Chapter 50: Re-Write
236 4 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 50:

Re-Write

Selene watched Jace from a distance, too afraid to get close. No, fear wasn't the right word. She wasn't really afraid of anything, except for Jace coming to hate her. This feeling was more like worry. She knew what she was getting into and knew just how bloody it would get.

Her father finally sent her an answer to the question she had asked. The bodies of those he sent after Jace scattered around her. Their blood pooled upon the ground. The iron scent was heavy in the air. "So, he really did know about him..." Selene sighed, as she had hoped she would be wrong.

She only ever went out on two dates with Jace. Other than that, they weren't always seen together. To have deduced he was important to her so quickly was just like him, but she had hoped she'd been careful enough. Now, she had to send a message back.

"You," Selene's words echoed with power, her attention turning to the only survivor.

A veteran agent, middled-aged human male. One of his arms was completely gone, his other arm attempted to stem the flow of blood. His hand glowing with power, cauterizing the wound. He flinched at her words, looking towards her with fearful defiance.

"I-I won't say anything!" He fiercely stated, though his quivering belied his bravery.

"I don't need you to tell me anything," Selene told him coolly, staring down at him with cold eyes, "I am a Paragon."

Recognition and understanding flashed through his eyes. That's when his defiance shifted to regret. He attempted to back away, only to realize he was already against a wall. Paragons were the height of what an Ascended hoped to achieve, or so they said.

For this man before her, he knew what that meant. As a fellow Ascended, he understood the danger he was in. Paragons ignored the usual rules and laws associated with other Ascended. With near inexhaustible mana, their abilities defied all logic.

There weren't many Paragons in the world, but if not for their existence, many would believe them a myth. This man worked for her father, and so understood she wouldn't just lie about it. There was no need, and there were already rumors spreading that she was a Paragon, so it wasn't hard to believe it, especially with what he just saw.

His entire team was just destroyed with little effort. She barely felt the strain. Like flicking an ant. It was simple and easy. Too easy. She almost felt sorry, if not for them going after Jace who was currently on a walk with Liana. The two of them looking absolutely delightful together.

She longed to be by his side, but currently had a job to do. His safety was too important. These men tried to ambush the two of them, waiting on a nearby rooftop, but Selene was prepared. She was keeping an eye on them ever since her father's announcement. Along with Kiera's protectiveness, the two of them easily intercepted the team.

"What will you do with them?" Kiera asked, sitting on the bulkhead of the roof, just above the door to the stairs.

Her eyes were cold, gazing at the man. She, like Selene, did not appreciate a threat to their loved ones. Her eyes glinted with a low, threatening red. She had recently confessed to Jace, much to Selene's surprise and amusement. This meant Kiera no longer held back her feelings.

"He sent a message," Kiera told her, "As I'm sure you're aware."

"I am..." Selene responded, "Letting my father know I'm protecting him...This was a test."

The man swallowed hard, his eyes looking for any way out.

"It's useless," Kiera told him with a sigh, "Your cybernetics are locked down. The kill switch won't work. Your magic...is a joke."

Jumping down from the bulkhead, Kiera landed gracefully, the sound of blood squelching under her. Making her way towards the man, she clicked her tongue in disgust.

"Selene, what are you going to do?" Kiera asked once more.

"...Send a message," Selene replied, raising her hand towards the man, she told him with a cruel smile, "This will hurt...a lot."

Selene's eyes glowed violet, slowly changing to silver as lavender threads made their way from her hand. They twisted and snaked through the air towards the man. Unable to move, held in place by Selene's power, the tendrils touched the man's temples.

His eyes shone the pain he could not exclaim. The sheen in his honey-brown eyes disappearing, becoming muted and dull. Tears streamed down their face as Selene drew closer to him. This was just like what she did to Helen, only on a much more sinister scale.

It was ironic that Selene's unique ability was Re-Write. She was manipulated all her life by her father. Created and raised to be the perfect heir. The perfect everything. Was that why her ability was related to such things?

There was, of course, a caveat. They had to be weak-willed, or at least weaker in wills to Selene. Fear was a perfect conductor to lessening the will of another, and this man was terrified. Re-Write, however, didn't just affect memories. It affected everything.

As a Paragon, her ability evolved to heights unknown even to her father. The very fabric of the universe lay bare before her. It was how she rewrote the smell of the restaurant on her first date with Jace. It was how she rewrote his perception so she would go unnoticed using her powers. It was how her glamour was so intricate. Even then, she was always careful. Doing only so much that a normal Ascended could do.

Re-Write was an unfair ability. One Selene didn't like using if she didn't have to. The only thing it couldn't do was bring back the dead, and unfortunately it could not heal Mana Degeneration. She had tried. Several times.

