Afterlife
183 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meredith had never seen nor heard anything like this before-dying, and then getting an afterlife job. 

She remembered lying on the hospital bed, her congenital heart disease giving her a seizure during one of her usual lab days. She was known globally for being a multi-talented genius, she won Nobel prizes-in science and literature-but on her deathbed, none of those achievements saved her from the clutches of the Reaper.

She expected it to end there, and was shocked-her stoic face might have said otherwise-to find herself sitting on a metal chair.

She looked left, right, all possible directions, and only saw a white space that seemed to stretch to infinity. Was she really dead? She didn't remember any religion designating this as their afterlife. Back on Earth, she had always carried an indifferent front involving religion, afterlife, and other philosophical topics, but this life after death intrigued her.

In the middle of her thoughts, a cold voice echoed in the space as though demanding her attention.

[Overriding memory erasure protocols...soul retrieval complete.]

[Welcome, Entity #2-54-778755699799, You've fulfilled the conditions for CMA's employment]

Meredith:???

"Employment?"

No one answered her questions, but her forward gaze caught something that wasn't there before-a metal table with three documents laid on it.

The three were all tests: an IQ test, EQ test, and a personality test. She noted that they-the entity who brought her here-didn't ask for any personal information, either they didn't need it or they already had it, she favoured the latter assumption.

She waited a few moments expecting the voice to tell more but was met with the previously prevailing silence.

Meredith leaned forward, wondering how to write her answ-

"Ooh."

A pen appeared out of thin air,  fascination surfaced in her amethyst irises for a moment before she gripped the floating pen and got to answering the questions.

Something that was intriguing as it was scary was that all thoughts of lying were erased from her mind, writing only honest answers, but she dismissed it as something small for someone who was able to prevent her death, though she was interested in whatever 'employment' she was being offered.

Click-!

The sound of the pen hitting the table indicated her completion of the questions, and the documents-including the pen-disintegrated into golden motes of light. 

Her sense of time in this space might have been misplaced, so she didn't know if it was seconds, minutes or hours, but after some time, the cold voice resounded in the space again, alongside a hovering screen with a list.

[Employment application approved]

[Recommended Worker Specification]

1. Tasker

2. Merchant

3.Researcher

4. Hunter

5. Agent

[Liberty to choose has been granted to you. Contact your assigned system for more Information.]

She was still absorbing and contemplating the implications of what she knew when a cute, androgynous voice made her shift gaze from the screen to find the source of the voice.

[Hello host! I, System #54122 am glad to introduce you to the CMA! You can also call me Fae!]

A white ball of light, that you knew was smiling even without seeing any visage of a face, was floating.

She already had a faint idea of all that was going on, because even if she wasn't fond of webnovels, she had heard about them one way or another. 

"Soo... my reincarnation was cancelled."

[Yes host!]

"And the questions and all that I answered was some kind of entrance examination into this...CMA."

[The Cosmos Management Agency host! We have a range of jobs, from BUG eliminations, Plane integrations, Timeline fixture, Planetary surveillance, Sta...]

"Zip it."

[...oh]

Fae's cheerful tone went a notch down, frustrated. Who did it offend to get this expressionless, snappy host.

"Give me an explanation for each job."

But it wouldn't falter! System Admin #5 had promised it a bonus if it could add colour to it's host life.

So it refilled it's determination bar, and braced itself for the challenge ahead.

[First, Taskers: they'rere responsible for Plot Interference and Stabilization with respect to Roles. They're divided into Sectors, but all taskers irrespective of Sectors are licensed to receive requests from Characters]

'So, they act as contractors of some sort. Wait..'

"What are Characters?"

[They're the inhabitants of the books most CMA workers are commissioned to.]

"Books?"

[Yeah, books.]

"Oh."

'So that's where the 'Plot' comes in, but this system had something to say just now.'

Meredith narrowed her eyes, this 'System' was hiding something, there was a faint fluctuation in it's cheeky voice-one that indicated it was restraining itself from talking too much.

Tilting her head-her silky black hair trailing down her neck-she studied this System that called itself Fae but she couldn't discern anything since it didn't even have a face to make expression. So Meredith noted this moment at a corner of her mind, turned to the next option, and asked.

"So Merchants, are they regular merchants, or the job name's just a metaphor?"

[Merchants do trading, host. Except they trade items from books to Reality, they're actually the only ones with a license to do that.]

"Fair enough. I'm assuming researchers are involved with research and development. Simple?"

