Chapter 22: The paths divide
369 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

10th day of the 6th month of the year 423, the second era of Ascension.

Cedarstone Forest, Forest Dungeon.

 

It had been 3 days since Reilanis had revealed everything to her family and they had begun to prepare for what was to come. They were now leaving the dungeon carrying all the equipment they would need for their respective journeys.

The 3 younger ones carried a significant amount of things in their respective Inventories, although some were better carried outside for easier access. This applied in the case of Neminah, who carried most potions and bandages, in case of emergency in a small backpack on her back. While Elisa and Miriam carried things like the map of the region and compasses, as well as water-filled wineskins.

Vistelia on the other hand carried only a small rucksack, hidden under her cloak. Inside, she had things like a travel journal, a map, some knives for skinning prey, and items for preparing campfires, among other things.

They had walked to a clearing near the dungeon entrance, where they would split off to their missions.

"Listen. - Reilanis announced in her strong voice. - "Although we don't know when the upcoming chaos will start, the best we can do is to prepare for the worst. Miriam, Elisa, and Neminah, your mission is to level up as much as possible and exterminate any monster that could be considered dangerous or harmful to the forest. During this 6-day trip, I want you to learn how to fight together, to work as a team, got it?"

"Yes, ma'am!" shouted all 3 in unison. They were positioned in a line, listening attentively to Reilanis' little speech.

The Oni nodded.

" Good, that's the enthusiasm I was hoping to see. Miriam."

"Y-yes!"

"You're in charge of the group."

"Yes, ma'am...! Wait... What!?"

"You heard me, this time you're the leader."

"But why me?"

"Yeah, why her? I don't think she's the best fit."

After hearing Elisa's words, the cub looked at her angrily, ready to start a fight.

The Oni raised her eyebrow, and averted her gaze to Lia, almost asking what she should do, but the elf only returned an amused, almost mocking expression and a shrug of her shoulders. Reilanis could do nothing but sigh and answer them. She clapped her hands loudly to get their attention.

"Calm down you two. I made this decision after considering it for a long time. - she replied in her strong, authoritative voice. - While Elisa is the one who is most accustomed to this type of mission, she is also the one who knows the least how to work in a team or even lead others."

"..."

The blonde couldn't argue anything against it. It was true and it hurt her pride. Miriam threw her a mocking look as payback.

"Miriam, don't feel so superior, you still make a lot of mistakes when it comes to fighting, especially against smaller or humanoid-shaped monsters."

This time it was the cub's turn to go silent. Her slightly embarrassed face was enough to realize how true Reilanis' words were.

"Still, she is the only one among the 3 who can carry a battle against much bigger opponents. And the biggest reason why I put her as the leader is that she is the only one who understands all the roles in a party since she is used to that when hunting with me. - Reilanis let out a small proud smile. - She's already proven that when I've sent her out to explore the forest on multiple occasions."

"..."

"Maybe it doesn't seem like the best of reasons to you, but knowing how to take advantage of your companions' strengths, when to attack and when to retreat, is the most essential thing in a group, especially in a leader. That can be the difference between life and death, and it is also the reason why many adventuring groups fail and end up being wiped out, or succeed and make it to the top. Both Vistelia and I have experienced those kinds of situations, so I want you to use this experience and understand what it means to be a team, and what it takes to be a leader."

Vistelia looked suspiciously at Reilanis after those words, sensing that there was some other motive behind her actions.

Both Miriam and Elisa had fallen silent after her little speech. The cub even had a small happy smile for receiving what could qualify as high praise from her mother. Elisa on her side couldn't say anything about it. When she was still acting as an adventurer, back in the days when they still traveled the continent, she had gotten too used to working alone. Despite being a mage, she could protect herself and had a great ability to accomplish her quests without the need for companions. But that was in easier environments, in small hunting grounds, where the monsters were of relatively low levels and were not as numerous. This is when her lack of experience became painfully obvious. Even though Elisa was very meticulous in her work, it was not the same as being a good leader, or, for that matter, knowing how to make use of her companions' abilities. Something that Miriam had much more experience with, having been taught directly by both Reilanis and Vistelia, two adventurers who have worked for years in different groups and on large-scale missions. In addition, she has been able to "command" the dryads and nymphs in Orpheanus' service, in small missions of exploration and extermination of monsters in the forest.

