Fear – The Word That Should Have Never Been Spoken
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She's heading down the third district, near Lxi's Emporium!

Found the target!

Good. Subdue her but do not use lethal force- we need to find out how she infiltrated the barrier.

Ackkk! Aaaaaah!

Unit 3? Unit 3, respond! Unit 3 is down- unit 4, where are you?

I'm almost-

Unit 4? What's going on down there?! Zatyr squad, report in! Aego has gone completely dark- they need back-up!

No can do, Commander. We're being hunted by... something.

Something? What does something mean?! Be more specific!

Sir, we don't-

Zatyr?! What in the world is happening?? Squads Nyha, Biq, Owv, Cyv, and Prixe, get to Aego's domain in Sector 1 and take down the intruder!

Roger!

Copy!

Understood!

Yes, sir!

Moving!

Mina, Luwn, Yn, Kyt, and Xew- to Zatyr's domain in Sector 13! Be alert! Whatever’s there is deemed threat-level Super; forbidden weapons are allowed!

On our way!

Going there now!

Luwn squad requests immediate assistance! I repeat, Luwn squad requires immediate assistance!

What?! Kyt and Xew, over to sector 12; Luwn is under attack! Mina and Yn will continue as instructed!

Yes, sir!

COMMANDER- COMMANDER!

Can't you see I'm in the middle of something?!

Sir, but we're under siege!

What?!

The Uvers have broken through!

What?! It has to be the intruders- calling all squads, this is not a drill, I repeat this is not a drill! The Uvers are coming through the Outer Gate! CX will postpone all orders and evacuate the commercial sectors; stay on lookout for the intruders, but do not engage. Regarding IF, offensive teams will try to repel the invaders in S-1 and S-13- defenders, block the external rifts at S-2 and S-12; work together with CX to bring everyone back safely! Also, until further developments, assume that everyone in EU is KIA! IU, positions! Guard the Inner Gates! EF, prepare slots for the badly wounded- everyone in RF will be reassigned as a combat medic! EVERYONE BE ON FULL ALERT! THREAT LEVEL: MAGNUS!

We’re mobilizing the entire army?!

Officer, take your post and relay information to me- I need to know-

Command. Have you seen the chaos out here?

Slay! Don't worry, we’ll have the situation under control shortly!

Shortly? We have an intruder, an unknown entity, and now the Shifters are losing control.

Wait- what?! This is an apocalypse- we haven’t seen such an event since... it's the Fallen! It has to be!

Hey, no matter how bad this gets, it can’t be that bad. Just give me the usual, like always, and lead us to victory.

You're right- Fallback! Transport every Fell Lord including yourself to the Command Center!

Roger that- I'm here!

Send Guardian to the Outer Gate!

Got it!

Doctor to Dispersion!

Alright!

Destroyer to S-13!

Gone!

Slayer to S-1!

Done!

You head over to the other Shifters and tell me what’s going on!

See ya!

Doha, can you hear me? It's Awnia! The Shifters have been drained! I'm going to take over for them, but that means I can't transport anyone!

Copy, Fallback! Everyone, be warned; transportation is down. What's the situation looking like?

Kujk here! The frontline’s nasty! There're at least 3 nests of Uvers swarming!

Rizna, ready to disperse!

Xile reporting; both Zatyr and Mina have been annihilated. Searching for the cause now.

Guin has found the intruder and is in pursuit! Looping to sector 13!

Alright, Guardian, Doctor is ready; what do you need?

I'm all alone here! EU is missing- probaby outside! Give IF a boost so they can get here faster!

Roger that: Doctor, boost IF!

Dispersing "Speed Boost", now!

Ey! Did Rizna just pump us up? I like it!

That's affirmative, Slay!

Command, I'm in sector 10. I've found some kind of... thing.

For crying out loud, Destroy, I thought you of all could give me a proper sitrep!

I'm sorry, but this is beyond even me. Ah- it's fast! It just transported into sector 9. Following!

Copy that! Slay! How goes the chase?

Intruder is now in sector 12! I'm not sure what she's doing- but she’s not getting away!

Roger! Guardian! Are the troops there yet?

That's a negatory, C! What's going on??

IF, check in!

We found EU at the Outer Gate’s internal rift! They said most of them are outside- but they’re probably dead! They had to retreat because o-

The full report can come later! Is there any way you can join with-

Not a way, sir! We’re being overrun!

What?!

The Uvers are here! Five nests! EU’s been keeping them contained-

I see; that’s why S-1 and S-13 had no reports of a break-in... good work, EU. RF should be coming soon to provide relief. You just need to repel two nests on your own; our Guardian’s taking on the other three.

Thank you, sir!

Now-

Sir, this is the defensive team!

What is it?

We’ve lost contact with our own in S-12!

What about CX? Search and Rescue teams, check in!

