Chapter 44: Preparations
290 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 44:

Preparations

"St.Claire Industries, you've reached Kenneth St.Claire's office," A female voice answered the call, "Theresa speaking, how may I take your call?"

Selene glanced over at Kiera who nodded, informing her she was secure. Smiling and nodding in appreciation, Selene began to speak.

"Theresa," Selene's voice was cold, "You recognize my voice, do you not?"

"...Y-Yes," Theresa's voice trembled, "M-Miss St-"

"Silence," Selene cautioned her, "You only need to listen and deliver a message, understood?"

"...." No response.

"Good," Selene smiled satisfactorily, "Inform Kenneth that I heard his message. He has two options. Continue this course or not."

"...." Again, no response, just heavy breathing and them swallowing hard, nervous.

"If he asks why I don't contact him directly..." Selene's tone grew even colder, "Kenneth. I know you're listening. You've made a mistake. Correct it, or come crashing down."

"...Selene," A male's deep voice came over the call, calm and authoritative, "You should have come home. You've forced my hand."

"No," Selene stated, danger in her voice, "You've forced my hand. Withdraw. If you have ever considered yourself my father, do not pursue this."

There was a moment of silence over the line. Kiera sharing a look with Selene, silently asking if they should cut the call. Shaking her head, Selene held a hand up telling her to wait. On the other end of the call they heard a deep sigh.

"Is this because of that...thing I've seen you with?" Kenneth asked with vehemence in his tone, "If they're not around then-"

"Do not finish that sentence," Selene threatened, her voice commanding, "This is about more than them. If you don't even know that...We have nothing further to discuss. Think on your choices, Kenneth. Are you a father, or are you an obstacle? Remind me. What did you teach me about obstacles, again?"

"...To remove them," Kenneth answered solemnly.

There was a lull between the two of them in that moment as Selene allowed the meaning to sink in for them.

"Sele-" His voice cut off as Selene nodded towards Kiera who immediately cut the call.

"Well, that was...informative," Kiera stated, though Selene could hear the anger underneath her words, and the shaking of her body from the silent rage.

"We'll see," Selene stated coolly, taking a deep breath, "The message was sent, but why did you insist on doing it this way? Did you say you wanted to go to war?"

"I did," Kiera told her, smiling from across the kitchen table, "A part of war, however, is intimidation."

"To surrender without a fight, huh?" Selene pondered it for a moment, "That would be ideal. Yet, I can't help but feel the rage inside of me...I don't think it'll be quelled with just this."

"I agree," Kiera nodded, stretching her arms across the table like a cat, "So, how about we send another message?"

Selene liked what Kiera was suggesting, a slow devious smile spreading across her face. Standing from the table, the two of them disappeared from her apartment silently and quickly. The poor agent whose sole mission was to monitor the apartment had been having...technical difficulties lately. Now, only amplified by the fear of two very pissed off Ascended appearing suddenly before them.

The room was small, dark, and filled with monitoring tech. Their eyes slowly moving towards the two looming shadows. Two pairs of eyes glowing menacingly in the dark. Red and Violet.

"Well...shit," The agent stated before an invisible force wrapped around their throat.

Pulled up from their chair, Selene brought the hapless woman to her.

"You have a choice," Selene spoke calmly, her dark blue, violet eyes beginning to swirl with silver, "Join me, or fall."

"W-What are you-" The woman croaked through the grasp of power over her throat.

To emphasize what Selene meant, Kiera nonchalantly waved a hand that opened a nearby window. Selene's eyes going between the woman and the window. The agents eyes, black with white circles indicating the cybernetics in them, widened in understanding.

"Speak," Selene commanded, loosening their hold just enough.

"W-What do you wish of me, Matriarch," The Agent deferred respectfully, using a title only given to the head of the St.Claire Family.

"First things first..." Selene looked towards Kiera, then at the agent with a cruel smile, "You're going to have to have a little bit of...surgery."

"S-Surgery?" The womans already pale skin suddenly became even paler, "W-What do you...mean?"

Instead of answering, Kiera simply walked over to her. Red eyes glowing as from out of nowhere, she pulled out several tools. What looked like a mix of surgical tools and computer repair tools.

"Don't worry," Selene stated, "I'll make sure you don't feel a thing."

Her eyes glowed, the agents body becoming drowsy. The last thing the agent saw was Kiera looming menacingly over her like some maniacal surgeon. If Selene could read thoughts, she'd believe the Agent may be question just what she agreed to.

-----

"You understand now, don't you?" Selene asked the woman knelt before her.

