Chapter 15: Fate
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- Rihona -

 

The day before Miyazawa's match, we gathered one last time to test the deck I put together. Kamihoriuchi Rumi served as my friend's sparring partner, and the result of their latest practice match was...

"You win, Miyazawa-san."

"Yay, you did it, Michirun!"

Nakajima was rubbing her cheek against Miyazawa's, while the latter refrained from voicing her usual protests against public affection and simply blushed.

"That was a close one, though," Ryu said as he looked at Miyazawa's almost depleted life zone. "It feels like we still can optimize this some more."

"Yeah, maybe..." I looked through my cards and put two of them on the table, "What do you think? If we can fit these in somewhere..."

Kamihoriuchi pointed to a unit on her opponent's field, "You probably won't need to run four of these."

"And, I think four of these is overkill, too," Ryu said, holding a card he picked up from Miyazawa's trash zone.

"Very well, let's give it a try."

"Yeah."

While those two prepared to have a rematch, Nakajima fiddled with her phone. Sometime after that, I got a new message.

It was a file containing all the information my friend managed to collect about the girl from the other day. I opened it and began reading through it.

Her name is Inuzuka Nanai. Class 1-B.

The file also named the middle school she went to, plus several facts about her.

- She doesn't talk much and is often seen carrying headphones around. When she isn't wearing them, she is likely to start humming to herself.

- Some people have seen her going to karaoke parlors by herself.

- If someone approaches her while she is using her phone, she gets startled easily and puts it away as soon as possible.

Nakajima-chan, you learned all of this just by asking the people you know?

Leaving that aside, this information seemed to confirm my doubts. Inuzuka Nanai was most likely Orbeat:71. No, she had to be. It was right in her name.

Nana = 7

I = 1

Now, the question is: how do I keep Ryu from finding out?

I could almost picture it, a boy finds a singer online and becomes captivated by her voice, Then, he discovers that she attends the same school as him. He gets close to her, and then, BAM!, they are dating.

I had to prevent that manga-like scenario from coming to fruition no matter what.

Once this club's president is dealt with, I'll ask Miyazawa and Nakajima for help.

That's right, I don't have to do this alone. I have friends now.

After running a couple of tests, we called it a day. Ryu and I picked up our bags and left the clubroom.

"Let's go home."

"Ah, Ryu-kun. Sorry, I gotta pick up some stuff before going home."

"Want me to help you?"

I looked at him right in the eye. "It's girl stuff. You know, like t-"

"I get it, I get it," he scratched the back of his head, "I'll see you tomorrow, then."

"See you."

I wanted some time to think by myself, but it was also true that I needed to do some shopping.

 

 

"I hope I'm not forgetting anything."

As I left the store, I checked the contents of the plastic bag, but everything seemed to be there. I kept walking through the street, recalling what I needed to buy, but there was no mistake, I had gotten everything. While I racked my brain some more, I heard a voice behind me.

"Excuse me!"

That voice belonged to a girl about my age. She wore a beige blazer and a red skirt, which were the uniform of a nearby all-girls school, and a pair of thick-framed glasses. She carried a reusable bag in one hand, and in the other, she held a familiar phone. My phone.

Right, I took it out to check something when I was at the cashier. I knew I was forgetting something.

She ran up to me, her blonde ponytail jumping around with each step.

"Your phone, you forgot your phone! Here."

She then handed it over with a gentle smile.

"So, you..." she stopped to catch her breath, and then continued, "You like AlFor? Ah, sorry, I saw your lock screen.

Good thing I have artwork from an Alter Fortuna card as my lock screen rather than my own art.

"Yeah, I do."

"Me too! I suck at it, though. Must be because I only ever played with my ex-boyfriend."

After saying that, the hazel eyes behind her black-framed glasses lost their light, but it only took her an instant to smile again.

"At least you had someone to play with," I said, "I spent years playing by myself. Hehe."

"I see..."

"Ah, I'm fine now. I have made friends since then. I even met someone I like."

"Oh, that's great! Listen, chatting here is kind of... Well, you know, so let's sit down over there."

There was a bench nearby, so we headed there and sat down to talk. Even though we had just met, she gave me a very friendly impression, so I ended up telling her about my situation. In return, I listened to her troubles with moving past her ex.

"I almost forgot, I haven't got your name yet. I'm Fujimura Mari."

"I'm Aoyagi Rihona."

"Um, this may be sudden but, can we exchange contact info? I don't have many friends that are into AlFor."

"Sure."

And with that, I managed to make another friend.

After parting ways with Fujimura, I headed home. On the way there, I had an idea. I would tell Ryu that I felt some guy was still following him, and suggest that we actually pretend dating to serve as a deterrent. Then, I would somehow make him want to date me for real.

Isn't it a bit too convoluted? Well, I can come up with a better idea later.