In order to heal it, she would have to completely Re-Write the identity of Jace's mother. She would no longer be the same person. Something she could not do. Only medical science could save her, and there were only two places capable. St.Claire Industries and Empyrean Industries.

Unfortunately, Empyrean had a rivalry with St.Claire, and so would be difficult getting Delilah into one of their facilities. A byproduct of the past. Animosity fostered as they competed with each other. Their CEO was a Paragon, and thus threatened St.Claire. St.Claire's answer to that was Selene.

However, Selene had never had ambitions of her own. Though she was created and raised to counter Empyrean, she had no desire to. All of her ambitions had always been her fathers. Now, however, that changed. She had her own ambitions, her own goals, and she would use anything to achieve them. Even her distasteful ability.

"You will go," Selene told the man, "You are no longer yourself, but a machine. A machine that serves one purpose. To kill."

"Y-Yes..." The man nodded, emotionless, "I am...a machine. I am...to kill."

"Return," Selene instructed, leaning down towards the man, "Tell them you succeeded. When they turn their back...attack them. It matters not if you die."

"Yes...It doesn't matter...if I die," The man intoned.

"Now...go," Selene touched the man's forehead with two fingers.

A small, violet pulse enveloped the man before dissipating. Without a single word or complaint, the man stood and left. She watched as he made his way slowly away, his thoughts, his mind, his body...no longer his own.

"That's...terrifying," Kiera muttered, slightly shifting uncomfortably, "No wonder you dislike using it."

Selene could only look towards her with a sorrow deep in her eyes. She detested this ability. It was everything her family was, and something she didn't want to be. It erased an entire person's identity. Why was she given such an ability?

"...Let's clean this up," Selene motioned to the mess, her words tired and bereft of power now.

"Yeah..." Kiera smiled gently, and as Selene stood, she placed a comforting hand upon her shoulder, "Hey, I'm with you. We all are."

"I know, I just...if Jace knew of this ability, then..." Selene couldn't finish the sentence as the thought was too much for her.

"Honestly?" Kiera said, almost amused, "If anything...he'll be more surprised you're a St.Claire. The Heir, no less, but...he won't hate you."

"How can you be sure?" Selene wondered, though Kiera's words were oddly comforting.

"Well, I've known him longer than you," Kiera stated simply, which was the truth, "He knows what it means to do anything for those you love. He spent seven years and more doing just that."

"...I guess you're right," Selene smiled slightly, though worry still tinged her heart, "I want him to not be afraid. I don't want to lose him."

"That won't happen," Kiera said with confidence, "If he tries to leave, I'll just beat him into submission."

Selene knew she was just joking, but still gave her a warning look. Kiera laughed in response, gently patting her on the shoulder. Though, she quickly became serious.

"You were made to use your ability, weren't you?" Kiera asked, to which Selene nodded.

"My father did horrible things," She told her grimly, "He'd have me rewrite their memories, leaving just the fear or feeling of disgust. The torture I was taught...I shall use it to undo him."

"So, does he know you can do that?" Kiera motioned to where that man had disappeared.

"No," Selene shook her head, "He will figure it out eventually...if he lasts long enough. My goal is paranoia. To have him trust nothing and no one. Not even himself."

"...Not going to lie, that's horrifyingly devious," Kiera smiled lightly, amused, "I like it."

"I thought you might," Selene teased, nudging her playfully in the arm, "I dislike this ability, but that man...I will break him."

"Glad you're on our side," Kiera mumbled, waving her hand towards the blood, her magic beginning to clean it.

"Speaking of our side..." Selene glanced over at her as she lifted a body with her powers, "How was it? The kiss."

Kiera almost immediately became as red as the blood she was cleaning. The shifting in conversation catching her off-guard. Shooting a glare at Selene, who only laughed in amusement. Kiera's expression calmed down, the blush across her face softening. Slowly, her fingers went to her lips, lingering over them.

"It was..." Kiera's eyes filled with passion, "Hot."

Glancing over to Selene, she smiled mischievously. The two of them completely understood. Selene was teasing Kiera, as she had told her several times that Selene kissing him was always hot. Now, she had a taste of it herself.

The conversation soon turned towards Jace and Liana. He was making progress in his recovery, but still had a way to go. Despite Kiera's insistence on her to see him, Selene was happy to just hear he was relaxing. As long as he was safe, she was content, and she would ensure his recovery remained peaceful.

-----

Selene's ability is finally revealed. I apologize for not doing so earlier. I am indecisive, and still wasn't sure. Yet, this felt like it fit better. She's definitely a menace, as she was intended to be. Outside of her ability, she's incredibly strong. Even among other Paragons.

P.s. Next chapter will be a bit long.

9