Chapter 180: Parental Feelings
78 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 180:

Parental Feelings

It was a bright day in Neo City. Not because of the neon lights or the myriad of flowers blooming in the parks and various gardens. Nor was it because of the holographic ads that constantly played or the sun gleaming off of the various buildings.

No, it was because today was the day that Delilah, Jace's mother, was released from the hospital. He could hardly contain his excitement at the news when he heard it. His mother was the same. She had been antsy all day, waiting for the discharge to be approved.

"It's no less than a miracle," Dr. Gerard stated with a wide grin, "You're completely free of Mana Degeneration. You can go home."

"Please, Doctor," Delilah said with a grin of her own, "Don't diminish the hard work you've done. All of you, but especially you, Gerard. You've been taking care of me for so long. You have my thanks."

"It's the least I could do," he told her with watery eyes, "I'll be honest, when you were brought in...I thought that bastard finally snapped. I wasn't far from the truth, but...to see you make a full recovery is beyond what I could have imagined."

Delilah's smile grew warm. She was grateful for everything he had done for them. Her and her son. He had been taking care of them for a long time. She was grateful he had volunteered to take care of her. He was a good man.

"You tell your wife I say hi, yeah?" Delilah told him with teary eyes of her own.

"I definitely will," he replied through choked up words.

Olivia smiled down at Delilah. With one final goodbye to Doctor Gerard and Doctor Will, along with the myriad of nurses and other doctors Delilah got to know during her stay there, Olivia began to push her down the corridor in her hoverchair. Delilah felt good to be in normal clothing finally. Her skin was completely clear of those black veins as well.

She had never felt better.

As soon as she was pushed outside, Delilah's smile widened. Waiting for her was her son, Jace, with her future daughters-in-law.

"Hey, Mom," Jace greeted her warmly, "Did you say your goodbyes?"

"Of course," She stated, eyeing him curiously, "You seem...good."

She could sense something was different with her son. For as long as she's known him, which was all his life, he had always seemed to carry a certain weight with him. She noticed it had gotten a lot better when she had first woken from her coma, but now it felt like there was absolutely nothing holding him down.

It was strange, but in that moment, as he smiled at her, she suddenly saw him as a child. She was, of course, her child, but this was something different. In place of the young man before her, she saw the child he used to be, but instead of someone covered in bruises and with a stoic face, she saw him smiling brightly.

Her child, the child who had gone through such hardships because of her own failures..."No, let's not go there." She admonished herself. Her son didn't blame her, and so she would try her best not to blame herself either. It would be a lifelong journey, but it was better late than never to start.

Back to what she had been thinking. Her child that had gone through so much seemed to have a clear heart and mind. He was shining like a diamond who had once been coal. Something had happened between his last visit with her and now.

"Yeah," he nodded, reaching a hand out to her, "I am good. More than ever. I feel...clear."

She took her son's hand, and he helped her to stand. Together, the entered the vehicle awaiting them all. An extremely luxurious vehicle that she could hardly believe she was riding in. It's pristine, sleek black look with silver lining was nothing compared to the inside.

Lush with deep red cushions made it feel more like a sitting room than a vehicle. It came complete with a mini fridge with drinks and snacks if needed. It was still difficult to believe how far her son moved up in the world, and in turn...so did she.

"It's something else, isn't it?" Jace asked, breaking through her thoughts, "I know that look. I had the same one before when I saw a smaller version. Just wait till you see where we're living. So, don't be too surprised yet."

"It really is something, yes," She agreed as everyone else began to enter and the vehicle took off, "This is real, right? I know I've been in such a nice hospital, but...I still feel like I'm dreaming."

"Trust me, I know that feeling," Jace laughed, which sounded like a pure sound to her ears, "Hell, I still fel that way. Every morning when I wake up and see them..."

His gaze found the three girls sitting across from them. Olivia was sitting next to Delilah, which made Liana, Selene, and Kiera the three across from them. His face lit up with love, something that eased her motherly heart.

"You big sap," Liana teased him, "However, I know how you feel. Being with you is a dream come true. I only regret not doing so sooner..."

"Hey, none of that," Jace told her firmly, "I wasn't in the right headspace back then and you were worried about me for good reason. You know me better than I know myself. You have me now, so...be as selfish as you want now."

