Chapter 22. The Devil’s Monologue
55 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What is beauty? What is youth? Both are obsessions for many people. Time changes but people don't. The outside changes. The world changes. They change the clothes they wear, the things they use to transport themselves from one point to another, their thinking and beliefs. But their insides never change. They are all still rotten to the core.

Inside every being, there's evil. Not one human never had evil desires. As the devil, I know these too well. That was why it was easy to manipulate them. Like Mr. Dorian Gray himself, who was once lying on the ground rotten with his portrait destroyed. His soul was lost to me. Of course, the painting repaired itself in my hands, ready to find its new owner. Back then, it sparked an idea to me that artworks such as painting are very useful. Humans own different aesthetic values. What is beautiful to one might be hideous to another. But paintings are always deemed valuable to humans despite the clashes between their aesthetic values. The price tag on them only got higher. And rich humans are the most rotten. So, they are the most useful to me. They fueled my power.

So even though these days I spread evil through selfies and social media, nothing is more classical and sentimental compared to a painting of a portrait. The very cursed painting that carried my evil in it evolved as well. As it was transferred from one different owner to another, the portrait changed to the resemblance of a new owner every time. People’s perceptions on beauty changes over time as well so the style of the portrait in the painting also changes over time. Humans sold their soul to me to attain beauty and I handed them the painting under the promise that they would get whatever they wanted in the end. This exchange of course came with interest. Other than only selling their souls to me, I would also include some 'hidden charges' that they weren't aware of. Each of them reacted differently to these 'hidden changes'. It was fun and interesting to watch them change. It was beautiful to see them broken.

The current owner is a special case. Some time ago, I found a boy who was deformed. He was blind and unhappy. So, I approached him with business in mind. I asked the normal questions.

"Do you want to be happy?"

He answered 'yes'.

"Do you know how to be happy?"

And he answered with a 'no'.

I smiled at him and asked my final question: "what is your wish?" And laid out my offer: "I will give you anything you wished for in exchange for your soul. Sounds nice?"

He then…

Wait. Forgive me. I will continue the story of the past for another time. I needed to head to Klaus' manor. The boy is all grown up now and the deadline for his soul to be mine is coming close. I'm excited to see how beautiful his ending would be.

֍֍֍

*Author’s Note: By this point, I would like to apologise to all of you since I might have caused confusion for you guys regarding some spellings. I used different devices when I wrote the chapters so some of them would be in American English spellings and some others would be in British English spellings. I don’t have the time to go back and revise them for now but I just wanted you all to understand this mistake lol. Thanks and I’m sorry. -K

֍֍֍

NEXT UPDATE: 2023/03/14

֍֍֍

1