The reveal
55 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s only been a year since I married Paul, but everything is already beginning to spiral out of control way too fast. His drinking and losing his job. Which I don’t doubt for a second is because of his addiction to whiskey and rum. Or should I say his ‘liquid courage’, at least that’s what he calls it. To top it all off I also missed my period last month and I’m starting to worry that I might be pregnant with a man who doesn’t love me, unless he’s had a few drinks. My nerves amplify as I look down at the pregnancy test lying on the bathroom counter.

Being a mother is something I always wanted and what I thought I wanted with Paul. I had to sit down, and the edge of the bathtub is the lucky spot but waiting for the test to reveal the results is making me sick to my stomach. He’s not father material, not now. Maybe if I told him he was going to be one he’d go back to being who he was before the honeymoon ended. My nerves calm at that thought, seeing his face light up with his smile that always somehow could reach his bright green eyes. Heck even I begin to smile slightly at that thought. Just that sliver of hope brought excitement at the possible outcome.

The timer goes off. I stand slowly and my legs start to shake as I begin to close the short gap between the tub and the counter.

“Oh my…” that’s all I could say before Paul starts pounding on the bathroom door.

“Hailey! Are you almost done in there!” Paul’s words slurring slightly.

“Yes, just, just hold on for a quick second,” I stutter as I shove the pregnancy test into the trash can.

I could tell by the way he was shouting he was drunk, and now would not be a good time to reveal the good news.

I open the door slowly, so I wouldn’t startle him. Paul is leaning against the wall, his tall frame looming over me. His red hair striking against the pinks and purples of the sunset that was shining through the hallway window. He his eyes following my every move, like he’s a wild animal and I’m his prey. Hunger filling his eyes as he checks me out, lust begins to glaze over his eyes/

“You’ve gained some weight, don’t you think?” The lust that was there quickly vanishes as Paul notices my new figure.

I look up at him tears wanting to overflow but I wouldn’t allow myself to cry, at least not in front of him. He didn’t need to know his words cut me like a knife. Didn’t need to know how much he hurts me.

“Yeah, I guess I have. You know that does happen when you’re expecting.” I cover my mouth. I didn’t mean to tell him that way. I was just so tired of him bullying me and him treating me like garbage.

“What?” Paul just keeps staring at me dumb founded like he couldn’t believe what he just heard.

“We’re having a baby, Paul.”

“We?”

I nod. “Yes, and that means you need to cut back on the drinking and start working again I can’t feed three mouths on my salary.”

Paul shakes his head like he was in disbelief. I can’t believe how he is acting. Even though he is drunk, I thought he would at least respond differently. He turns and starts to walk away.

“Paul, are you going to say anything else? Aren’t you happy?” I can’t believe I even had to ask him that question.

“No, I’m not because I know the baby isn’t mine. I know you’ve been cheating on me Hailey!” Paul turns on his heels quickly, hand raised like he is about ready to hit me. I raise my arm up quickly blocking my face. Luckily, I was able to block his hand in enough time before he could strike my face. “Pack your bags and leave I don’t even want to see you in my house. The house I provided for you!”

I shake my head, tears falling from my eyes, “Yeah but who’s been paying for it?” This time it is me who walks away.

 Packing my bags hastily, not really caring, I just needed to get out of here, needed to get away from Paul. There was no more love in his eyes, not even a speck of gratitude for what I’ve been doing this past year. I didn’t have anywhere to go, didn’t have any friends, well close friends to turn to. As I was finishing up packing the thought came to me, the only place I could go. I could stay at work there was an empty office at the end of the hall that no one used expect to store old office furniture. That would be perfect at least until I can get back on my feet.

 

The drive to the office building felt longer than usual, probably because of the scene that kept playing through my mind. I still couldn’t believe he acted that way, so childish. Sighing I turn into the parking lot. I drive past my bosses, Lucas and Mark. My heart skips a beat and for a split second my mind begins to wonder what they would look like with their shirts off.

I return my gaze back to the parking lot to continue to look for a parking space near the office entrance. Luckily, I found something close and it wouldn’t be too long of a haul later when I would have to bring up my suitcase and travel bag.

I make sure to smile cheerfully at everyone I pass in the halls. Keeping the facade going. My office was just a small cubicle outside of Lucas and Mark’s offices, so I could assist them in whatever they needed, whether it was coffee or checking their schedules for meetings. Their friendly smiles and their appreciation made the pay worth working here. As their assistant I didn’t get paid much, I could barely keep up with the bills and putting food on the table. Now I’m homeless and pregnant, I look down at my hands as I sit myself in my chair while taking in a deep breath to steady my nerves.

I do what I always do in the morning, checking today’s schedule and writing them down to give to Lucas and Mark. I finish writing down today's meetings before grabbing their cups of coffee. Walking slowly to make sure I don’t spill anything, it wouldn’t be the first time and it probably won't be the last, if I do spill something.

I open the door to Mark’s office. “I brought you your coffee and the list of meetings for today.” I give him his coffee cup and the list of his meetings.

“Thank you.” Mark’s husky voice floats my way.

I smile at him, “You're very welcome, Mark.”

“If you need anything please let me know.”

Mark and I have a good relationship but so do Lucas and I. Three of us get along great. I leave Mark’s office and walks into Lucas’s office to give him his coffee and his list of meetings.

“Here you go, Lucas. Your coffee and list of meetings.”

Lucas takes his cup and takes a drink. Then looks over his list

“Are you going to say anything?”

“Hey, I was thirsty,” Lucas smiles charmingly at me.

I wave my hand to dismiss his half assed apology, “I know but I have to give you a hard time and you know that.”

Lucas nods, “Yeah I guess you’re right about that one.” He says playfully.

Lucas is more of the goofball and Mark the serious one but trust me they both pull their weight around here. I’ve seen Lucas work late a lot while Mark goes back home to take care of his sick mother. Maybe that’s why Mark is always so serious. All work and no play, at least that what it seems like.

“Well if you need me you know where to find me.”

The day was uneventful, and it was getting close for everyone to call it an evening.

“Hey, Hailey, aren’t you heading home?” Sarah, one of the marketing team members, asked sweetly in her southern accent.

I shake my head, “No, I’m working late, I have a few papers I have to finish editing for Mark for one of his big business meetings tomorrow.”

Sarah nods, “Just don’t overwork yourself now. Okay?”

I nod and smile, hiding the lie for the fear of losing my job. She waves before catching up with one of her office friends chatting loudly about some hot hunk, she met at the bar last night. I shake my head holding back a small laugh, Sarah was a flirt, a sweet girl from Georgia. I remember when she experienced her first huge snowstorm here in Montana, she swore up and down she was going to leave once it cleared back up and head back down south. I guess Montana grew on her.

          I make sure everyone is gone before I bring my bags up and place them in the unused office space. I then place an order for Chinese food with what little money I did have, whatever leftovers I would end up having I’d store them in the fridge in the break room. I have everything I could need here for now, sighing heavily I dial the number to the closest restaurant.

2