Liana smiled, a blush to her face. Delilah felt her heart warm at seeing such an interaction. She knew her son as well. Liana had just been trying to protect him by keeping her feelings secret. He would have pushed himself even harder if he had known back then.

She always remained by his side though, even when Kiera came into the picture. Delilah knew about them, her gaze shifting to the woman in question. She began dating Liana before Jace, but while some may see that as a betrayal, Delilah saw it as a necessity.

Her son was stubborn. Liana knew that forcing him or interfering would cause her to lose him back then. Liana couldn't let him be distracted by her own safety or her feelings for him. So, Liana took the opportunity to show him that she was safe so he could focus.

Things were different now. From what Delilah had heard, Kiera had helped to push Liana closer to Jace. To push her into confessing and getting over her own stubbornness and fears of losing Jace. At the same time, Kiera seemed to ensure that Jace wouldn't be a complete fool.

It was almost amusing to Delilah, as she saw how Kiera looked at him now. That complete and utter devotion of love in her eyes. Her son had his hands full.

This was made even more apparent as she arrived at the place she would be staying. A grand penthouse that felt more like a resort than a home. She was bewildered by it, but was more interested in one of the people who greeted them.

A woman named Briana. She looked at her son with a pure innocence that set her own heart on fire with the energy of youth. She also saw how her son looked at this woman. "This sly boy of mine...he's been busy." She mused to herself, but as a mother she was over the moon with joy.

She understood now what had changed in him. Catching the eye of Liana and the other girls, they all had a knowing look to them which they exchanged with her. A woman's intuition, if you would. They were all encouraging of this development and were watching silently.

There was a lot missing for her son growing up. One of them was the innocence of romance. That spark that often comes with your first crush. Liana had felt it, as had all of them, but Jace...he had been thrust into his romances, but this one was different. It was innocent.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Delilah greeted the Briana and two other girls, Gloria and Gabriel, "I'm Delilah, Jace's mother. It seems I'll be in your care. I look forward to getting to know you all."

She smiled brightly, grateful for all those who had been taking care of her son all this time.

"I-It's so bright..." She heard the woman named Gabriel mumble to Gloria.

"Behave," she was admonished by Gloria, but also agreed, "Though...you're not wrong."

Delilah laughed, and the atmosphere grew even warmer. She was ushered inside and shone to the room that would be hers. It was right next to Olivia's, who was surprised she even had a room.

"I...I'm living here too?" She asked in awe, looking towards her daughter, Selene.

"Of course," Selene answered simply, "You're my mother, and my mother-in-law's friend. On top of that, she may still need help."

"...Thank you," Olivia smiled warmly, and the two of them embraced, mother and daughter.

Delilah spotted the gentle smile Selene had on, and her heart ached for them. She was glad to be able to see such a touching moment between them. It wasn't the only thing that caught Delilah's knowing eyes. All three of her daughters-in-law were absolutely glowing.

It was just a hunch, but her motherly instincts were kicking in. However, before it was confirmed, Delilah wouldn't jump to conclusions. For now, she simply took everything in. Happy to be back into the world and by the side of her son.

-----

Jace was incredibly happy. His mother was finally cured of Mana Degeneration and was discharged from the hospital. She was going to be living with them, and Olivia was also joining them. They had both become closer to each other in the hospital, so he was glad that Selene was okay with it and had in fact suggested it.

They had even spent a little bit of time together lately, which warmed his heart. Seeing her get closer to her mother had been something he was grateful for. She really needed it. Both of them did.

"Love, could you bring your mother and mine to the sitting room on this floor?" Selene asked him, touching him gently on the arm.

They were just getting her settled in, his mother was looking around her room in awe. It was a large, roughly twenty by twenty-foot room with various angles so as to not make it a complete box of a room. It had a lovely view of her own personal courtyard, though...it was more like it was a shared courtyard between her and Olivia, whose room was just next door to hers.

He was happy to see them getting along. Both of them needed a good friend and support. Something they could provide for each other going forward. Right now, Olivia was helping her walk, as it was still a bit difficult for her, but she insisted on walking instead of being stuck in "that damn chair" as she called it.

"Yeah, is everything alright?" Jace asked, looking at her with a bit of concern.

