heart to its knees. He was just a child, and was treated like this?

"He often says he never did anything to protect his mother..." Liana whispered, shaking his head, "Yet, all of these are proof that he did. As fucked as that sounds. This was what happened when he took a punishment meant for his mother."

The room grew chill as Selene's anger deepened. Only Liana's firm, yet kind hand upon her forearm brought her back to reality.

"I know how you feel," Liana told her, smiling through the pain, "But Jace needs a comfortable environment. Try not to freeze him."

Selene felt embarrassed as she nodded. Her eye catching those fractal lines upon his shoulder.

"What about that?" Selene motioned to it, curious.

"Ah...that," Liana grew somber, a tender melancholy, "That...is from protecting me."

Liana's hand fell gently upon his right shoulder. Her fingers barely touching him as they ran along its pathways. Its fractal white lines radiated not just over his shoulder, but along his shoulder blade and part of his back as well.

"Someone was harassing me," Liana explained, her words quiet, "I had defended myself, punching them and knocking them back. I...didn't know they were an Ascended."

Selene could see the regret in her eyes, the guilt.

"Liana..." Selene called her name softly.

"I know," Liana smiled, but Selene wasn't convinced, "I couldn't have known, but...Anyways, they lashed back. Jace was nearby and saw it. As always, he simply reacted."

"That does sound like him."

"Yes, it does," Liana chuckled softly, "But, this was before he was an ascended. We were just young teenagers. He pushed me out of the way, his right shoulder was completely destroyed."

Liana's sadness turned to amusement, confusing Selene until she spoke up.

"Heh, it's funny," Liana said, shaking her head, "I never saw three kids piss their pants so fast. His arm was so bloody, and by all accounts he should have been dead, but..."

Liana laughed then, and Selene could see the love she held for him in her eyes.

"He held on," She stated, "Standing there with his arm torn, glaring them all down. I could never forget the rage in his face. All it took was him to move one step towards them, and they were gone. Piss-soaked pants and all."

Selene understood now the change in Liana, and could definitely imagine Jace doing that.

"How...did he survive?" Selene inquired, quite curious, "That kind of injury..."

"...My mother," Liana told her, "As an Ascended, her specialty was Healing."

Selene was surprised. Her eyes widening at the implications of a healer. Magic could do a lot of things, but only those with the specialty of Healing could actually use it to heal. The downside was that it used their vital energy. Which made being a Healer dangerous.

Healers were a rarity. Highly sought after. They had to keep themselves hidden or they'd be used, quite literally, to death.

"Wait, so..." Selene began to piece things together, understanding more of Jace's guilt, "Your mother...how much did she give?"

"...Everything," Liana smiled proudly, "Twice, in fact. She used a lot of her eternal energy to save Jace. So, when she saved him a second time...she had no energy left to heal herself. Finally costing her life, but...I know she wouldn't change that for the world, and honestly? Neither would I."

Selene began to realize just how deep their love for Jace went. If given the choice, she knew that Liana would gladly give her life for him, and he would do the same. Was love really this foolish? Selene could only smile to herself, for she was no different. She would gladly give her life if it meant his safety and happiness, but then...he wouldn't be happy without her.

"I guess...we both need to ensure our survival, and his," Selene stated quietly.

"...Exactly," Liana nodded, sharing a moment with her as their eyes locked together, "You understand."

"Yes," Selene nodded, "Don't miss your chance this time."

"...I won't," Liana smirked, and with Selene's help, began to wipe him down.

-----

I'm back to writing again now that my situation is finally figured out for a while. Anxiety attacks are not fun. I'm sorry to have made you wait for a while for more updates. I hope these coming chapters you'll enjoy <3

12