Chap 11 – Not foes?
68 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Am I… safe?

The beasts are all lying on the ground. They are dead, right?

Is there any other?

That’s the sound of grass! Something is coming. I beg you please don’t come near me. Please don’t!

Uhm. They are people. They are not beasts. Am I safe? Will they…

No, why are they here? The servants said this part is deep in the forest. Normal kids don’t come here.>

 

“Have no fear.” The boy showed his hands, spreading like he was about to give hug. "We are not gonna harm you."

 

<Are they really not going to harm me? No. My instructor told me to be careful of stone robbers. They must have been waiting for me to kill these beasts. 

I don’t know if I can fight them. Should I kneel and beg? Maybe they will just take the stone.

No. I need these stones. I can’t hunt for any other beasts in this form. If I don’t have these stones for tonight. I am likely beast food by tomorrow.>

 

Holding the sword with both hands, he pointed it at the two. “Stay back!”

<Not good. I should have said it more politely.>

 

“Easy. We don’t come here to fight.”

 

<Please don’t come any closer! I am a cornered rat. Don’t you know a cornered rat will bite back?>

“Please go away.”

 

The boy in front hardened his look at the reaction.

 

<So scary! He will slice me in half. I have to say something. What should I say? How should I beg?>

 

“Senior brother.” The girl's voice captured their attention. “Please let me handle this.”

 

“Junior sister. You can’t. You have no cultivation.”

 

“That will make me less of a danger.”

They traded look.

 

<Despite claiming to be the junior sister and having no qi that I can spot, I could feel that she was not subservient to the older boy. They seemed somewhat equal in social rank.>

He pulled his sword to chest and entered a lower stance. He didn’t know what she could do but he was scared, like seeing a tiger kind of scare.

 

“We are simply here to help.” She walked three steps closer to the wary boy.

“We heard a commotion and rushed here to see that you had killed the beasts.” The distance was five steps closer for the duration of speaking this sentence.

“You are bleeding and need treatment.” Only four steps were between them.

“If you don’t get treated, you’ll-”

 

<Ah! I swung my sword. 

No! Why did you come so close?!

Huh?!>

 

Yun An's face showed no reaction. To the boy's surprise, she had captured his sword with the tips of her thumb, index and middle fingers. He was too caught up by the scene, he didn't realise Tian Zhong over there was also in a state of shock.

 

<She could stop my sword without batting an eye. She didn’t even release her qi. She must be a high-rank disciple!>

 

“Even if we hold any ill will, there is nothing you can do about it. Just stop it already.”

 

His grip loosened, and legs turned into jelly. The boy dropped to his knees, and tears fell with him.

<She will kill me. I am dead. Please just do it quickly.>

 

In contrast to his expectation, the young girl backtracked a step. Her fingers, still holding the sword, showed him how calmly she placed the metal object down to the side.

“Where are you hurt?”

 

Taken aback by the sudden question, it took a while for him to point out the injuries.

 

Upon checking, she concluded. “These are the type that won’t worsen if we move you away. Let’s go then.”

 

<Eh? But…> “Please wait, young lady! I need the qi stones.”

 

“Your life is more important. Let’s just get out of here.” Tian Zhong shook his head.

 

“Please. Please. I really need the stones, young master!”

 

Yun An took out a knife strapping on her waist and hurried to the nearest carcass. “Let’s just quickly get the stones, senior brother. He worked this hard for them.”

 

The boy too grabbed the sword to help out but she denied, pointing at his wounds. “You will make them worse. Stay still and clean the stones.”

 

When the last stone was in his possession, tragedy struck. Not four or ten hounds, but twenty three of such beasts. The scent of blood had piqued the creatures' interest.

 

“Truly a misfortune!” Yun An’s senior unsheathed his sword.

 

Meanwhile, the boy lowered his gaze to the grasses. <This is my fault. Now we will all die.>

 

“Yun An. Take care of your end for a bit. I will finish this as quickly as possible.” Not even waiting for a reply, he entered combat.

 

“Yes, senior.”

 

When the next thing in the chain of causality transpired, the boy stood unmoving. All his brain power was directed to his eyes as he drank he unfolding scene. <For someone my age, his sword qi is... sharp, too sharp! It cleaves through bones just as muscles. I knew by hand how tough and hard those parts were, and yet they were cut into better shapes than chopped meat of well-known butchers. Limbs, heads, cross sections, longitudinal cuts… whatever came into contact with his sword became two pieces!>

 

While being lost at the display of supreme talent, a heavy hitting sound and a whimper disrupted his concentration. Yun An had just kicked a hound in the face. 

 

It was hurt but showed little damage. 

 

She kicked two others, and again they maintained their formation. 

 

<She must have been trying to keep them at bay as told but the beasts wouldn’t even back down a step against those attacks.

She is strong but these beasts are hard to handle without qi. She must have understood this if she went into this place. Why didn’t she use her qi?>

“I am sorry, young lady, if I run my mouth when I shouldn’t, but you have to attack them with qi.”

 

“About that. I can’t use qi. I haven’t reached level 3 yet.”

 

<What? Is this a joke? She hasn’t reached qi manipulation? Then how did she catch my sword? Oh. My sword…>

“Ah. Young Lady. Please use my sword!”

 

“I thank you for your offer but I haven’t learned the sword. You should keep it just in case. I see a few of them eyeing you.” The boy was weirded out as once again, the young girl replied to him with utter calmness.

 

<Who is this lady? She is clearly much younger than me. How could she remain collected in this dire situation?>

 

Knowing the injured boy was an easy bite, the still confronting beast came running. It had decided to ignore the girl who couldn’t hurt it.

 

As if anticipating the move, she caught the neck of the closest beast, gripping it between her body and the catching arm.

 

The boy was completely off-guard. If it was for Yun An, he would have become live meal.

 

She choked the beast under her right arm. Her right fingers generated so much force they dug into the pink throat.

The boy couldn't make it out clearly because of the angle but he surmised her left hand must be grabbing its shoulder or neck right now.

 

The two other beasts grasped the opportunity and went at the occupied girl. Almost simultaneously their jaws latched onto her thigh and shoulder.

 

<It must be hurt, but she didn't let out a sound.

What was I thinking? I need to help her. No, wait. It’s too close. Ghost wave may affect her too. I have to change the angle and attack from their flank.>

 

Before he could start limping into the fray, she let out a heavy sigh as if annoyed.

 

<Why a sigh?>

3