"Any other questions?"

"..."

"Good. Now, the monsters you are going to encounter on your journey will be few in variety, but large in both size and number. Your main target is the mountain trolls. They are about 10 feet tall and ugly as hell. They usually use tree trunks as clubs because of their enormous strength and size. You already have experience dealing with such weapons by fighting with me and my Kanabo, so it shouldn't be too complicated to understand their attack patterns. But remember, they have a longer range, and, although they usually go solo, you may encounter them in small groups of 2 to 5 individuals, so before you start a fight, make sure they are alone, and if they aren't don't hesitate to run if necessary."

After that, both Reilanis and Vistelia told them about the fauna around the mountains, going from orcs, mountain goblins, a gray-skinned variant that inhabit caves and prey on orcs, and some other local beasts. Also, beware of harpies and storm crows that inhabit the cliffs, and be especially wary of Raisheeps. A kind of sheep that store large amounts of electricity in their wool, which they use as their defense and attack, making them very dangerous.

Having had a few more tips and Vistelia pointed out to them on her map the safest places to camp, they decided it was time to leave.

"One last warning. Wyverns are treacherous, and can appear out of nowhere, so, when you are crossing the mountain roads, pay close attention to the sky. They are stealthy hunters and barely make a sound as they swoop down to attack. It's unlikely you'll find any far from their territory, but it's best to keep an eye out, got it?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

"Very well. Go and return victorious. Riri, I have total confidence that you can do well."

Miriam gave her a big smile and a nod, bidding farewell to her mother and the elf.

Reilanis only reminded them to keep the most important items from each monster and to bring some orc meat with them on their return as they walked away.

Lani and Lia watched them leave and disappear into the trees in the direction of the mountains. They both let out a worried sigh, hoping that the girls were doing well.

"So, what was that about 'what it takes to be a leader' Lani?"

"Something they need to realize themselves."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm sure Elisa will try to overanalyze what I said, but she'll probably come to the wrong conclusion. Neminah, she'll be fine because she understands her own role very well."

"And Miriam?"

"That is what I want to know. Riri has a good head on her shoulders. She can understand and analyze things quite well when she focuses on it. What she lacks is..."

"Confidence, huh? I've noticed. So, that's why you put her in as a leader?"

"Partly. It's also because Elisa isn't good at it."

"Wow, that was quite blunt."

"You know I'm right. Elisa is too prideful for her own good. She wouldn't admit a mistake, even if something serious happened, and if that happened, it would end up dooming them. Miriam IS the best choice because she understands that and knows that keeping them all alive is the most important thing."

"I see you put a lot of thought into it. I'm proud of you."

Vistelia walked up to Reilanis and gave her a sweet kiss on the cheek, causing her to smile and blush. The Oni just coughed a little to get rid of the embarrassment and returned to the subject.
"Anyway, we should talk about you now."

"Yes, ma'am!" the elf replied with exaggerated enthusiasm and a soldier's pose.

During the conversation, they discussed her first destination, Tagal. Gathering everything she could about the current situation in the city was essential. Any economic anomalies, bandit groups in the vicinity, anything she could find that was suspicious. Immediately, ask everything people know about the third princess. Any kind of rumor might unravel the motive that would lead her to travel through the forest.

"It's possible that I won't find anything useful about her in Tagal and will have to travel to the capital."

"I thought the same thing. But rumors in border towns might have information that could be important, even if they don't seem so. They're usually less strict about the things that are talked about in border towns, so sometimes the rantings of some drunk in a bar can end up being useful."

"I'll keep that in mind. *sigh* I think this whole trip might take me longer than a month."

"More than a month, huh? It'll be hard not having you around for that long."

"Oh? Are you going to miss me that much?"

"Leave it, you know what I mean."

"Hmm, I wonder?"

" Listen here, you little naug-."

Again taking the initiative, Vistelia jumped in to devour her beloved's lips. Reilanis, though taken by surprise, let herself be carried away by the moment, enjoying the sensation of the elf's soft lips against her own, the fruity taste of her saliva as well as the sweet smell that caused her...

"*Ahem* I think we should stop here."

Vistelia, let out a soft mocking laugh then stopped as her beloved requested, understanding that it was not the right time to engage in that kind of act.