"Mhm," Selene nodded, squeezing his hand as she leaned down and kissed him gently on the cheek, "Everything is perfect. Get her settled, then meet us there, alright? There's something I wish to discuss."

"Okay, I love you," Jace smiled, giving her hand a tender squeeze before letting go.

He wondered what it was that she wanted to talk about that she couldn't just tell him now. He didn't give it much thought because he knew she would tell him soon. He was simply enjoying watching his mothers, Olivia and Delilah, look around their rooms.

His mother's room was in soft, neutral tones of beige and brown. She enjoyed those colors. Said they were calming, and so they had the entire room made in that style. Her king-sized bed was decorated with many pillows and soft, high count threaded blankets.

Olivia, on the other hand, liked a bit darker colors similar to her daughter, but with a bit more of a classy vibe. Black and brown were the main colors, with accented gold. It looked honestly cozy with a nice couch to relax on and a king-sized bed of her own.

Outside in the courtyard were planted his mother's favorite flowers. Daisies. Liana had specifically helped grow them. They were healthy and vibrant. He was grateful for her help.

"Hey, hate to interrupt the two of you," Jace leaned against the sliding glass door to the courtyard, "Apparently the girls want to discuss something? If you two are settled, I'll help you to the sitting room of this level."

"Of this level?" His mother mused, "This place is so big...I wonder how long it'll take me to figure it all out."

"You'll get there," Jace smiled, "Olivia can help, I'm sure."

"First, I have to get used to it myself," Olivia replied with a light laugh.

The two of them were looking at the daisies when he had approached them. This courtyard held a small pond with clear water resting within it. Green grass and beautiful bushes helped to add some color to the cobblestone walkway and circular garden table.

"Well, lead the way, son," Delilah smiled, walking over to him.

He held out his arm, which she took gladly. He couldn't have been prouder to see her walking again. His heart felt like it would burst from his chest at the emotion he felt from seeing her walk on her own...well, relatively on her own.

There was wonder and awe in the air as she looked around at everything with wide eyes. It was different architecture than she was used to. The modern, sleek geometric design still held Jace in wonder sometimes. The pristine nature of everything felt so distant from the drabness of their home in The Stacks. It was the last place his mother remembered living.

Seeing her smile at being here made him incredibly happy. There were times he missed his old apartment though. It had been cozy, and held a lot of memories, but those memories were now here, and more were to be made.

Finally, they arrived at the sitting room. Inside were Liana, Selene, and Kiera waiting for them. There was also Briana, Gabriel, and Gloria. To Jace's surprise, he also saw Balek.

"Balek!?" Jace exclaimed in surprise, "When the hell did you get here?"

"Just now," He grinned, "Liana called me earlier. Hell of a place you got here."

"Heh, yeah," Jace chuckled, "I'm sorry I didn't invite you until now."

"Nonsense," Balek shook his head, "You've been busy, and I got Radiance to run, but...now look at this. You're walking! Ha! You look good, Delilah. Holding up?"

"Always, Balek, always," Delilah answered him tenderly.

Jace helped her over to him, and he embraced her in a warm, gentle hug. It looked like he was trying his best not to break her, as if she was a porcelain doll. In truth, he wouldn't be far off. His mother was still weak, even if she recovered some of her strength.

"You big lug," Delilah whispered as he released her, her hand cupping his cheek, "Have you been eating well? Your face looks gaunt."

"Ah...no, I'm fine," Balek reassured her, "Liana makes sure I eat...as does Nadine."

"Speaking of, my love," Liana spoke up to Jace, "I know she's probably here, but...do you think you could let her show herself?"

Jace glanced past Balek to where Nadine was floating in her teal appearance. She smiled at him affectionately.

"Looks like they have something important to say," Nadine told him, "They gathered all of us. Are you okay to summon me? You've been doing so a lot for Balek..."

"I'm good," Jace told her with a smile, his eyes glowing that beautiful, yet eerie aquamarine, "I wanted to introduce you to everyone else anyways."

"To everyone, or that Briana I've heard about," Nadine teased, her eyes glinting knowingly.

Jace blushed and glared at her playfully. It seemed like she had been spying on him without his knowledge, but he wasn't upset.