Nynha, reporting!

Biq, reporting!

Owv, reporting!

Cyv, reporting!

Prixe, reporting!

Dynn, reporting!

Qif, reporting!

Estykk. reporting!

Rie, reporting!

Fixa, reporting!

Sej, reporting!

Gen reporting!

Teip, reporting!

This is Hilv, Unit 2... sectors 9 and 8 are down... I'm hiding in Ruuk's Diner... there's something... and it's looking for me- send help, please!

What?! It’s there already? Destroy! Unknown is in Ruuk's Diner with a survivor from Hilv! Initiate rescue!

On my way.

Unit 2, what's the situation?

I- I think it left... I think- AHHHH!

HILV! Destroy, belay the rescue! Hilv squad is down!

I can still catch it, though.

Negative! The Unknown’s taken out at least twelve squads on its own! Turn around and intercept the Intruder; with Slay, you can corner it!

What?! What about Sector 7?!

Just follow orders!

Grr... roger that.

Sector 7! Be warned about an incoming hostile from sector 8!

Copy, sir!

Guardian, all squads are busy, you’re going solo! How copy?

Gah! I'm being overrun! I need a burst on me!

Copy! Doctor, Guardian needs a burst!

Burst Mode Active! Forty seconds on the clock!

Guardian, you have forty seconds before burnout!

Copy that!

Destroy, status update?

I'm almost at sector 9!

Slay, Destroy is en route to intercept; how’s it looking?

Intruder got away!

What?

She's headed to sector 11, but get this; I've engaged with some weird shining-!

RUN AWAY! I REPEAT, RUN AWAY!

What?! Why!?

DESTROY! GET TO SLAY NOW! YOU'RE GOING TO PASS THE INTRUDER IN SECTOR 10 BUT IGNORE HER, I REPEAT IGNORE HER! SLAY HAS ENGAGED WITH THE UNKNOWN!

The Unknown?! But it was- oh no... is...

EVERYONE, HEAR ME: ALL SECTORS HAVE FALLEN TO THE UNKNOWN! IN THIS SHORT PERIOD, IT’S ACTUALLY MADE A FULL LOOP!

W H A T?!

Are you kidding?!

No way.

That's impossible!

How...?

Fallback, de-link sector 12 immediately!

Estimated three minutes to de-link!

Slay, is it still there with you?

Affirmative!

Keep it there for as long as you can! We've initiated the de-linking process!

What!?

The creature must not be allowed into the inner sanctum!

U- understood. Tell the Doctor I need a burst then... and make it a good one!

Got it... Doctor.

Yes?

Activate Burst Mode for the Slayer... make it a good one.

...

Rizna?

Roger. Burst Mode: Unlimited, has been activated.

Destroy.

I can't get through!

S-12 is being de-linked.

W- what? No... Slay- no! Re-link it! I can take the creature! We can! Tell everyone to converge on sector 12!

Guardian is still clearing the Outer Gate; Fallback needs to keep the sectors stable; and Doctor is the only reason our fallen troops are alive.

Fine, then it'll just be us two! We can take it! LET ME IN!

Destroy...

Hey... is Destroy still there?

Yeah, she uh... she wants us to re-link the sectors so she can join you.

No point, it's already too late...

Don't tell me-

Yeah... I've lost. Unthinkable, right? With a burst.

Slay...?!

Hehah- after everything... can you believe we killed a Deilva once? Tell her- I don’t know... I just... I don’t know what to say. I’m sorry.

-OU LISTENING?! OPEN UP; LET ME IN!

Destroy...

OPEN THE RIFT!

Destroyer...

OPEN IT OR I SWEAR-

Xile.

WHAT?!

It's over.

NO, IT'S NOT! I JUST NEED TO GET IN THERE! WE CAN TAKE IT DOWN, I PROMISE! ONCE I GET IN THERE, IT’LL BE EASY!

Xile... it's over.

IT'S NOT OVER! IT'S NEVER OVER! NOT UNTIL THE VERY END! HOW MANY TIMES HAVE WE BEEN IN TOUGHER SPOTS THAN THIS?! THIS IS NOTHING! JUST OPEN THE RIFT AND LET ME IN!

Xile... huff...

[As of right now, on the fifth moon of our fifth Savior, on exactly three three five D.T.]

Th- this is..

[Fell Lord ‘Guin’, hailed ‘Slayer’, has fallen in battle.]

No... that can't be...

I'm sorry, Xile. He's gone.

...

Xile... Xile? Xile, respond! Awnia, status report on 12’s link!

Two minu- wait- something’s tearing through- it’s coming!? How-??

It's not the Unknown.

Huh? But wha- oh no... no! no! no! Not Xile too?! We've just lost Guin! Doha, tell her to come back. Please.

She won't listen to me... but- maybe... Rizna.

