Chap 44 – The First Elder
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Whenever Yun An needed to think, she would get herself comfortable disregarding how the rest of the world view her. This time was no exception.

Xu Feng looked at the contemplating Yun An curiously. The girl had found a good place to sit amidst the judging eyes of her peers and superiors.

<She has met another obstacle she could not deal with directly. First was the Invisible sword challenge. Second was the Formless shell floor, and now this. Although I can’t say how, I have the feeling she will once again triumph.

Getting up. She must have done thinking. Why don’t you show us your solution?>


With her back facing the audience, Yun An raised her fist.


A question mark materialized in Xu Feng's head. <I am sure she's right-handed. Why the left hand though?> 


And then there was shock.


The small hand, fragile and weak, slammed onto the stone floor one after another. After every hammering, tiny fragments were blown over her. Some landed on the young girl. Others littered around her vicinity. There was a rhythm to the pounding, likely tied to her breathing. 


Xu Feng stole a glance from Zhao Ren.


His junior looked like he just stubbed his toe into a table leg, and the guy was happy just recently.


<The last time I had to hold my laughter this hard was at my bastard of a friend’s funeral.> Xu Feng quickly diverted his attention back to his hardworking junior sister. Had he kept looking at Zhao Ren's displeasure, he would have broken out a chuckle.


<The ground between each floor is not thin, but she will dig through eventually. I mean it has been twenty or so raising fists. She has already excavated a few large pieces and tossed them to the sides. I admit she is not the best cultivator but she is intelligent enough to make use of her tools. If no one stops her, it would be a matter of time. Some of my juniors are still in the trance. Seeing something so out of ordinary can be a hypnotizing experience, I guess. I myself took more than a few moments to snap out of it.> 


In the meantime, Xu Feng recalled some of Yun An's previous actions. The most memorable things were her first four fists. She didn’t plow straight through. At first, her fist crashed onto four places around her. Those points can be connected into a rectangle. After that, she stepped out of the box and pulled broken fragments out. That box is the origin of her crater. She didn’t want to turn everything to bits. She cracked the solid floor into large chunks to pull them out.

<That’s smart!> Xu Feng gave his approval.


Then he returned to his dark-face Zhao Ren. <Your plot to derive her of opportunity in turn provided the perfect chance for her to prove herself. She clearly took on the trials which she is ill-equipped against while carrying injuries and managed to pass more than half of them. Even our master is here to witness. Idiot, you are too greedy for short-term gain. Now you painted yourself an enemy to the first senior master.>


“STOP THIS IMMEDIATELY.” Wen Lu (prosperity) yelled. “The trials are designed to test your skills, not to endure your tricks!” He approached the sect master, Ying Feng. “Master. This brat clearly didn’t have any intent to complete the trials. Please fail her.”


<Well, Wen Lu. You have always been the least-mindful of us. With you pulling a stunt like this, Zhao Ren is pretty screwed.>


“Senior.” Tian Zhong addressed Wen Lu. “Yun An has yet to be taught the sect’s martial art. How else do you expect her to complete the trials?”


“How dare you speak to me like that!”


“Tian Zhong will accept any punishment as long as the senior can provide a reasonable answer.”


“You dare-”


“Wen Lu.” A suffocating air blanketed the atmosphere, vibrating from the first senior master’s voice. In the entirety of Xu Feng's time knowing him, he had never felt such dangerous intent from him.


Naturally, Wen Lu shut his mouth and lowered his head.


The first elder of the sect demanded. “I want an answer as well.”


Sweats trickled down his face. Being oppressed by such terrifying force, he could only say whatever was on his mind at the time. “First senior master. Please hold your anger. Wen Lu only speaks the truth.”


“Then according to your logic, she should be failed? Why don’t you rely?


“It- it is as the first senior master has said.”


“Ying Feng.”


Now everyone's attention fell onto the composed sect master.


“Senior.”


“I believe your tournament is to select the best fit to represent us in Gudu. Have I misunderstood this “best fit” as only those who had learnt the sect’s techniques and not the strongest?”

While it is a given that a sect should only delegate the task of representing their school to their students, as long as the one was sent proved to be reasonably powerful, their sect could always make the excuse that they have uncovered a great talent and she or he had passed their ordeal by their own power to be selected, hence, the sect could only be fair and impartial.

More importantly, if they decided to prioritize disciples that could demonstrate their signature techniques but are inferior, that would be nothing short of "sending a joke at a serious conference" the result would be "being laughed at".

Considering the two, it would be better to select the stronger. In short, forcefully imposing the ideology that the representative must fully pass this trial is arbitrary, and is definitely not beneficial to the sect.

“You have made no mistake, senior.” The tone was carefree as always.


“Zhao Ren. What is the meaning of this?”


This time, it was Zhao Ren's turn in the "spotlight". After all, wasn't it Zhao Ren who "forwarded" (orchestrated would be more accurate) this meshiver?


“Senior master. Zhao Ren is innocent. Zhao Ren has nothing to do with Wen Lu.”


As it dawns on him, Wen Lu's forehead touched the floor. “Wen Lu begs the First senior master’s mercy. Wen Lu was stupid. Wen Lu spoke without thinking. Wen Lu shouldn’t have said that.”


The first senior master glared at the sect master.


In turn, the sect master was oblivious to the intense gaze. “Senior. Ying Feng will leave it to your decision.”


The senior master turned to the grovelling Wen Lu. “Wen Lu. I hope this will not repeat again.”


“Absolutely. Absolutely, first senior master.”


“Stand up.”


“Wen Lu is grateful. Wen Lu is grateful.”


As the matter of Wen Lu was finished, the sect master said. “Senior. I do not want to repair this floor. The doors on the second floor are enough of a problem. Let’s get to the last trial.”


“I don’t think Yun An will reject. Let’s do as you suggested.”

0