That same mist appeared within the room as Nadine became roughly corporeal. She was still a ghost, but was now visible and could interact with things. Jace anchored her here and released his power. They had a while now for her to stay here.

"Hey, Nadie," his mother greeted her and the two of them embraced, "It's always good to see you."

"You too, Lilah, you too," Nadine replied lovingly.

Jace helped his mother sit down afterwards, as he was worried she'd strain herself too much. She waved a dismissive hand at him, but otherwise didn't put up much of a fight. He introduced Nadine to Briana, as well as Gloria and Gabriel. They had heard about her before, since she was Balek's wife, but never met her.

Briana was excited to greet her. As Nadine went to hold her hand, Briana in her usual manner was overcome with emotion. Throwing her arms around her instead and hugging her tightly.

"Thank you for being there for Jace," Briana mumbled to Nadine, "It's so good to meet you!"

"...You're an interesting one," Nadine replied back with a smile, returning her hug, "It's a pleasure to meet you as well. I hear you've also been taking care of my boy?"

Nadine shot a glance at Jace, causing him to roll his eyes. Was everyone so perceptive? Even his mother, Delilah, seemed to notice the affection Briana and Jace held for each other. Neither had really admitted to these feelings, but that seemed to be okay with them for now.

Just like with Rachel, he was taking things a little bit slower. He wanted to just enjoy his time with them, but soon...he would ask them both out. One thing at a time though.

Turning to his Angels, he saw that they were all sitting together. This left him to sit next to his mother and Briana. Balek took his own chair, while Olivia, Gloria, and Gabriel, all shared another couch.

"So, we're here," Jace took a deep breath, "I can't say I'm not nervous...seeing your smiling, mischievous faces."

Their smiles grew even brighter with his words.

"You should be nervous," Kiera teased him.

"Oh, don't tease him," Liana nudged her playfully, "Though, I'm quite nervous myself suddenly..."

"Well, then let me start this," Selene looked at Kiera and Liana with a fond gaze, "It's something we were a bit too excited to tell everyone, as we wanted to wait until Delilah and my mother had time to settle in here, but..."

Selene's eyes met Jace's in that moment. They seemed to dazzle, a sparkling glow to them. Jace could see in her eyes a nervous excitement that he hadn't seen in a while. Something clicked in his head as his eyes widened. She smiled in amusement.

"You always seem to be uncannily perceptive in the right moments, love," Selene told him, his excitement rising, "I'm incredibly nervous, so...I'll need your help going forward."

"Always," He stated without hesitation, his own anxiety rising, "Now...before my mother rips my hand out, can you tell us what's going on?"

His mother was looking on with excitement, holding his hand tightly. Her grip only getting tighter with the anticipation. Selene laughed lightly, and the girls looked amongst themselves before nodding. Liana glanced at her parents, who among them only Nadine seemed to have caught on.

Shortly after, Balek seemed to come around as a sparkle entered his eye. Olivia held a hand to her mouth in pleasant surprise, tears already forming before they announced it. Gloria and Gabriel looked on in disbelief. Briana, for her part, was being Briana. She was practically bouncing with excitement.

"You're our family and friends..." Selene said, then took a deep breath before continuing, "So, we wanted you all here to tell you. I...no, we, are pregnant."

She motioned to Kiera and Liana when she said we. Jace had figured it out the moment he saw that look in Selene's eye. It was the same look she had when they had talked about kids before. She had been nervous about being a parent. He was as well.

They both were concerned about repeating the mistakes of their fathers. However, in that moment it all was washed away as Briana leapt to hug Jace in happiness for him. He could only stare in wonder and awe at his Angels.

"Congratulations!" Briana exclaimed happily for him.

"I'm...going to be a father?" He asked as he could hardly believe it, "Truly? All of you?"

"Mhm," Liana nodded, holding a hand over her stomach, "Isn't that something?"

She looked up at him with loving eyes heavy with desire and mischief.

"All of us at once, you naughty boy," Liana teased him.

Olivia's tears were in full force as she was happy for her daughter. Selene looked at her with gentleness and care. She was touched by her mother's reaction, Jace could tell. His own mother smiled with tears in her eyes. Even Balek wasn't without watery eyes.

