Chap 46 – One condition
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Yun An, however, has a condition. Please stop the fight in ten minutes. At that time, Yun An will concede.”

“Yun An.” Xu Feng seemed confused. “Are you confident you can defeat Lian Hua in ten minutes?”

“Yun An has no such contemptuous belief. Yun An’s wounds have yet to fully heal. After the ten-minute mark, Yun An should have no further strength to carry on.”

Another of her senior came forth. “Yun An. You do know that this trial is for performance marking, right? Even if you don’t win, it’s ok. You can request for us to stop the match in ten minutes. We will evaluate your performance up to that point.”

“Senior.” Zhao Ren interrupted. “How can we be sure that would be enough to fully judge her? We might make a biassed decision based on that.”

“Senior. It is as senior Zhao Ren has said. Yun An doesn’t want any other complication. If Yun An fails this attempt, there is always the next.”

The slow-witted senior asked. “Yun An. This is not just about giving up a trial. You are willing to throw away your chance to Gudu?”

“Yun An has approached the tournament to improve herself. Going to Gudu or creating results had never been my intention. The notion of coming to Gudu is only interesting to Yun An because I could fight with disciples of other schools of martial art. However, Yun An wouldn’t be able to learn much with an injured body. My master and senior Tian Zhong have already advised Yun An to not overextend for the sake of my recovery, and Yun An found wisdom in their counsel. Furthermore, going to Gudu is a significant matter to the reputation of the sect. Yun An should not be selfish about this.”

The sensibility and clarity of her response cleared off the confusion the audience didn't have the opportunity to voice.

With no other comment, Lian Hua and Yun An got ready for their showdown

Standing in front of Lian Hua, Yun An held the same face as when she clashed with other disciples, no expression other than a full focus on the fight. 

Lian Hua had to silently admitted that this junior master of her was among the rare disciples with such a spirit of improvement.

She is so genuine, brave, and strong. Despite her capability, she had never struck me as short-tempered, unsociable, or arrogant. She is mature enough to manage her social circle. The weird band of Shi Xin, Li Gao, and Fang Xin is the testament. Li Gao and Shi Xin may be tolerable to each other, but they don’t mix with Fang Xin. If there is something that attracts Fang Xin, it won’t attract the other two and vice versa. I believe they sought her for her guidance rather than friendship. The junior master really is the junior master. She is patient. She won’t just pay good to good and evil to evil mechanically. She will assess and act in necessary. Rather than a young genius, she has the wisdom and temperance of a sage (the word Lian Hua used here can be translated exactly into "an experienced that is worthy of veneration"). In comparison to her, my master and even other masters have a lot to learn.

When my master told me of his plan, I was saddened. I don’t want to get on her bad side, but I need this opportunity. Thank heaven, she isn’t attached to the upcoming tournament. After today, I will come and apologize to her immediately. Having someone like her as a friend is nice, but she is not just a girl who doesn’t have a caring family like me. She gives you the feelings that you can lean on, like a great tree. I hope I can be welcomed under her branches too.

“The one grand palm!”

The battle started with a grand move from Lian Hua, one Lian Hua had yet to fully pull off successfully had she not yelled out loud.

This Soundless palm is the greatest in term of overall power, but Lian Hua put even more qi into it than usual. The resulted strike was a giant palm as high as the ceiling. Lian Hua understood how perceptive her opponent was. A normal range attack would be dodged. The only solution was to increase either the speed or the affected area. Of the two, she could only do the latter.

She won’t be able to rush to either side in time to avoid. Hence, I predicted she would stay and endure.

Lian Hua's prediction was half correct.

Yun An stood her ground but not to weather it. She stroke directly at the palm, digging a hole in the grand palm. It was the same kind of fist movement as when she destroyed those images.

Lian Hua accessed the situation. No one told me what those moves were, but the impression on their faces revealed that it must be an astounding technique. She is so strong even with such weak cultivation. It's truly unfathomable what her form would be after ascension.

She steeled her resolve. I need to up my game. This trial is evaluation-based. The better she performs, the more she scores. If I quickly defeat her, she won’t be able to display much of her skills. I would also be able to prove myself... and get my chance at Gudu in a less disgraceful manner than forcing her to give up due to injury (like how her master schemed).

As Lian Hua's barrage of techniques flowed, Yun An calmly intercepted them with sword on one hand and fist on the other.

Lian Hua exhaled a breath of understanding. Now I get why she asked to limit the match to only ten minutes. In these ten minutes, she is almost untouchable.

Dismissed the range tactic, Lian Hua approached her opponent for melee.

The more they exchanged their moves, the more contrast those two demonstrated. Lian Hua's techniques were akin to a stream, they were gentle, fluid, and they never stop. On the opposite side, Yun An's attacks were rigid and decisive.

With the stalemate continued, a revelation darkened Lian Hua's face. Normally, her hardness should be broken by my softness. The delay between her rigid moves should have allowed room for my techniques to leak through. However, that was not the case. Each of her punch generated a disturbance. It disrupted me from making the next move. If I stubbornly stayed within its range, my form would be wavered and my attacks would miss. Instead of softness breaking hardness, her power sent my stream into disarray. I couldn’t let this go on.

Her gears begun turning. I knew she exerted a great deal of stamina on the other floors, but she can continue like this till the end unless I make something unexpected.

In response to Lian Hua sweeping her feet, Yun An jumped to the air.

Anticipating that, Lian Hua delivered a back kick.

The attack was unsuccessful and blocked by her guard.

Lian Hua breathed out a disappointment. Even if I know I need to do something to make her expend more stamina, I have no idea what could work.

Lian Hua chased after Yun An, who was still knocked back by the back kick, and unleashed two inferior Grand palms.

They met Yun An by her fist and partially overwhelmed her.

Yun An was further pushed back and slammed onto the wall. 

This much is too slow. She won’t be exhausted like this. I have one choice, but this will be dangerous to her.

0