"Fine, fine, but when I come back, you better hang out with me. I'm going to need a lot more of... - Vistelia licked her lips sensually and looked at her with eyes flashing with lust. Reilanis could only swallow silently as she saw the lascivious expression, she was giving her. - My cute Lani."

"O-okay, enough pervy elf."

"Hehehe."

A small, comfortable silence formed between the two. They shared a smile and happy look then gave each other a gentle hug. Vistelia seemed caught up in her thoughts for a moment, blushing a little, before letting out a sigh and softly addressing her partner.

"Lani, do you... think we should tell the others about us?"

"You mean when we're all together again?"

Vistelia nodded softly.

"I think that would be a good idea. I don't want to keep it from them for too long. Besides, Elisa..."

"D-don't remind me."

"Hahaha, now who's the embarrassed one? - Vistelia pouted at her words, and in return, she pinched one of her butt cheeks, eliciting a small moan of pain and a mocking laugh. - You're going to have to get used to it if we intend to tell them."

"I-I know. Although... I'm a little worried about..."

"Miriam, right?"

Lia turned her face away from Lani's chest and looked at her in surprise. Her expression denoted that she didn't expect her to answer accurately.

"You knew?"

"For a long time now. It's one of the reasons I want her to have more self-confidence."

"Did you...!?"

"That's a topic for another time Lia."

"I suppose. But to think we haven't even been together for a week and you're already thinking about cheating on me."

"Hey, don't even say that as a joke."

"I know, I know."

" Actually. Are you okay with this? You haven't...?"

"Lani, I'm fine. If it's her, then I don't have a problem. You're not the only one who cares about what she wants. Besides, as long as you don't neglect me, I won't have any complaints."

"*sigh* I really don't deserve you."

They shared another hug and a kiss. Reilanis thought how lucky she was that Vistelia was so patient, so understanding, so perfect for her.

They both slowly pulled apart, holding their hands together. They went over the plan one last time, and after a final kiss, they parted. Vistelia walked away and melted into the shadows, vanishing in the blink of an eye.

Thinking about what she should do now, Reilanis looked up at the sky. Barely a couple of hours had passed since dawn, and the sun was just beginning to drive away the darkness of the night, the wind was soft and cool and the animals were beginning to awaken from their slumber, starting their daily routines.

Reilanis had been left alone again, but she didn't feel bad about it. She walked back to the dungeon, hoping that the next few days would be productive for each of them.

 

The first official chapter of the first arc. Here we divide the story in 3 different directions, although they all happen at the same time, I'm going to tell them separately. Although I would like to try to put other POVs in the moments that are needed.

Reilanis knows about Miriam's thoughts, something we already knew, but it's Miriam who hasn't realized this. Is it possible that this will bring problems in the future? We will have to wait and see.

Now, this is important too. I already have the synopsis for my other story, prologue, and 7 chapters, well, 6 and a half because I was still finishing the last one. The story, yes, it's also an isekai, (with yuri and futanari of course) but apart from the beginning and some things, I'm trying to keep it away from the classics of the genre. Emphasis on "trying" (lol). Oh and this one would be written in first person, so we'll only know what the main character knows and nothing else... or maybe there will be POVs of other characters? Who knows?

Anyway, I'll leave you the synopsis and I'll wait for your opinions about it. I still don't know when I'll start publishing it, but I hope it will be soon since that story was the one, I was planning to publish first.

Anyway, I'll leave it here. I hope you liked today's chapter, feel free to give your opinion about the synopsis, it would really help me. Hasta la vista!

Allan, who had lived a rather disappointing life, has an accident upon returning home, a fire that almost takes away his little sister, caused by the negligence of his parents. With both adults imprisoned, he must take the child into his care and face the difficulties of life. As the years go by, and his day-to-day life improves little by little, Allan has reached a point where he believes his bad luck is finally over. It is at that moment when he receives a visit from a woman, who, upon entering his house, greets him with a knife directly into his chest. With blood flowing on the floor, and the sound of multiple stab wounds as background music, Allan dies and is greeted by a goddess wrapped in light who offers him a deal to reincarnate him in exchange for helping her repair her world.
Follow our protagonist Allan, now a sweet newborn baby, along a journey that will make her grow, mentally and physically, through a world of fantasy and magic, where things are much more complicated than you might expect.

6