Chapter 7: I Am NOT a Child
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    The man looked at her with a raised eyebrow, she ignored him. She doesn't want to go with them but she will likely die if left out to the elements.

     It's clear what she'd rather do, so she laid down in her sled.

    The two names he had shouted turned out to belong to two children. A little boy and little girl, the little boy had dark purple hair and red eyes but the girl had light brown hair and purple eyes.

    The girl (Mia) looked to be the one older, probably twelve? However the boy (Philip) looked to be no older than 3. The instant she saw them her stomach turned and she suddenly felt nervous.

     It's been a problem ever since her previous life... even though she was a demon she had one major weakness..... she can't bring herself to harm kids, and the worst part is she doesn't even know why. She hates it, they've never done anything for her, they've never helped her. She always feels nervous around them and it makes her skin crawl.

     If one of them tries to kill her then she wouldn't be able to defend herself by killing them. One time someone sent a child to assassinate her and she couldn't bring herself to kill it and that was extremely frustrating.

     The two would take a glance at her every once and awhile but shy away in a few seconds. They were nervous and stuck to their (Dad? Baby-sitter? Older brother?) like glue.

    The older one at least tried to pretend not to be scared, but the little one looked like he was about to cry.

     'How cute.'

     The older man glanced at Alnueava. He opened his mouth but said nothing. She sighed and closed her eyes.

     "What?"

     "Huh?"

     "What is it? You wanna say something so say it." She didn't even open her eyes to look at him. Just leaned back and did her best to relax.

     "I-I was just wondering how you got out here, I mean- it's not even easy to get out here when you're prepared for it and you don't seem to have enough supplies to get out here on your own..."

     This time she opened her eyes to look at him. Her gaze was unsettling on so many different levels.

     The rest of the walk was shrouded in an uncomfortable silence and it definitely didn't help the already scared children. The uncomfortable silence was only broken when the man spoke up again.

     "I-I'm sorry. I should have realized that was an insensitive question... I shouldn't have asked."

     She looked at him and nodded.

     "It's alright, I'm the one who told you to say what was on your mind. You don't need to be sorry."

     Over the years, she has learned to appreciate those who can realize their mistakes and even more so if they can apologize. Even if he didn't necessarily make a mistake she still appreciated it.

     She's met so many dumb and/or stubborn creatures, she can't help but harbor a certain 'dislike' for them. She likes intelligence and wisdom but most importantly the ability to grow.

     But she didn't have the state of mind to appreciate this man's personality, because right now she wanted to crawl away and hide. The feeling of being so close to children is making her extremely uncomfortable. It feels like they're burning holes into her. She's never felt so relieved to see a house.

     "We're here! Now we have to get you inside..."

Alnueava didn't even wait, she put all her weight on her heels and walked inside. It hurt but that didn't stop her from getting away from the kids. The man that was helping her looked mortified.

     "W-Wait?! What are you doing!!"

     He ran in after her and guided her to a bench.

     "I'll need to clean up your wounds."

     He sends the little girl to get a bucket of water and the boy to get a clean cloth. The closer the man looked at her skin the more pity and horror he showed in his eyes.

     "I must say... I've never seen someone with such horrible luck.... no wonder you look so sickly..."

     "If you know I've been sick then why are you still so close? Or more importantly, why aren't you trying to throw me out?"

     "I would never throw a sick child out!"

     "...."

     She can't remember a time she felt so insulted by someone, let alone by someone who didn't even mean to insult her.

     "I am not a child."

     "Really? You look so... small. Well it doesn't change much, you still need help."

     Alnueava could tell he didn't believe her but if it means he'll let her stay she can deal with it.

     "...yes."

     "Oh! My name is Greg."

     "You may call me Alnueava."

     By now both Mia and Philip brought back the water and cloth. Alnueava got a little stiffer but she kept her dark eyes trained on Greg. You could almost see him piecing it together.

     "Can we get this over with? I don't want to wait much longer."

     "Oh! Of course. Hey Mia? Can you please run up and clean the attic for me?"

     "... sure dad."

     He started carefully cleaning up her hands, legs and wounds. Honestly, he was surprised by how little she reacted. Her ears were horribly frost-bitten but all she did was squeeze her eyes closed. By the time he finished, she was completely covered in bandages.

     "Come on, I'll take you to our attic. I would like to keep you away from my kids, just in case."

      "Sure, I appreciate it."

     Alnueava meant what she said, after all, she was genuinely happy to put some distance between her and those kids.

     Greg guided her to the attic and laid a mattress, some blankets and a pillow on the ground.

     While Greg was busy, Mia kept peeking in at Alnueava, it was like how you would keep an eye on someone suspicious.

     'Oh wait... that's probably why...'

     Greg looked at Alnueava and pointed to the bed.

    "You should rest, I can bring up some soup later. Try not to leave this room but we have a bathroom at the end of the hall."

     "Ah, thank you."

     "No, problem. Take care of yourself."

     He patted her head and she gained an unreadable expression.

     '...no one would even dare think about patting my head in my last life. You're lucky I'm as weak as a bug right now.'

     She can't tell what she hates more, the fact that she just compared herself to a bug, or that it was an accurate comparison. However, she was undoubtedly exhausted right now so she walked to the bed and laid down to sleep.

     Long story short, she did not sleep well. She was tossing and turning, and even though she felt tired, she couldn't fall asleep. It was frustrating, though she was happy to eat some of the soup they brought in.

     Alnueava stared at the early morning sunrise through the only window in the room. The sky was clear and the morning dew was refreshing. She laid on the window frame and closed her eyes.

     'It's morning.... The days here are much longer than in my world. How strange. '

1