Chap 29 – A chance to look back
64 5 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As they left the store, a group of well-dressed young men entered. The softened voice of the shopkeeper became smaller as they walked down the street.


That kind of attitude from a seller wasn’t out of the norm. They would be polite to whoever stepping into their premise with the assumption of getting extra bucks. However, if they believed the return wasn't worth the effort, they would drop the act. For an established store, there was even less reason to do so. 


<Why spend hours of customer service for a small sum? The cost of their saliva and tongue service isn’t nothing, and they were not that desperate.>

For that reason, she needed a shop that was desperate enough to meet her demand.

<What an irony. I want a shop that is desperate but I look quite desperate myself. I need to cool my head.>

After the fourth disappointment, she let out a sigh. “Senior. If we can’t find what I need in the next shop, let’s go back.”


“You’ve given up already?”


“It’s just a tool. Without an optimal one, some adjustment is warranted. It’s not a big deal. As you had said, enough training will make it possible. I can always look for a sabre later.”


“If you say so.” His tone hinted a gleam of satisfaction.


<I sure was contradicting. I said to myself I fought for self-improvement not winning. Why did I search for a sabre then? Am I desiring victory so badly? I felt so stupid. At the same time, I felt a bit more alive. At least, winning a tournament is a more tangible goal than fighting to improve myself. It’s these palpable motivations that fuel my flame the best. How long has it been since I wanted to win something?>


The last store which she thought would be the one… had already been beyond desperate and gone out of business.

A young man in the neighbourhood, one of the apprentices of the closed-down shop, was kind enough to point them to a nearby city where they could possibly find what they sought. It was much further away from the sect but would only take two hour from here.

“It’s only two hours. If we run, we can make it.”


She shut her eyes by the letdown. Her head slowly shook. “Let’s not do that, senior.”


His eyelids rose. “You said we will visit one more store.”


“And they closed.”


“That counts?”


“I don’t believe in fate, but I will take this as the sign and end here.” 


<Rather than looking around for a weapon, I should have looked inward into myself for an ascending path.> Yun An thought.


They traced back their way.


<Surely I didn’t get what I wanted. I wouldn’t say today and yesterday were a waste.>

Yun An recalled her past life. After those she knew passed away, she stayed secluded in her estate. Too many people had gone. Her withering self at that time did not want to experience another farewell, so she hid away. Her clan consisted of only her by that time, the last member, the last master. She had no children, and she didn’t need new servants. Thus, the faces she met in those days faded away as time marched on. Her world was a shrinking one. It was a stagnant puddle, rotting and evaporating. 

The two walked past an inn.


The scent of steamed buns, of wonton noodles, and of chicken soup assaulted their stomach. The lunch they took earlier did little to hold back her saliva.


As her hunger growled, her feet quickened.


His intelligent eyes caught on her circumstances. 


She laughed as they ran away from the sour and sweet pork. 


The main street was full of people. There were sounds of haggling, of talking, of angry shouting, of children giggling. Washed over by the heat of sunlight, the brilliance of life shone over her once more.


This was not the first time she was on the street of this world. She spent days in Xincheng observing life anyway. However, she walked alone in those days. Her head was filled with objectives, plans, and what to do next. 


When she became a disciple, she had to act with manners. She knew Tian Zhong did that too. They rarely had chances to go together like this.


Him treating her like a kid allowed her to shed the old skin of her soul. Without someone by her side, her world would have stayed dull grey, and life would be oblivious to her.


<To be in companionship with someone equal, this reminds me of him.

Where is he now? Has he been allowed a second chance like me or does he still remain one with dust? Is he strolling down the walking way in a different world like me too? 

Had any of us stepped closer, our lives would have intertwined. Had he not left the realm of the livings so soon, perhaps we would have realised what we were missing… regardless how late it would be. I have no regret for my last life, but… maybe not entirely. 

Ah. My rival.

My comrade.

My companion.

My soulmate.

I will never forget the feeling of our weapons clashing.

How I miss the sound of your breathing, the safety having you watching my back.

Wherever you are.

Whoever you has become. 

I wish you have someone to rekindle your heart as I do.

My too-late love to you, my most cherished friend.>

1