Chapter THIRTY SIX
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the discussions concerning the operation finally came to an end, the whole group dispersed to attend to their last occupations before departure, except for Ellana who had the task of accompanying the couple until they would be ready to go. If Mia had understood the rebels' exchanges correctly, the chief would not participate in this mission for the simple and good reason that her presence was not necessary, quite the contrary. All participants were werewolves or vampires, except for Andrei and another magician accompanying Zerkan's squad. It was for a very simple reason: they had to be as discreet as possible and seeing in the dark was a significant bonus, which was not an innate skill for humans. Besides, Callis needed its leader, the mission was too risky.

She had first taken them for a walk to the armory one floor above, as much to introduce them to the place as to suggest that they equip themselves with additional weapons or gadgets. There were three different storage rooms: one mainly contained firearms, another more traditional with old and rarer weapons such as swords or bows, and one narrower than the others which was overflowing with small objects and scrolls. The blonde assumed it was a magical armory, which Ellana confirmed by presenting them with some gadgets.

"You should take a magic vial or two with you," she advised, clutching a receptacle filled with yellow powder between her fingers. "These bottles, in particular. Just sprinkle the powder on someone to make them fall asleep. Throwing it at the person's feet also works, the powder is quite volatile."

"Looks like what Lily used to put Oz to sleep, remember?" Mia asked the Vila.

"It's the same powder," Ellana confirmed, immediately understanding what the young human was talking about. Maybe slightly less time effective than when crafted by a fairy, but it's the same active ingredient.

"Maybe we should get a vial or two..." Mia guessed, slipping them into her jacket pockets. "You never know, if guards surprise us..."

The next stop took them right up the cliff, to a place the couple never thought they'd visit. Being at the ground level of the city and even the stairs surrounding the Heart, seeing what was on the top of the cliff was simply impossible. They would never have suspected the view that awaited them after climbing the many stairs and crossing the top floor which served mainly as a warehouse and a reserve of food and objects of all kinds.

After climbing a hundred steps that separated them from the office of the armory at the top of the cliff, their feet finally trod the hot rock of the highest point of the city. If Mia's wide eyes weren't enough indication of her amazement at the creatures in front of her, her gaping mouth was.

Ellana hadn't warned them that they were going to meet the wyverns and, if Ethan was not at all impressed by the creatures since he already knew them, this was not the case for Mia. There was a huge wooden structure, open on the facade facing them, which was made up of several boxes accommodating about twenty creatures. There was also another building setback in which she could see some equipment through the windows, and a waterhole the size of a small pond right in the middle of the cliff. Five majestic acacia trees were scattered all along the rock, allowing a few wyverns to shelter from the sun. They were completely free, although they were never alone and there was always someone to take care of them.

One of them in particular rose a few meters in the air to move towards the trio and land alongside Ellana who approached to stroke its head. The creature clearly recognized the woman and must even like her, judging by how she pushed her snout against the palm of her hand.

"This is Taure, my favorite," revealed the General of the Resistance.

Mia was simply speechless to see the creature up close. She would never have believed that such an animal could exist. Her appearance frightened her as much as it fascinated her. She could easily reach the height of two meters fifty by getting up on her two hind legs strewn with sharp claws that scraped the ground. It was quite simply a chimera, a mix between a fox's head with endless ears, so pointed they were, a long hairy tail that the creature trailed on the ground behind it, and gigantic front legs on which bat wings were attached. The very physiognomy of her limbs was a mixture of the bony structure of a classic canine and claws worthy of reptiles. The wyvern had the potential to sweep her away with a swipe of her wings or tear her skin with a single kick of her paw, yet the animal seemed totally harmless quite the contrary.

"You can pet her, she won't hurt you," Ellana reassured her, seeing her hesitate.

The young human timidly approached the creature who placed on her small human silhouette a curious look devoid of any aggression. She moved further until her fox head could sniff her hair before Mia tried to lay her hand on the hairs of her scalp. The wyvern was calm, closing her eyes, enjoying the touch of the young human who began to scratch her behind the ears as she would have done with a dog or a cat. A smile formed on her lips when she felt the animal press her head against her fingers to encourage her to continue petting.

"Taure is the most docile of the wyverns and the wisest. You will fly with her. Tishuan is going to teach you the basics of wyvern-backed flight when he deigns to point the tip of his nose. You need to be comfortable enough in the saddle to handle a two-hour trip."

"I know how to ride, even though it's been a long time since I had the chance," Ethan announced as if nothing had happened.

"Of course," she scoffed. "I should have guessed from the wealth of your family. Well, it will make it easier for your trip."

The Vila was not offended by the mocking tone of the leader. She was only telling the truth, after all. Mia didn't know what a privileged childhood in a magical world was like, but she suspected that he had certainly lacked nothing from a material point of view. Money could buy many things, in this world as in his.

"Wait," she exclaimed suddenly, half panicked when the obvious hit her. "Are we going to fly now?"

At the same time, Tishuan, the head of the healers and flight instructor, had just joined them, bypassing the wyvern still enjoying the young human's caresses.

"Ready for your flying lesson?"

0