She was the agent from before. She had been cybernetically enhanced with implants given to her by St.Claire Industries. In other words, a security risk. Kiera had used her Technomancer skills along with her own, surprising, knowledge of technology with the assistance of Selene's medical knowledge to remove the dangerous tech. Namely, the suicide chip.

"Y-Yes, Miss," The agent nodded, "Thank you for your generosity."

"I don't need a chip," Selene told her coolly, crossing one leg over the other and resting her head in her hand, watching the woman closely, "If you betray me, I'll simply kill you myself."

The Agent swallowed hard, shaking as she was still recovering from the removal, though Selene knew fear played a part as well. The woman wore all black clothing from head to toe. A turtleneck sweater and cargo pants.

Her eyes completely black save for the white cybernetic lines mimicking the iris. Her hair was shaved along the left side of her head, with the rest of her dark purple hair falling to her chin on the right side. Sharp features with a slightly larger than normal nose, but still beautiful in her own right.

"What's your name?" Selene inquired.

"M-Maryia," The woman answered nervously, "It's spelling is a bit-"

"I didn't ask that," Selene interrupted coldly, shutting Maryia up immediately, "So, Maryia...You will work for me now. The first thing you'll do is simple. You'll continue your work. Report as you usually do."

"Pardon?" Maryia asked in confusion, "But wouldn't that-"

Her words were cut off under the icy eyes of Selene.

"The chip will remain active," Selene motioned towards Kiera who had the chip floating in a small tube filled with a green, viscous liquid, "So, they won't know it's out. Are you following?"

Maryia eyes lit up, indicating that they had, in fact, understood. "Good, they're quick..." Selene tapped her fingers along the arm of the chair she sat in.

"Now that you know, tell me what you have to do," Selene ordered.

"Report to you any orders I receive," Maryia stated, feeling a bit more confident, "I'm a double agent."

"Precisely," Selene stood, looming over Maryia, "In addition, anyone else who works with you, you'll give us their names and locations. I could find it out myself, but..."

Her words trailed off, expecting Maryia to understand. Just as Selene expected, Maryia was quick on the uptake.

"You can trust me," Maryia stated, holding her hands together before her, bowing her head in deference, "I will prove myself. Never liked my previous boss anyways."

Smirking, Selene nodded, kneeling down next to the woman.

"Do not fail me," Selene warned, a chill in the air.

"I'll not fail you!" Maryia bowed her head even further.

Satisfied with her answer, Selene stood. Taking something that was her father's soothed some of the rage inside of her. The beginning was now. Obstacles would be removed. "Which will you choose...Father." Selene wondered, steeling herself for the future.

-----

Kiera and Selene left Maryia to her work. The seeds were planted. Of course, Maryia wasn't the first. Selene had been building allies even before she left her family. They became inactive when she left, as she wanted nothing to do with it.

However, that all changed for several reasons. One of the biggest being Jace. She wasn't worried or concerned if her father came after her. She could handle herself, but now Jace was in the equation. The thought of her father trying to lay a hand on Jace angered her. She would protect what was hers.

Unlike her father, she didn't think of everyone as disposable. At one time that wasn't true, but she had changed not just from her time away from her family, but since meeting Jace. There were things she wanted to protect now. Things she would protect.

She was tired of seeing St.Claire Industries going down this path. She understood the need for getting your hands dirty, but trampling on the weak who weren't a threat? It disgusted her even before she left.

She would take the company back. Whether her father stood in her way or not was still to be seen. He sent his declaration, now she sent hers. In a matter of moments, St.Claire Industries was split in two as her faction rose up, answering her call.

They had been waiting all this time, and now the signal was sent. "Do not blame me, father...You were the one who taught me this." Selene watched the news as the headline read: ST.CLAIRE INDUSTRIES GOES DARK. INTERNAL STRIFE? PRODUCTION HALTED. WHO WILL PROVIDE THE PRODUCTS WE ALL USE? MORE AT NINE.

"Well, that's effective," Kiera praised, letting out a low whistle, "So, what now?"

"We wait," Selene told her, smiling, "In the meantime, I'm hungry. You?"

"I could eat," Kiera answered with a smile of her own.

With the two of them in agreement, Selene disguised herself as a young human girl as the two of them headed out for the evening. The anger inside the two of them simmering, but under control. Selene's thoughts turned to Jace, hoping that she could take him out again soon, but for now he had to recover and was safer with Liana.

-----

Thank you for reading and hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'd like some reader input. To get the feeling of where everyone stands so far on a certain character. I also just like to hear your thoughts. If you wish, please vote in the poll <3

Do You Think Kenneth Is Redeemable?
  • Yes Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No Votes: 16 88.9%
Total voters: 18
9