Chap 8 – Blind footstep
74 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Dong Meng bid the old man farewell, he ordered his men to bring Dong Bai back for treatment. Then he told the Chen's servants to return to the Chen's estate with him.

 

When the troubles saw themselves out, Yun An attempted to move only for the old man to signal her to stay put. “Don’t get up. Your wound is severe. Let me heal you first.” He knelt down to check on the injury.

 

“Elder. Yun An is grateful for your help.”

 

“It’s something I should do.”He applied his hand on her back. Strangely, she could feel her internal body moving.

 

After a while, tinkering with her body, the old man said. “Lil Zhong. Help me move her.”

 

“Yes, master.”

 

<I see. This boy is his disciple.>

 

When her body was lifted up, weirdly enough, there was no strain on her injury.

 

Having set the girl sitting upright on the side of the street, the old man sat behind her. This time, he placed both hands above her lungs.

 

Yun An couldn’t go into details on what happened because of the amount of strangeness that occurred in the process of “healing”. What she could confirm was her bones were in the correct places and the organs had stopped aching.

<Does this mean I am healed?>

“Once again, please allow me to express my gratitude.”

 

“About that. I have a request. I hope that you would listen to it.”

 

“I see. Then-“

 

He gestured to Yun An to stop. “Let's not talk here.”

Choosing a table in a decent inn, he ordered a light meal along with a teapot. While waiting for the server to bring the order, he calmly explained. “I have been watching you for a while. The fact that you could handle qi attacks without using qi marked you as a rarity among people. Such talent if nurtured properly will bloom into great fruition. As someone who has lived a long life as a cultivator, I wish to recruit you as one of my disciples.”

 

“Elder. Before I give my reply, can I ask you some questions?”

 

He gestured. “Feel free to.”

 

“What is this “qi” that you mentioned?”

 

"Lil" Zhong looked at her with wide-open eyes. Half of his emotion was doubt, the rest was genuine bafflement. Yun An realised just how out-of-place her question must have been for people of this world.

 

The elder with a lesser expression of shock asked. “You have never heard of qi before?”

 

After pausing a moment to select her words, Yun An decided on her story. “If it was some time ago, perhaps I would have known. Not to hide from elder, I am suffering from amnesia.” Of course, that was a lie. She was just not of this world.

 

The elder lifted his eyebrows. “You mean you do not remember anything?”

 

“Yes, elder. My name, my parents, memories of my younger days. I have no recollection.”

 

“You poor child.”

 

“I am thankful for your sympathy, elder, but I am fine as I am.”

 

“To place pity on those that aren't (pitiful). I see that I have offended you.”

 

“Yun An dares not imply.”

 

“However, I must commend you for being level-headed and brave. I have never met a young one as mature.”

 

<If he had watched since the beginning, he probably meant my response to the physical and verbal abuses.>

“If that’s how elder sees.”

 

“Oh, customers. Your food is here.”  The server interrupted.

 

While letting the energetic man finishing his work, Yun An checked on the elder. His face was brimmed with satisfaction. The little exchange must have put him in a good mood.

 

After the waiter left, Yun An was the first to resume their conversation. “Elder. About my question.”

 

While the elder collected his thought, the young boy poured tea for the three of them. 

 

Yun An politely accepted his kindness.

 

“Qi is all presented in heaven and earth. It is the essence of all things and it is capable of many things. With the use of qi, man can become stronger and overcome even death.”

 

“Then, Yun An believes cultivation is learning and improving one’s ability of utilising qi.”

 

“Bright child, you are half correct. Cultivators seek power and immortality but they are means to an end. 

There are only so many a mortal life can achieve.  To fend off old age, illness and violence, power and immortality are necessary.

The importance lies with our personal understanding of qi. As qi is the essence of all things, we hope that as we get closer to qi we could understand the more fundamental nature of the universe, and, through it, realising the answer for our questions.”

 

“Elder. What questions would those be?”

 

“Understanding qi is understanding the fundamentals of the universe. It is understanding everything in the universe. When you grasp the intricacy of Qi, you will start to see the cause and effect around you. Whatever question you may have can be deduced from your understandings. You will find your answer in your cultivation.”

 

<This feels like some of those sale pitch from myriad of obscure sects littering my old world. It is literally "there is a great reward for you but you need to join our sect and study our doctrine to completion only then can you appreciate the great reward."

Saying that, I am currently not occupied and it's not like I have anything to lose. I can just tag along and quit whenever I want. Moreover, as I return to the past, there was one thing to be said. I had no attachment in my last life. However, said lack of attachment had been eating at my past life. I felt no purpose for my life and I didn’t understand why my life had been so unfulfilled. Why is it that I who has reached the end felt so unsatisfied? Perhaps… I was given a push into this new life to get my answer. If so, I just have to move and see how thing unfolds.>

“Elder. Yun An understands.”

 

“Now that you have known about the path. What is your decision?”

 

The young girl stepped out from her seat and got down to her knees. “Disciple Dong Yun An, greet the master.”

2