[Yes host! They're the ones who create, upgrade and manage the CosmoBand, determine Cross-Dimensional Tangents, ensure Eff-]

"Next."

["..."]

'Please don't dampen my enthusiasm!'

[*Sigh*...okay host! Moving on! Hunt-]

"Don't call me host, I possess a name."

[You're my host, host!]

"..."

["..."]

The silence was stifling, with a human and a system having a stare-down, but Meredith knew she had to back down, for now at least, since all she needed to know was with this system which wasn't as simple as it appeared. But she wouldn't go without hitting back.

"Continue System #54122."

[Host! My name is F-]

"#54122. Continue." She demanded this time.

[Oh...erm...apologies. Hunters are responsible for hunting, simple, they're hitmen.]

"And Agents?"

[Agents are department-fluid, which means you can take missions of Taskers, Merchants, Researchers and Hunters, no matter the mission type, but the requirements are high, that's where you're special host! Mwah!]

A brief crack appeared on her stoic face, the frustration evident in her eyes. But she chalked it up since there was nothing she could do.

'Yes, little by little! before you know it I'll stuff you with emotions! And my bonus is assured!'

Fae could already see itself tasting food!

"..stem"

Damn! Which body should it get! A Loli? No, it wasn't trending anymore. A Martian? No, too expensive.

"Sys..."

Or she could ta-

"System!"

[Ah? Oh! Yes host? You've made your decision?!]

Meredith sighed, and wondered whether she could apply for a system change, this was getting on her nerves.

"Yes, but first, tell me. Why should I take this job?"

Fae's voice turned grave the question.

[Host. You'll die if you refuse.]

'Threats? Heh'

"I'm not afraid of death." She stated casually.

Fae was about to retort, but when it saw the seriousness in it's host's eyes, it swallowed it's words. Stumped, it covertly contacted Admin #5.

In the silence, Meredith turned to the endless space, viewing it with an absent gaze, yes, she wasn't afraid of death. To the world, she died a sad death, but only she knew that she died because she lost the will to live. The only regret she had was not getting to the bottom of her con-

[Fun.] Fae brought back her attention with an unexpected reply.

"Huh?"

[Fun!Host!And a reason to live!]

Her eyes widened. She was going to take the job, and just asked the question as a test. But the answer she got was one that exposed her fears, she didn't want to live a life that was only in shades of grey again, going day by day like a zombie. Death was a better option. She knew that, and they knew too. But Fae wasn't finished.

[Your constant nightmares. You can find the ans-.]

"How do you know about it." She snapped, her voice laced with suspicion.

["..."]

[*Sigh*...I don't know host.]

"Mhmm."

[Host, I actually don't know.]

Fae was on the verge of tears, it really didn't know! It only said what Admin #5 told it to, word-for-word.

While it was despairing, it got another message.

[Host. Don't worry! On the course of our Journey together, we'll discover all you want to know!]

Meredith was having second thoughts about this job now. There were too many unknowns, and that was something she didn't like, having something in your shadows that could trip you at any time.

She decided to proceed with the whole jargon, but keep her guard up.

[Rest assured host. We mean no harm...]

"Agent. I pick agent."

[...we just wan- eh? You agree?]

"Otherwise?"

[Oh! Haha! That's the spirit host! You won't regret it! I didn't!]

Was it her illusion? Or did she just see dollar signs flashing on this ball of light?

[Ahem... So let's proceed]

 Fae twirled and then golden motes of light gathered to form some sort of glowing scroll, with a quilt floating alongside.

[Just sign the contract and we're done!]

She took the quilt and focused her gaze on the unfurled scroll.There were writings above the space for her signature, but the words were indiscernible, in some bizarre language.

The only thing indicating that the contract was fair was the shining scale balance just above the writings. 

One wouldn't normally assume that the contract was fair because it had the drawing of a scale balance, but this lever had some faint fluctuations about it, like there was a Law demanding Equity.

She signed the contract, and let the quilt float away from her hand.

The quilt joined the scroll, divided into two parts, the first part sped and engraved itself on her forehead, before sinking into her skin. While the second part floated to Fae and turned into a series of codes that was absorbed into it's body.

She looked at her right wrist and saw a futuristic wristband that only just appeared there, with CosmoBand engraved on it , she was about to tap the glowing circle when something else distracted her, some sort of feeling.

This space, she felt a bond with it, like it was a domain, her domain. She thought of something, and the space started pixelating.