"You big sap," Nadine teased him as she elbowed him playfully, sniffling herself.

It was in that moment that Jace noticed something. Liana and Selene had their family and friends. Even Jace did, but...Kiera didn't have anyone besides them.

Freeing himself from Briana, he smiled at her and excused himself. Briana nodded, taking to conversing with his mother. Selene was surrounded by her mother, Gloria, and Gabriel. Liana was over by her father and mother, as well as talking to his mother and Briana.

Jace made his way over to Kiera, kneeling down before her. His hand touching hers gently as she looked a little dejected. She jumped a bit as if caught off-guard. When she saw it was him, she smiled gently at him.

"Hey, Hun," She spoke softly, "You're going to be a father, isn't that something?"

"Yeah..." He replied just as softly, "You're going to be a mother. Now isn't that something."

"Hey!" She laughed lightly before her smile faded and her expression turned soft, yet sad, "I'll...be a good mother...won't I?"

Jace's heart ached as he heard the concern and pain in her voice. Her parents sold her to Biorganix. She didn't have a family. Jace understood in that moment that she had the same concerns as Selene and him.

"My lovely Blossom," Jace spoke affectionately, cupping her face in his free hand and sat next to her, "You'll be a wonderful mother. You're smart. You'll teach our little blossom so many things. We'll have to ensure they don't get into legal troubles with all the hacking they'll know."

"Heh...as if they'll get caught," She replied, "If they're our kid, they'll-"

Her words were cut off as he kissed her lovingly before embracing her. Pulling her head to his shoulder, he held her tenderly while stroking her hair.

"W-What's all this for?" She asked shyly.

"...Just because," he whispered to her, "You're my family, Kiera. I didn't realize how much it must be hurting for you...seeing everyone like this, but...you belong here."

"Damn your uncanny perception," Kiera mumbled, nuzzling against him almost desperately, "I just...I wish they didn't throw me away...why? Was I such a mistake? I want to share this moment with everyone, and I thought I would be able to, but it hit me...my parents could be dead for all know, and to them...well, they probably know I'm alive now. If they even care. I...don't want to make the same mistakes as them."

"You're not a mistake," Jace told her with all the love and passion he could muster, "You are a beautiful and amazing person. It's their mistake. They are unworthy of you. I promise you, you won't make the same mistakes as them."

"...How do you know?" She asked softly, pain in her voice.

"Because, my love," Jace tilted her face up towards him and he smiled down at her while looking lovingly into her eyes, "You have us. You have me. I will be there every step of the way. They did what they did, but you know...that brought you to me. I will never let you go or throw you away. You're mine and you're here to stay, as is our child."

Kiera smiled with pain in her eyes, but Jace wasn't about to leave it at that.

"The reason why I know, my love, is simple..." Jace brushed her hair gently out of her eyes, "You won't be like them because you have a heart. A heart that burns with a passion to be better and to make the live you deserve. Well, I'll give you the life you deserve. All the love that they could never give and then some. Everything."

"Everything?" her smile grew and the pain in her eyes were fading.

Lifting her left hand where the ring on her finger was, he held it firmly as he gazed into her eyes with unwavering conviction.

"Everything," he stated firmly.

It was at that point that she giggled and kissed him softly. Pulling away, she rested her head into his neck.

"Thank you, Hun," she whispered relaxing against him, "For cheering me up and reminding me of who I am."

"Always," he told her, "It's what you'd do for me. I love you. You're mine and I am yours, and that means I will not let anything or anyone harm you. Even if it is your own thoughts. I'll fight them. Don't tell me I won't."

She giggled again, nuzzling into his neck as she smiled. It was at that moment Jace noticed that almost everyone was looking at them. The room was silent, yet the atmosphere was warm as everyone had tender expressions, even Gabriel who liked to put up a tough front.

Jace quickly grew embarrassed, but it was tempered by the fact that Kiera was happier. He felt it as she sent her appreciation through their connection. She was deeply touched by his words and the attention he gave her.

He would do anything and give everything for those he loved.

-----

Yes, it's finally happened. The original three girls are pregnant! Advanced technology and medical science is able to predict things a lot better in this world, and is capable of helping it happen if the girls are ready. Though, it will be a bit before you see the little tykes. Thank you as always for reading!

2