How about being upfront with your feelings, for once?

Thinking something along those lines, a sigh escaped from my lips.

 

 

- Ryu -

 

At last, Friday had arrived. Rihona, wanting to have one last strategy meeting with Miyazawa before classes, had left early for school, so today I was heading there by myself.

I was approaching the school's front entrance when I noticed Nicole and Daisuke coming this way. As usual, my cousin looked like she would fall asleep at any moment. Her eyes were flickering, only managing to stay open for a couple of seconds at a time. Conversely, her mouth just wouldn't stay closed due to how often she was yawning.

How does she manage to make it here safely every morning? And right on time, to boot.

While she was clinging to Daisuke's arm, he used his free hand to wave at me. "Mornin'."

"Good morning. Friday at last."

"Hmm, I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow," Nicole said, her eyes barely open.

"Is that all you have to say? Miyazawa-san is going to face a big challenge today, you know?"

"Oh, that's today, isn't..."

She trailed off, then she leaned onto the boy beside her. "Can you carry me to the classroom? I'm at my limit."

"I mean, I certainly could, but I won't. There are too many people here," Daisuke said while scratching the back of his ear.

"Pleaaase. I'll give you lots of kisses in return."

"If you are awake enough to do that, please walk to the classroom."

"Isn't it too early in the day to be flirting like that?" I said.

"You would understand if you had a girlfriend."

Girlfriend.

The instant that world reached my ears, I felt a jolt going down my spine. A dark feeling, which I had once banished from my mind, start welling up inside me all over again.

"I... I already had one, but she dumped me! And now, I'm trying to let another person into my heart, but guess what? She refuses to leave! Mari is still..."

I felt a gaze pointed at me, and upon turning in that direction, I saw someone familiar, a short girl with black and blue hair.

"Voyeur-chan? I'm not in the mood to deal with you right now!"

"Huh? I'm not...! I-I have a name, you know!"

A nearby boy snickered. He walked up to us, brushing his light brown bangs with his hand and grinning at the girl.

"What trouble did you get into this time, Inuzuka?"

"Kimura? Just what I needed. Ugh! And don't make it seem as if I get in trouble all the time!"

The girl, whose surname seemed to be Inuzuka, averted her gaze and kept walking. The boy shrugged and followed her.

"No use in running away, Inuzuka. We are in the same class."

Off they go.

After that commotion, Daisuke, Nicole, and I headed to our classroom. Rihona was already there, talking to Miyazawa and Nakajima. I figured they were talking about the upcoming match against Fukuda-senpai, but the bit I managed to overhear didn't quite match that topic.

"Sure, we can help you with that, right, Michirun?"

"Indeed."

It seems she is okay with that nickname now. Or maybe she gave up on protesting it.

"Good morning."

"Good morning, everyone."

We headed to our seats, but Nicole didn't stay in hers for too long. She forced her way into Daisuke's chair and leaned on his shoulder. I decided to leave those lovebirds alone and turned my attention to one half of another couple.

"Ready for today's big event, Miyazawa?" I asked the white-haired class rep.

"Of course."

"Aren't you nervous?"

"Hm? No, why would I be? It's not like Fukuda-senpai is this undefeated champion that leaves a trail of broken dreams in his wake. I believe we made enough preparations through the week to ensure my victory."

"I wish I had even a bit of your confidence. But, you are right. Beating him won't be the hardest part. What we should be worried about is what comes after that."

"I already took care of that. The student council is going to send a representative to oversee our match."

"You seem well prepared, class rep," said Daisuke, "it would be a shame if you lost after going through the trouble of-"

"Sugihara-kun," Nakajima said with a smile that could freeze the sun itself, "if Michirun loses, it will be your fault. I hope you are ready to pay with your life."

"Nakajima-san, you have such a long and bright future ahead of you. Please don't throw it away by committing a crime..."

"Then, don't throw your life away by making unnecessary comments."

"Hikaru."

The class rep's firm voice made her girlfriend calm down a bit. With sullen lips, Nakajima looked the other way, letting Daisuke off the hook for now.

"There, there."

Miyazawa patted Nakajima's head. In response, she turned her pout into a smile.

That's weird. I thought she couldn't handle being this lovey-dovey in public. Maybe she is trying to move forward, too.

"Tch."

As I said earlier, I wish I had her confidence.

After subconsciously clicking my tongue, Daisuke called out to me.

"Your 'bitter virgin' aura is leaking out again."

"Shut up, that's not..."

At that moment, my eyes met with Rihona's. Neither of us said anything, for the homeroom teacher entered the classroom at that moment.

While half-listening to Ms. Shimoyama's words, two girls appeared in my mind.

I need to make my move soon so that I can finally get Mari out of my heart.

The TCG club's fate would be decided later today. And after that, someone's love life would take an unexpected turn.

0