Bzzt!Bzzt!

After a few sparks, the white faded to reveal a library that extended for five metres, and then only a void. But she wasn't disappointed, because there was this vague message in her bond, one that told her the space could grow.

Meanwhile Fae was screaming inside. Look at that! It's host had a domain! Normally, only Admins or Class-4 Workers had the privilege to get a domain. But the host was one of the rare Agents that started with their own domains! 

'Klara, Maki, just you wait! Hmph! I've got a better host now! I just hope she doesn't die too early.'

A faint tapping sound was heard in the space, and then a screen projected from the source of the sound-the wristband.

----

Name: Meredith Blaire

Age: 23

Specialization: Agent

Authority Level: Class-0

Identity: #######, Agent #131 (Intern), Entity 2-54-778755699799

Intelligence:17

Constitution:12

Stamina:10

Soul Strength:30

Karma: 0

[Locked]

[Locked]

[Locked]

----

[The values of an average human is ten host.]

'Hmm, most of it is self explanatory, except..'

"What's with the hashes in my identity?"

[Ah? Oh! it's! It's...I don't know, I'll contact our Admin. It may be an error.]

"*Sigh*The bracket?"

[You're still an intern host! You'll only be recognized as a true agent when you successfully complete your first two missions]

She gave an amused look.

"Let me guess, these 'Locked' panels will only be unlocked when I'm officially established as an agent."

The ball of light flew up and down rapidly as if nodding, what a smart host it had!

[Yes host!]

"And I'm assuming interns are not worthy of 'seeing' the CMA." She said sarcastically.

[Um, you're correct host, but...but the way you put it-]

"Let's just move on."

[Oh ok! I'll inform our Assigned Admin of your answer and request a mission. I assume you're ready.]

"Yes."

While the system hovered in the same position, with codes revolving around it, Meredith stood up from the formerly metal chair, which was now a wooden recliner and walked to one of the shelves.

To her surprise, all the books in the domain were books she read back on Earth, she wouldn't be surprised if more showed up as her domain expanded. She took down a book, and flipped through it absent-mindedly, wondering how disappointingly funny it would be if this was some sort of lucid dream, reason? She was still dressed in her hospital scrubs! Didn't they have uniform! Even if it was just an intern version! And even when she tried conjuring a wardrobe, it didn't work. What sort of employers were the CMA.

Fae turned to it's host, who seemed to be lost in thought, and called out with an unknown emotion in it's voice.

[Um, host, this is your mission.]

----

Book Configuration: #1-344.

Mission Type:Plot Hole Fixture

Grade:Variable

Role of Assigned Body: Cannon Fodder

Transport Method: Transmigration

----

Meredith scanned the given mission, and then glanced at the System, she heard something in it's voice before, was it doubt? Or fear? What did it fear?

"What's the Mission itself."

[You'll receive it when your transmigration is successful]

"Okay, wai-"

[Good luck host!]

Whirrng!

She couldn't finish her question, her vision was spinning, it felt like her body was twisting upon itself. And before she lost consciousness, she could faintly hear Fae's last words.

[You'll really need it.]

----

In her absence, the library-her domain-faded away, reverting to the characteristic white of the system space.

Fae was about to enter Superposition Mode when the space fluctuated, and a portal opened.

A blue-haired young-looking man stepped out of the portal, he dusted his sweatshirt and faced Fae, his grey eyes shining with mischief.

[Sir Five, are you really sure this is allowed. Interns don't take Variable grade missions, those Realities are unstable!]

The only response it got was a yawn, and instead of replying immediately, the man got to picking his nose, his large round glasses nearly falling off his face, thanks to his laid back posture.

"Is this why you called me here?"

[Sir Five! Let's be serious, I could file a complaint to the Arbiters! It's against the rules to co-]

"Zip it."

Zip it? Zip what?! Why was everyone telling it to zip it! Didn't this foolish Admin know the gravity of what he had done.

"*Yawn* I know what you're thinking. Don't worry, she'll survive it."

Fae sighed, it's voice overflowing with anxiety.

[Really?]

Five smirked, and nudged his glasses.

"She will, after all, it's 'Her'"

[Who?]

"Don't worry, soon enough you'll know."

[Okay, whatever, let's hope she survives, after all...]

'...death during internship is permanent.'

This book is primarily writing practice, cuz I don't want to use my big idea to test the waters. So, I'm accepting constructive criticism. Just don't trash talk.

5