Chapter FIFTEEN
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Why us too? I have a really bad feeling about this," Ethan asked suspiciously.

Irina was gathering the weapons and ammunition boxes to store and seal them in the cabin in the garden. Mia looked disappointed at the prospect of stopping learning to shoot so quickly, but the Vila was not unhappy that the activity was over. He didn't trust the technology behind those guns, and the deafening noise they made when the blonde pulled the trigger gave him a headache. It seemed so easy to hurt someone with such a weapon that he found it hard to be comfortable with the idea of ​​hundreds of humans wielding them.

His relief was however of very short duration since the anguish replaced it very quickly. He had hoped that the rebels would leave them alone for at least a few days, while they recovered from their emotions and Vassili was somewhat forgotten. However, the presence of the young couple had been requested, and he already knew that his brother's announcement marked the end of their tranquility. They hadn't agreed to fight, but they wouldn't escape minimal involvement in town affairs, he knew that very well.

"I don't know, but they had planned to leave you alone today," Adam explained, confirming his little brother's first hypothesis. "If something happened and they ask you to come, it's about you."

The host couple went inside the house first, inviting the pair to follow them. Mia had already started to walk, but Ethan grabbed her arm before she could rush into the living room. The questioning eyes of the young woman met those worried of the Vila.

"We shouldn't go there, they'll try to manipulate us or force us to fight," he whispered, venom in his voice as he thought of the vampire.

"Ethan," Mia sighed. "Adam said it's about us, don't you wanna know what it's about? Besides, I don't think they're going to leave us alone if what happened involves us. You can just stay here if you want, but I want to know what's going on."

He let go of her arm with a grunt, annoyed by her unhealthy curiosity. She could never help but want to know everything, even when it was against her interest. The fact that they were bonded hadn't softened her need to contradict him and do as she pleased. It wasn't that he didn't like her to stand up to him and express and own up to her opinions – on the contrary, his Vila appreciated her bossy and wild side – but, now that their fates were linked, he would have liked to have a minimum say in the situation. She knew very well that he would not let her venture alone into what looked more like a trap than an invitation to drink tea, it was not even worth pretending otherwise. The mischievous smile she displayed when he followed her confirmed to her that she was perfectly aware of it.

Never mind. If Vassili tries to involve us again in their problems, I'll tear his head off, it's a way like any other to settle the situation. Don't tell me I'm too careful because I obviously wasn't enough.

A few minutes later, Irina dropped Liam off at the neighbor's who obviously had a habit of babysitting the young Vila at totally inopportune times since she happily agreed to watch him. She was an elderly human with gray hair and a face lined from decades of life. Everything about her radiated a feeling of tenderness and caring, but Ethan couldn't help but wonder how she managed to survive the energy of a toddler when it was obvious that she was struggling to make her old bones work properly. While the three of them found themselves waiting for Irina to return after chatting with the elderly lady for a few moments in her home, Mia gave in to her growing concern.

"Do you think I could ask them if Lily and Arry are okay? Maybe Andrei has some news..."

Mia's question reminded his mind that he had bigger issues than wondering if his nephew's nanny was able to take care of him. Ethan had no friends at the Arena and cared little about what happened to the students after the humans declared war, but he suspected things must be turbulent.

"He used her to get to us, do you really think he cared about her?" he replied bitterly.

"I know, but... They should at least know what's going on at the Arena, right? I'd be surprised if everyone went back to their little business as if nothing had happened after the tournament... Maybe the werewolves took the opportunity to get revenge, and as Andrei had provoked them..."

"If they want revenge, they will do it against us, not against your friends," interrupted Adam who had listened to their conversation.

"Why did you kill the werewolf back then? Was it really necessary?" Mia asked her soul mate's brother since he seemed aware of all the events of those few weeks.

"Would you believe us if I told you it was an accident?"

"Do you often kill someone by accident?" Ethan chuckled.

"We're at war, Ethan. There are bound to be losses on both sides. Andrei just had to stir up a bit of trouble to cover his tracks, there was never any question of killing anyone at this stage of the operation. It didn't go as planned, but it ended up serving us."

0