Y- yeah?

I'm creating a direct link between you and Xile.

Xile?

She's going to try and fight the creature alone...

NO!

Guin died... you know how she feels, right? I can’t get through to her, but maybe... you.

Xile?! Xile, dear, listen, please!

Rizna, you know better than to try and talk me out of this.

Then you should know what it’s like to be the one talking! This creature took out twenty-six squads and a Fell Lord, Xile; you can’t handle this!

HE’S NOT JUST A FELL LORD; HE’S THE SLAYER- HE’S MY... HE’S NOT JUST A FELL LORD!

I know. It killed Guin.

AND YOU’RE WILLING TO JUST LET IT GET AWAY?!

It’s trapped, it can’t-

IN THERE! WITH SLAY’S BODY!

Destroy, don’t you think Rizna understands-

STAY OUT OF THIS, DOHA- YOU TRAITOROUS SCUM! YOU WERE ONE OF US-

Please, don't do this!

Listen, Slay wanted-

THIS CONVERSATION IS OVER!

Xile?! XILE! Doha, she broke the link... I’m sorry.

Kujk! Please tell me you have good news!

Burn... but... Uvers... dead... EU... safe... most... ly.

Do you think you can take another Burst?

Xile...?

Yeah.

Do... d... do it...

Doctor! Burst on Guardian!

But-

BURST!

Alright- Burst active!

Kujk, she's in sector 12 but the rift in 13's closed, you'll need to get in through 11!

ALL THE WAY FROM 1 TO 11?! OKAY!

Everyone else is preoccupied... huff, I guess this is it. I’m leaving it to you... make good on your training.

[Fell Lord Doha, hailed Commander, has deemed this an emergency level: FALLEN]

[Commander has forthrightly passed to Crowned Byza; Fell Lord Doha will relinquish command and take his place in the battlefield of Sector 12. All links will now be transferred through Byza.]

Byza... hold the inner sanctum for us. You, and the others, are our last hope.

Yessir. I'll make sure everyone survives.

Personal links with Doha, Rizna, Awnia, Kujk, and Xile. Everyone, we're live.

Yes!

Mhmm!

GOT IT!

Hmph!

Destroy, we're coming with you.

Too little too late.

I know, I'm sorry. Now, allow me to rectify that.

Do as you please.

Keep the bridge up and stay there until we arrive.

... fine.

Rizna, burst me.

Burst Mode Active!

Sharing effects through the link. Everyone feel it?

Yup!

Ah, I forgot what it’s like.

Ugh, makes me think I can take it alone.

WOAH, DOES MINE DOUBLE?!

No. And you’re not a fool, Destroy- you know you need us. Awnia, make sure the Unknown doesn't get through the bridge from the other side.

Already on it!

Kujk, where are you?

SECTOR 10! WHAT ABOUT YOU?

Right behind.

Command.

Destroy?

You don't really think- I mean- it couldn't be... one of the Fallen, could it?

I... I don't know what to think right now- but you know? Slay came by earlier- he told me that no matter how bad things get, it could never be as bad as that.

Never? We've been together for so... have you ever seen him defeated like this?

... I suppose, no.

Now some unknown creature comes in and... and... he’s dead in less than a minute. A minute. He can’t be faking it- he’s not... he wouldn’t mess... not like...

...

So? Say something!

...

You think so too, huh? Go on, say it.

...

You know you can say it to me; even if the others-

...

Doha! Say something to me!

Aha! Ahahahahahahahaha!

What?! What's so funny?! Is this all a joke?!

No, no! It's just... a habit- ahahahahaha!

I suppose when you’re faced with the end of the last bastion... our species...

No! It's just- after all these years, it's become a habit for me to link all six of us!

What...? What are you...? Six?

Ahahahaha! Guin! His vitals- he's alive!

What?! That's... you... is this some ploy to leave me out?! Because I’m fighting with you- by each other’s side; we’ve always been- you won’t go in without me!

Just concentrate! Can’t you feel? His pulse- his thoughts- his emotion...

Y- you're right... we’re linked...

I feel it... I feel it!

Me too-

GUIN’S ALIVE!

He's alive! He’s really alive!

For now...

Huh?! Whose voice is that?!

Hee. Hee.

-----------------------
Author's Note:
Hey~! If you liked it, check out the rest of the story for free on cieleporia.itch.io/mystory to enjoy the full experience with proper formatting, as well as more chapters in the series!

The one you've just read is called Issue #16 Fear - The Word That Should Have Never Been Spoken, which is followed up by Issue #17 Hope - The Dream That Should Have Never Been Woken!

The story has three parts; Issues #1-#13 on introduction, Issues #8.1-#8.12 on development, and now, we've entered into our first big arc in Issues #14+!

I've designed it so you can begin at whichever part you like, so you can start reading the serious arc now!

0